Just picked up the new Case-Mate woven leather (looks like carbon fiber) replacement back for the Bold yesterday. I have to say it looks awesome...hats off to Case-Mate for coming out with something that looks way better then the OEM piece.... and, for $19.99.

What was funny (funny odd that is) is when I went to the Case-Mate kiosk at the Mall near my house they had styles and colors that are not on the Case-Mate web site. I asked the guy who manages the kiosk what was up and he said that Case-Mate just got the styles he had in yesterday and they had not had an opportunity to post them on the web site. On the web site you will see black, red and brown. At the kiosk they had black and silver woven leather; red, green and brown Croc style leather. I give these a 5 stars out of 5 stars. Good job Case-Mate!

By-the-way, their other leather cases are absolutely beautiful. Not cheap, but very nice. The woven leather slide case and matching leather belt clip holder for the slide is something like $65. Like I said, not cheap, but the nicest looking case I have ever seen for the Bold. Check out their web site!
    BlackBerry Bold BackPack - Case-mate
    Last edited by wezra; 01-25-09 at 11:25 AM.
    01-25-09 11:22 AM
    Great company.
    Unfortunately this particular product falls a bit short of the usual quality.
    Much thinner than OEM. (Flimsy)
    Fit and engagement with release tab poor.
    Leather cover has exposed edges which have curled up from holster place.
    Handling is great except the feel of the leather edging at perimeter.
    Conclusion - Great concept , looks good, poor design or build.

Case Mate has produced good products but this one is a bit unfinished.
    Save yourself the shipping costs and wait for improvements.
    01-25-09 11:47 AM
    Great company.

I wonder if they have already made improvements. The one I got has a chrome piece where the camera and flash are... not the black piece as shown on the web site. So far mine has been fine, not problems. That said, I will keep my eyes open and if it has issues, back it will go. I got mine at one of their kiosks at a Mall near my house.. .so not shipping involved.

Also, no problem with the release tab... it locks down fine. As far as the edges go, I do see where their is a thin layer of black adhesive around the contact point where the leather meets the rim of the back. It is very uniform and not really noticable. The edges seemed to be turned in and under. Again, the guy at the Case-Mate Kiosk told me that the ones shown on the web site are earlier versions and the ones they got in Friday nights shipment were fresh from the factory. So perhaps they have made those improvements you were hoping for. I do agree that the piece itself is a little thinner then the OEM piece, but for me that is not an issue. It still looks a lot better.
    01-25-09 06:12 PM
    Great company.

dang!!! i was thinking to get one... the black one of course :P but after reading your review, i'm backing off and wait for a new one with improvements
    01-26-09 06:40 AM
    I bought two and they look great but I have to agree with the review. Pretty flimsy and the fit is not quite right. I have not used them enough to see if they curl or not.

d
    01-26-09 10:01 AM
    I bought two and they look great but I have to agree with the review. Pretty flimsy and the fit is not quite right. I have not used them enough to see if they curl or not.

d
    Im glad i didnt order one since alot of people being saying that there not that great..
    01-26-09 01:04 PM
    For the price I'd be willing to toss it after 6 months and grab a new one. How does it feel? It looks like it doesn't feel like leather, which is what i'm looking for. Also, does it interfere with the holster in any way?
    01-26-09 03:18 PM
    From the looks of the pics on Crackberry the covers come across as seeming maybe a tad thicker. Can someone confirm the device still fits in the OEM charging pod as designed?
    01-26-09 03:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD