I have unearthed what I think is a design and/or manufacturing flaw in the Case-mate brand Smart Skin for the Blackberry Bold 9000.

This is a pretty good "skin" type of covering for the Bold, and it covers most of the buttons as well as the body etc.. It is a rubbery wetsuit for the majority of the BB, and it comes with a screen-protector, so essentially 95% of your BB is covered up with only the ports out to the world.

But: It doesn't fit right.

Details below in next post ...
    Last edited by cliftonprince; 06-13-09 at 10:34 AM. Reason: remove images, put 'em in next post
    06-13-09 09:56 AM
    I got a Case-mate Smart Skin for a Bold from a vendor and promptly slipped the BB inside it. But this is what I discovered:

You can see the little lump in the body of the thing, on the edge by the USB port. With or without the BB inside it, the Smart Skin is slightly warped at that location:

I thought maybe I had stretched it during installation, or it had gotten kinked during shipping (it was in original packaging, but that was crimped inside a slightly smaller padded envelope when it arrived in the mail). So, I emailed some pictures to the vendor, who was very good about offering to replace it. In his correspondence he said, "I've never seen one like this before." The vendor had paid for shipping as part of purchase price (I think $17.99) and when I shipped it back to him, I paid for the shipping. He then paid for shipping a new one to me. However, the new one has the same problem:

I haven't even opened the packaging, and this time it wasn't crimped during shipping because he put it (inside its original packaging) inside a much larger box. But the lump is still there.

I think this is a flaw with the design of the Case-mate Smart Skin. I also have a Seidio Innocase 360, which performs the same function (roughly), though it is not a soft wetsuit, and costs more. I think I'm going to have to say that my Case-mate Smart Skin is a failure.

Case-mate Smart Skin here:

https://www.case-mate.com/BlackBerry...Skin-Cases.asp

06-13-09 10:32 AM
    i used mine for a week same thing happened. and the keys were loose and really off the device.
    06-13-09 05:39 PM
    this is slightly disheartening...huge thanx for the honest review and feedback on the case, sorry for your misfortune.
    06-14-09 02:25 PM
    This has happened to me to.The case fit snuggedly for a few days and then it just warped like ou posted. I no longer use it.
    06-14-09 02:43 PM
    I have been using the same case (although in black) for a few weeks, and overall I am quite pleased with it. I have not had the problem with warping above the usb/headphone jack ports, but my keyboard cover has loosened up a bit with use. I found a workable solution for this is to fold a business card in half and insert it between the case and the back of the blackberry. This pulls up some of the slack, and makes quite a difference when typing.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by raoult; 06-14-09 at 06:40 PM. Reason: doubled footer
    06-14-09 06:38 PM
    Mine is warped as well. but it isn't very durable. I have small tears/cuts in the letters that I use the most. I am SOOO disappointed. Since i've had to do numerous battery pulls it has since ripped in one corner as well...
    06-17-09 04:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD