Maybe I'm just a newbie at this, so please enlighten me if I'm missing something here, but just a warning to those who might order replacement parts like a new screen or case and try to replace on their own- don't!

I had an 8120 and accidentally scratched the screen, so I looked at the DIY video on how to dissassemble the case. Looked very easy, and figured I'd buy the new screen, and replace it myself. Bad idea. After I got the replacement screen, I disassembled the case (it was very easy btw), but noticed that the screen is just held on by way of form fitted double sided tape. Without this tape, the screen will not stay on the case, even if you screw else everything together. This double sided tape also serves to keep dust from entering the screen btw.

So, after trying many times to transfer the tape to the new screen (the tape is cut to exactly fit the screen), I finally got some, but not all of it transfered (some of it just balled up and got ruined when I pulled it off the old screen). Needless to say, the replacement screen didn't hold well, and also let dust in the phone. To make things worse, when putting the torx screws back in to tighten up the casing, my heavy hands turned one too many turns and ended up completely snapping off the heads on 2 of the 4 torx screws!! LOL. I ended up having to send my phone back to Blackberry for a repair (at my expense) for my dumb@ss mistake. Good thing I guess, however, is that they ended up never receiving my phone (blaming FedEx for a bad delivery), and after a month, sent me a new replacement for free. So just a warning out there to you DIYers.... don't try to change out parts unless you have all the pieces and know how to do it right! I will say, however, that it would've been nice if the vendor who sold me the replacement screen mentioned that it is affixed to the case by way of double sided tape!!
    07-23-08 01:38 PM
    you talking about the actuall LCD screen or the plastic that cover the protects the lcd screen???
    07-23-08 04:57 PM
    you talking about the actuall LCD screen or the plastic that cover the protects the lcd screen???
    The plastic see thru cover that is part of the case and covers the LCD screen.
    07-23-08 05:17 PM
    Yikes! What a horror story! I WAS considering taking my pearl apart and change to color coat, but not after this story.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-08 07:06 PM
    I have seen some of the lens covers include tape on them already. I wonder if these would work better?
    I was going to order a new battery cover and lens cover this week... now I may have to look into this a little bit more. thanks for the heads up.
    07-23-08 07:17 PM
    I have seen some of the lens covers include tape on them already. I wonder if these would work better?
    I was going to order a new battery cover and lens cover this week... now I may have to look into this a little bit more. thanks for the heads up.
    If you can find one with the black double sided tape on the lens cover, then I think it will work (mine didn't come with any tape), but be VERY careful when you screw the torx screws back in. They will snap rather easily if you tighten too much (and you wont' be able to back them out...ask me how I know). Good luck.
    07-23-08 07:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD