I don't know if this is common but I just got the phone and upon trying to charge it the charger is emitting a high frequency noise once plugged into the wall without and with the phone attached. It sounds like the mosquito ringtone, is this common?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-10 11:06 PM
    no, it's not normal. I have a lamp that does that and it drives me nuts cause it's in my bedroom. I'd pick up a new charger if I were you, or if it's under warranty, see if your service provider will send a new one
    05-25-10 11:11 PM
    That is def not good! I'd get a new one asap. If you bought it from a store they'll probably swap it out no problem.

05-25-10 11:14 PM
    That is def not good! I'd get a new one asap. If you bought it from a store they'll probably swap it out no problem.

Rogers actually shipped the phone to me. Luckily my iphone wall charger works with the USB cord. Should I call RIM directly?

05-25-10 11:18 PM
    sounds like a magnet broke loose and is rattling. you should get it replaced, as it may not be operating properly and at the right voltages required.
    05-25-10 11:22 PM
    Well the phone is amazing I'm not to mad the charger doesn't work

05-25-10 11:26 PM
    Its just a noisy capacitor or transformer. No biggie. If it bothers you though, get ya a new one or charge your phone through your PC.

05-25-10 11:41 PM
    Well the phone is amazing I'm not to mad the charger doesn't work

This can happen in electrical devices where voltage is transformed and shouldn't have any ill effects other than being an annoyance. My electric shaver charger and LCD monitor do the same thing.

05-25-10 11:44 PM
    Never have had this problem with any appliances but the sound is unbearable.

05-25-10 11:51 PM
    since its from the company get a new one. regardless if your iphone charger works or not. u its a new device u need working accesories
    05-26-10 12:16 AM
    since its still a new device i say u get another one.
    05-26-10 12:17 AM
    I called RIM and they can't just replace the charger they have to replace the entire phone. So just a headsup if you are on Roger's a two day old refurbished Bold 9700 will be going up for grabs soon.
    05-26-10 10:37 PM
    Its not broken. It's just interference with the frequencies. I've seen it happen with TVs, Stereos, Computers..etc. Plugged and unplugged. You have some other electronic device to close to it. Move it and it will go away or try facing it in a different position.
    05-26-10 10:45 PM
    I tried different outlets all around my room/powerbar no powerbar/phone in/phone out. The USB wall charger for the iPhone does not have this issue...
    05-26-10 10:46 PM
    Take it from an electronics tech with 15 years experience... Its a noisy cap or transformer inside the charger. It happens... I promise. :-) has nothing to do with outside interference or vibrating magnets. Sometimes caps and transformers just resonate due to inherent harmonics during operation. If the noise bothers you, get a new charger. Other than that, its okay. :-)

05-26-10 11:23 PM
    They're sending me a whole new phone which is a pain in the arse but I am semi dependent on the charger as the USB cable they supply is not very long and can't reach my desk from my tower.
    05-26-10 11:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD