Is it recommended to buy a blackberry charger or a T-Mobile charger vs. one from walmart?? is there any difference??
    09-10-09 11:25 PM
    Yes, there are differences. That's not to say you can't find an after-market charger that's completely compatible (i.e. amps, polarity, voltage, etc.) with your device. However, if you don't know how to determine exactly the specificaitons of both your device and the charger(s) you're considering, I'd suggest going with one from RIM; which you can get form your carrier.

Although there are many 3rd party chargers available, they're generally generic in nature. You need one that matches exactly to your device so as to not damage the charging system or the battery. A lot of after-market chargers, namely the multi-tip type ones you get to fit multiple phones, will overcharge. That's the kind of thing that can be damaging.
    Last edited by stew721; 09-11-09 at 03:06 AM.
    09-11-09 03:03 AM
    although i do agree somewhat with stew721's post regarding voltage, amps and polarity, i think its pretty safe to say that any generic or branded charger should work just fine. i use a motorola wall and car charger for my 8900 and have no issues. although some devices, like motorola phones, sometimes only accept a charge and data transfers from motorola branded chargers. blackberrys seem to accept both generic and other branded USB cables, wall chargers and car chargers.

the only thing i will NEVER recommend is using non OEM blackberry batteries in a blackberry device unless its from a reputable company like seidio. i would never try to cut corners by using one of those $10 knock off, ebay batteries.
    09-11-09 03:09 AM
    But why? would you use a $5 charger on a $500 phone? the Sprint branded one looks as if it is made by Rocketfish and if you go to Bestbuy you can get it for 19.95 retail which is 10-15 dollars cheaper than Sprint. But the BB Branded one seems a little better not much if any than the Rocketfish although the Rocketfish''s light is cooler. But the Walmart generic ones defintly feel like cheap china made crap and they are 14.95. Hope that helps! My opinion from my investigative visits to all three places, but went with the BB one.
    09-11-09 04:10 AM
    The BB will take charge ranging from 100ma via your USB cord, 250 ma via the regular car charger, 700 via the regular BB charger, all the way up to 1300 ma for a speed charger, which is the charging safety cutoff for the device.

Some cheap chargers can overheat and fail, that is one of the primary things to watch out for. I had one fry my Katana's charging port 3 years ago, so I generally avoid the el-cheapos when you can get decent ones off of Amazon for a song.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-09 04:23 AM
    i would prefer a proper branded one over the $2.99 ebay special any day of the week, twice on sunday. my point was that people shouldnt have to fear and pay $20-$30 for a carrier branded charger, when $10-$15 OEM ones can be purchased online or here on crackberry and work just as well.
    09-11-09 04:49 AM
    Good info Bergerking, I like that.
    09-11-09 05:06 AM
    I have car charger the out put is 5.5V 700mA, is it safe to charge BB?
    The original BB charger is 5.0V 700mA.
    09-11-09 08:18 AM
    Bought mine from Amazon for like $5. It was a Blackberry OEM charger and was REAL and not a knockoff.

Sometimes you find great deals that are real when the sellers have an overstock or are trying to drum up business.
    09-11-09 09:29 AM
    I have car charger the out put is 5.5V 700mA, is it safe to charge BB?
    The original BB charger is 5.0V 700mA.
    most electronics have a range for voltage. my portable Yaesu VX-2 HAM radio requires between 5-6 volts for its charger. it usually hovers around 5.5V on the screen while plugged in. im sure the half volt difference wont damage anything.
    09-11-09 09:36 AM
    Go RIM or go home.
    09-11-09 10:29 AM
    Yes, there are differences. That's not to say you can't find an after-market charger that's completely compatible (i.e. amps, polarity, voltage, etc.) with your device. However, if you don't know how to determine exactly the specificaitons of both your device and the charger(s) you're considering, I'd suggest going with one from RIM; which you can get form your carrier.

Although there are many 3rd party chargers available, they're generally generic in nature. You need one that matches exactly to your device so as to not damage the charging system or the battery. A lot of after-market chargers, namely the multi-tip type ones you get to fit multiple phones, will overcharge. That's the kind of thing that can be damaging.
    A few things here:

The cheap chargers are not going to "overcharge" the battery. The battery has a charging circuit within it that will protect it from overcharging. So overcharging is not a concern to have regardless what charger you are using.

The current is not really that important because that will just determine how quickly the battery charges. The lower the current output of the charger, the slower the battery will charge and vice verse. What is important is the Voltage out put on the charger. A USB connection is a standard and that standard has a specified output voltage of 5V with a tolerance range of 5.25 and 4.75 volts. All of these chargers are supposed to follow this range but clearly not all do as mubarik mentioned having a charger with an output voltage of 5.5 V (I would not use that thing if I were you).

The problem of damaging your device and your battery comes into play when the charger does not step down the voltage from the car's battery correctly and you get fluctuations outside of the tolerance range. Low Voltage really isn't an issue but high voltage will damage the circuit. That could be the battery's charging circuit at best or a part of your device at worst. I am not trying to say that cheaper brands will do this nor that expensive (name) brands will not do this, it can happen with a charger. On average, though, cheaper brands will be more susceptible to causing problems just because since they are cheap they did not go through as much testing and quality control. With all that said, a cheap charger can be great and last you a long time but there is also the increased risk of damaging your device.
    09-11-09 10:51 AM
    Thank you aristile, now I know exactly how to charge my BB with proper charger.
    And also thanks to dictoresno, I'd prefer not to use my car charger and try to find another original BB car charger.
    09-11-09 05:47 PM
    No problem and you are welcome!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-09 07:43 PM
    Informative post. I am currently looking for a car and extra travel charger.
    09-17-09 10:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD