Hey all,

First post, a short review of the Case-Mate Signature Case/Holster Combo. I just purchased a Blackberry 8830 a week ago and was looking for a case that offered some protection and had a classy look. The Case-Mate seemed to fit the bill.

BlackBerry 8800 Signature Case/Holster Combo

The Case fits the 8830 snugly and offers some protection while keeping the bulk down to a minimum. The only complaint here is that the top of the phone is a bit exposed which I will go into in more detail later in this post.

The Case fits well into the holster although it does take a bit of acrobatics to get the phone and case out of the holster without actually pulling the phone out of the holster sans case. This seems to have gotten better as the case has broken in. My main complaint with the holster is that the belt clip is rather flimsy in that the spring is rather week and the whole unit can pop off your belt as mine has several times. By comparison the OEM holster belt clip has a much firmer spring and has not failed to keep the whole assembly firmly clamped to my belt. The other issue with the holster is that there is no magnet to activate sleep mode.

The final straw with this case/holster for me happened yesterday when getting out of my car at work the whole unit again popped off my belt and this time landed on the concrete parking lot. As I said earlier most of the phone is protected by the case but the top of the phone is exposed and wouldn't you know it, that is where I now have a couple of nice gouges in my week old Blackberry. The case and holster did not hold up well either considering it only fell 2 feet. The leather ripped way too easily on both the case and the holster. I am carrying my phone in the OEM holster until my new Otterbox arrives this afternoon....
    Last edited by rstaaf; 04-02-08 at 11:31 AM.
    04-02-08 11:26 AM
    I like the OtterBox case best. If anyone's looking to buy an OtterBox case for their BlackBerry (and iPhone - I actually know people who has both, crazy huh?), I just read on a blog from Semsons & Co. Inc. that they are offering free shipping for OtterBox case purchase. Here's the site and coupon code: semsons.blogspot.com. Their prices are really good and without having to pay for shipping, that's like a steal.
    04-02-08 02:33 PM
    thanks for the good write up
    04-06-08 07:50 PM
    well done i won't be buying one lol
    04-06-08 08:03 PM
    it's your own loss
    04-07-08 02:43 PM
    04-07-08 04:33 PM
    I saw that review and have to say it was a major factor in my initial decision to purchase the Case-Mate combo. I think the comments about its protection though are not based on any actual testing.

The comment about having to fall down the stairs to cause any damage brought up a chuckle after reading it again considering my experience. My Case-Mate holster AND case are trashed from simply falling 2 feet onto a parking lot. I would hate to see what they would look like after a tumble down a flight of stairs. I have real doubts the Blackberry would remain in the case as well.

Now that I have the Otterbox and have had time with both, the Otterbox is far and away the better solution!

To be frank, I would recommend the OEM holster over the Case-Mate at this point.
    04-07-08 04:43 PM
    Yeah, the OtterBox is good at offering the maximum protection, but some people don't like its bulkiness and think it "uglifies" their berry. Sure OtterBox could have made their cases slimmer and sexier, but then that wouldn't offer much protection, and it'd defeat OtterBox's purpose and goal of keeping BlackBerries safe.
    04-07-08 05:58 PM
    I saw that review and have to say it was a major factor in my initial decision to purchase the Case-Mate combo. I think the comments about its protection though are not based on any actual testing.

The comment about having to fall down the stairs to cause any damage brought up a chuckle after reading it again considering my experience. My Case-Mate holster AND case are trashed from simply falling 2 feet onto a parking lot. I would hate to see what they would look like after a tumble down a flight of stairs. I have real doubts the Blackberry would remain in the case as well.

Now that I have the Otterbox and have had time with both, the Otterbox is far and away the better solution!

To be frank, I would recommend the OEM holster over the Case-Mate at this point.
    Actually I did test the device for the review, as my wife said "What's that noise? Quit throwing stuff!"

Dropped it on hardwood flooring
    Dropped it down carpeted stairs onto a tiled floor
    Tossed it across the lawn

I still have the case, it will probably outlive me!

Yet I find myself still using the OEM case, coupled with a skin.
    Last edited by blundell; 04-09-08 at 12:33 AM. Reason: adding stuff
    04-08-08 06:51 PM
    Hey all,

First post, a short review of the Case-Mate Signature Case/Holster Combo. I just purchased a Blackberry 8830 a week ago and was looking for a case that offered some protection and had a classy look. The Case-Mate seemed to fit the bill.

BlackBerry 8800 Signature Case/Holster Combo

The Case fits the 8830 snugly and offers some protection while keeping the bulk down to a minimum. The only complaint here is that the top of the phone is a bit exposed which I will go into in more detail later in this post.

The Case fits well into the holster although it does take a bit of acrobatics to get the phone and case out of the holster without actually pulling the phone out of the holster sans case. This seems to have gotten better as the case has broken in. My main complaint with the holster is that the belt clip is rather flimsy in that the spring is rather week and the whole unit can pop off your belt as mine has several times. By comparison the OEM holster belt clip has a much firmer spring and has not failed to keep the whole assembly firmly clamped to my belt. The other issue with the holster is that there is no magnet to activate sleep mode.

The final straw with this case/holster for me happened yesterday when getting out of my car at work the whole unit again popped off my belt and this time landed on the concrete parking lot. As I said earlier most of the phone is protected by the case but the top of the phone is exposed and wouldn't you know it, that is where I now have a couple of nice gouges in my week old Blackberry. The case and holster did not hold up well either considering it only fell 2 feet. The leather ripped way too easily on both the case and the holster. I am carrying my phone in the OEM holster until my new Otterbox arrives this afternoon....
    Hmmm, sounds like you have the defective accessory there. I own one myself and in regards to the "belt clip is rather flimsy in that the spring is rather weak", well definitely say it's defective. The only thing I have against this accessory is the trouble of taking it off from the case in cases where you have to do a battery pull. That's about it.

Check where you got your accessory from and it should be covered with manufacturers warranty. But from your story, it is already too late for that -- you dropped it too many times
    04-09-08 11:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD