I have been told that one should have a listing in one's Address Book for ICE (In Case of Emergency), so that if (God forbid), one ends up in an accident, the paramedics would know who to call once they got hold of one's phone. So, I have "ICE - Husband - [his name]", and "ICE - Sister - [her name]" in my Address Book on my BB.

Then I got to thinking; would the paramedics know how to get to my Address Book on my 8300 Curve? Just checking the phone log (like they always seem to do on the CSI and Law & Order shows) would not work in my case, because I'm OCD enough to have everyone (including my husband and sister) listed by last name.

Now, I normally have my phone in the holster on Keyboard Lock (shortcut key K), and when you press any given key while it's in that state, the screen that is shown is pretty much blank except for the data from Owner Information.

So; I went to Options > Owner Information and put in:

[My Name]
    ICE - Husband
    [his name and phone number]
    (Speed Dial - Hold Down R Key)

To Unlock Press Star (A) And Green Together

My hope is that if EMS gets my phone, they will see this information on the locked screen, and know what to do and who to call.

I am not entirely happy with this idea; mainly because the locked screen does not stay up for long when you press any given key.

Soooooo....I welcome ideas as to the best way to convey information to the paramedics, when you are (God forbid) lying there unconcious, and they have your BB and want to figure out how to get in touch with your Person.
    06-30-08 03:27 PM
    thats brilliant....and very helpful. I heard about ICE but never used it before...I think this might inspire me to do so...thanks!
    06-30-08 03:31 PM
    big thread on this already.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/ice-...ergency-17562/
    06-30-08 03:34 PM
    Mea Culpa, Yester18; I ran a search on "ICE", but everything and nothing came up, if you know what I mean. I suppose this means that there really is nothing new under the sun!
    06-30-08 03:43 PM
    I just tried to use a speed dial H for HOME when my phone was locked and it wouldn't go through even though I have it set to still be able to place calls in locked mode. Thought I'd let everyone know..........
    06-30-08 04:28 PM
    I have numbers listed under 'dad' and 'mom' so that should cover it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-08 06:15 PM
    No worries Kathyryn and as a Vol FF, I can tell
    you it is really nice when we look at someone's
    phone, get that info and can relay it to the PD or ER.
    Is it common for an EMT/FF to look at the phone though? I think putting it on the lock screen is the best idea, but I wonder if they would even check the phone. Maybe because the ICE e-mail is so popular, they do now?
    06-30-08 06:39 PM
    Wow do you really lock your keypad? I am not in the practice of doing that. I like to be able to use my habit when I want to with out going thru all kinds of hoops before using it

I have a few family members in the police and fire professions, I guess I will have to ask if they really do that.

I did happen to find a cell phone (not BB) in the parking lot of our local Rec park and they did not have it locked. I was able to figure it out to find the address book and call a family member to come back and pick it up. So I guess that is one reason not to lock it.

Just my simple 2 cents worth.

06-30-08 08:58 PM
    I have been told that one should have a listing in one's Address Book for ICE (In Case of Emergency), so that if (God forbid), one ends up in an accident, the paramedics would know who to call once they got hold of one's phone. So, I have "ICE - Husband - [his name]", and "ICE - Sister - [her name]" in my Address Book on my BB.

Then I got to thinking; would the paramedics know how to get to my Address Book on my 8300 Curve? Just checking the phone log (like they always seem to do on the CSI and Law & Order shows) would not work in my case, because I'm OCD enough to have everyone (including my husband and sister) listed by last name.

Now, I normally have my phone in the holster on Keyboard Lock (shortcut key K), and when you press any given key while it's in that state, the screen that is shown is pretty much blank except for the data from Owner Information.

So; I went to Options > Owner Information and put in:

[My Name]
    ICE - Husband
    [his name and phone number]
    (Speed Dial - Hold Down R Key)

To Unlock Press Star (A) And Green Together

My hope is that if EMS gets my phone, they will see this information on the locked screen, and know what to do and who to call.

I am not entirely happy with this idea; mainly because the locked screen does not stay up for long when you press any given key.

Soooooo....I welcome ideas as to the best way to convey information to the paramedics, when you are (God forbid) lying there unconcious, and they have your BB and want to figure out how to get in touch with your Person.
    it would be best to set up ICE1 as home and ICE2 as a back up anyway thats the way i did it and most EMS'S know to look in your cell phone it has been out now a couple years and it started in Europe.
    06-30-08 09:19 PM
    My ICE is also part of my Owner info and displays when my keyboard is locked. I'm sure EMTs have come across this before, so I'm not worried. I also keep a card in my wallet with the same info.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-08 09:23 PM
    There has been allot of talk about using ICE in your cell phone since 9-11 and although it is a great idea for your emergence contact information, chances are most of the people that will access this is the hospital or law enforcement. I am a Paramedic and Firefighter and in my years of experience, my priority is you, the patient. Not contacting your family. This may sound mean to some of you but let me try to put it in perspective. Let's say for an example, you are in a car accident. Your injuries are life threatening. My main priority is you and doing what I can to stabilize you until I can get you to definitive care, ie the hospital. I'm sorry but I am not going to waste valuable time trying to find contact information to contact your family. Chances are if your phone is in your car the state patrol will look for your ice info and contact your family. If if it on your person, the hospital will do this. If your injuries are not life threatening I have had a patient contact there family en-route to the hospital as I'm treating them. ICE is a great idea but in my humble opinion, it's not something that I, as your caregiver is going to be looking for if my main priority is saving your life. Just wanted to give another perspective.
    Last edited by ffmedic2112; 07-01-08 at 06:18 AM.
    07-01-08 06:03 AM
    Great thread. There are some great points of view here. Thanks ffmedic, for your input and especially your service.
    07-01-08 06:22 AM
    I have a entry in my Curve Titled EMERGENCY in it is my Wifes number as Mobile and my Daughter number as Home Hopefully God forbid something happens they can find that Listing. Great Thread
    07-01-08 06:33 AM
    I dont know about where you live but here in Florida the DMV has started something like this. you can go online and and ICE to your drivers license numbers. you have the choice of listing who to contact with there name, address, who they are to you, and there phone number so if something was to happen to you the cops can swip your drivers license and get that information.
    07-01-08 10:37 AM
    Great solution for you tatoo that sh!t on your forehead! LOL I think you got enough info on your home screen.
    07-01-08 10:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD