So I've heard from some people that you should buy a good quality charger that is specified for your exact phone. Others say mini usb is all the same and the phone has built in limits that exempt it from over charging itself. Can any one here confirm or negate these facts.

Bottom line is I want a car charger for my Verizon curve, however I do not want to buy a cheap POS and have it blow up my phone like James Bond got to it. (exaggerating a little bit). I also don't want to spend $30 dollars from Verizon.

I've seen the car chargers in the store here on crackberry. Two separate, each about $8 apart in price. WTH? Why? I can only assume that they would not endorse a product that would harm our phones. But you never know. Honest mistakes happen. Any insight on this matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks all!!
    06-04-08 01:51 AM
    While I believe it is safe to charge it with any USB type charger, I myself would not use a cheap charger. I use my wall charger in my work van connected to a AC/DC converter. Also looking at that fact you can probably be safe using the inexpensive charger.
    06-04-08 01:56 AM
    I have a $5.00 car charger I bought from a local Family Dollar Store.
    It have had it for quite some time and have used for my Pearl and Curve (all the time, I use the GPS and have been listening to music on the way to and from work) and my wifes Razr and have had no negative effect whatsoever.
    06-04-08 02:04 AM
    So I guess the different prices in chargers must be quity. I should go into verizon and ask them to price match. If they say no then I will ask them what makes their charger so much better? Maybe its the Verizon logo on the side! Ha ha.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-08 02:14 AM
    Edit* quity=quality
    I need to get some sleep. Spelling is getting bad.

06-04-08 02:18 AM
    So I guess the different prices in chargers must be quality. I should go into verizon and ask them to price match. If they say no then I will ask them what makes their charger so much better? Maybe its the Verizon logo on the side! Ha ha.

I'm sure branding has something to do with it, but honestly I use my cheap car charger everyday and there has been no degradation in battery life, my phone hasn't exploded, buildings haven't collapsed, the sun hasn't started rising in the west, men are not screwing dogs in the street...
    06-04-08 03:06 AM
    Perphaps the issue isn't price, but quality. What I mean is what if the quality of each charger is the same? Maybe they differ ever so slightly, but overall, the same? I'm not an engineer, but I don't think the components that make up a charger is that advanced. I think that it is just a marketing ploy. After all, equipment isn't where the moneys at. The moneys in the services and the accessories. So save yourself a few bucks and buy the cheap one but if you really can't sleep at night then the $30 will be well worth it.

06-04-08 03:17 AM
    I use a Verizon car charger for my Curve, works fine. I bought way back when I had a Moto Q, I bought the charger @ BJ's for $25 with a leather case & headset. I also use a cheap $5 wall charger @ work & it also worked fine on my old Razr, Q & now my Curve.

06-04-08 04:08 AM
    For good price check on ebay.
    06-04-08 04:20 AM
    I had an ebay cheapie car charger that worked fine.... until one day the wires going into the plug started getting loose. I didn't know it and it shorted out my BB somehow. I tried everything to get it working again but it was toast. I threw the defective charger out and bought the $30 one from Verizon and I could imediately tell the difference in quality. It doesn't charge any faster but I know it isn't going to let me down either.
    The ones from Crackberry are probrably just as good if not better than Verizon's. (I just couldn't wait for it cuz I needed it that day, or I would have bought from here)
    Don't trust the ones from ebay to last very long! Possibly damage your phone!

06-04-08 04:58 AM
    A charger, a bj, a leather case & a headset for $25????

What a great value! Only in America!

06-04-08 09:36 AM
    My wife works for T-Mobile in a retail store, and they sell the same USB car charger for every phone. I have used the same car charger for a Razor, my Pearl and my Curve with no problems. The funny thing is that if you try to plug you BB into a Motorola wall charger, it will not work.
    06-04-08 01:16 PM
    Just make sure the voltage and amperage of the charger are compatible with your phone otherwise you could do some serious damage to your battery (i.e. venting with flames/explosions).

Quality is definitely an issue when it comes to chargers. I have used cheapo eBay chargers in the past and they'll last me a few months and die or break. I definitely wouldn't trust my BlackBerry to some cheapo charger. I would rather pay $30 for a charger than $300+ to replace my berry!

Semper Fi,

~Marine39
    06-04-08 02:15 PM
    Yeah, voltage and amperage have to match your device if not you're asking for trouble.
    06-04-08 02:21 PM
    I have a bunch of Motorola wall chargers and they have the same specs as the BB charger (ymmv). I have a Motorola car charger and it works fine with the BB. The only difference is the "M" trademark on the Moto charger. They all have a 5V/550mA output.
    06-04-08 03:12 PM
    There really isn't much to a charger. There is even less to a car charger. Their are some resistors and diodes that change the power output Voltage, and in the case of a wall charger, transform the current from AC (alternating current) to DC (direct current). The price difference is a result of economics.

I think all electronics have to go through UL (Underwriters Laboratories) and the FCC to make sure that they meet the requirements that they are advertised to meet. For instance, if a product is listed to produce output of 5.0 V : 550mA from an input of 100V-240V (like our Blackberries call for), and it has the FCC or UL mark, then it will be OK.

There are many reasons that account for the price difference, too much for this post, but some are marketing, advertising, materials (plastic housings, LED lights), and packaging.

I would not buy a charger that does not have the UL or FCC markings either on the product or the packaging. But if it has the markings then it will do what it says and your Blackberry will never know the difference.
    06-04-08 04:30 PM
    The funny thing is that if you try to plug you BB into a Motorola wall charger, it will not work.

I beg to differ. I've charged my 87, 88, and now 83 series bb on a razr v3 charger, and the moto s9 charger (still, thanks for the christmas gift cb!) with no qualms.
    06-04-08 05:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD