I know Verizon sells the OEM car charger, but you can get a standard mini usb charger on ebay for a couple of bucks shipped.

2 Questions.....

1) Are there really any differences between the generic ones on ebay vs the Verizon ones that cost $20 or $30?

2) I only use the car chargers when I have no other choice, but I've heard charging with the car charger is not good for the battery. Any truth to that?

Thanks.

Rob (patiently waiting for my storm to be delivered on Tuesday!)
    12-14-08 09:50 AM
    1. Not really. Just make sure it's outputting 5V at 500-800mA.

2. No, it's not bad for either the car's battery or the Storm's battery.
    12-14-08 09:57 AM
    I've decided to pay the extra tariff and only buy OEM products from Verizon or BlackBerry for charging my Storm (less my corporate discount). I can just imagine having a warranty issue and being told that the charger or some other accessory was the culprit.
    12-14-08 09:58 AM
    Just for reference, I think it is micro USB. There is mini which is what the 8830 and others used.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 09:59 AM
    Will this work with the Storm? http ://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320324613952

(remove space after http)
    12-14-08 10:18 AM
    I bought a cheap generic car and home charger from ebay with leather case for $9.99 with free shipping. Both chargers worked and charged the phone. The box says the charger was for "MOT V8/V9". I dont know which Motorola phone uses the same charger. But it works.
    12-14-08 10:41 AM
    I've decided to pay the extra tariff and only buy OEM products from Verizon or BlackBerry for charging my Storm (less my corporate discount). I can just imagine having a warranty issue and being told that the charger or some other accessory was the culprit.
    People are SOOOOOOOOOO gullible. How would Verizon know you used a generic charger? They would only know if you're stupid enough to tell them or include it in the return. There is no physical evidence that you used a aftermarket charger. I get a corporate discount of 25% off and I still wouldnt even buy it. Same when I worked at GameStop/EB. I got 10% discount and went and bought my games else where.

Thats like putting a invisible shield, BSE, ghost armor instead of Verizon's and screen chips or cracks. All you have to do is remove the aftermarket screen protector.
    Last edited by y2bandit; 12-14-08 at 10:46 AM.
    12-14-08 10:43 AM
    For those of us who have a bunch of mini-usb chargers, you can get an adapter, which goes from mini-usb to micro-usb. I bought a few on eBay for about $5 each.

They work great with the home chargers, but not so well with my older Blackberry car chargers. I expect it's because the older car chargers, as in the one for the 8703e, don't have enough power for the Storm.
    12-14-08 10:46 AM
    I knew someone would love that post. There are two things called honesty and peace of mind. I subscribe to having both.
    12-14-08 10:47 AM
    No that charger won't work. It is a mini USB charger that works on motorola and some windows mobile phones (probably other ones also but not sure). It is more boxed than a very thin slit like the one the storm has.

Very short, no that one from Ebay won't be compatible with the Storm
    12-14-08 10:57 AM
    I knew someone would love that post. There are two things called honesty and peace of mind. I subscribe to having both.
    All my chargers and cases are aftermarket. Here is another example even though they wont mention it would void warranty...using bluetooth. You dont use Verizon or OEM brand but use a cheap generic and you no longer have audio.

But to each their one. Those who want OEM products only and those who go cheap. I go cheap so as long it works (and I know it wont damage the phone). I tend to swap phones once every 1-2 years and sell them on eBay if I dont need it. I only go OEM depending on products.
    12-14-08 11:15 AM
    I picked up a Motorola brand car charger from Walmart. It was packaged for their RAZR, but they both have the same plug. It was about $8 or so.
    12-14-08 11:20 AM
    Not to hijack the thread, but I'm an OEM guy too.

Not for fear of warranty...I agree that if the phone's broken, about all VZ will do is look to see if the 'moisture' strip on the battery/compartment has been lit up. Beyond that, I don't think they'd do much forensic work on the cause of the failure.

I just like OEM stuff. If an OEM charger was right next to an aftermarket charger on the display stand, I'd buy the OEM, even if it were more expensive.
    12-14-08 11:21 AM
    When I had Nextel back in the day, I bought a few chargers off of eBay that were not OEM, and I had bad luck with them breaking and/or being so cheap they fell apart. For the Storm, I bought an OEM charger when I bought the phone in store.
    12-14-08 11:21 AM
    This isn't rocket science.. these car chargers.. either they put out the correct voltage and current or they don't. You aren't getting ANYTHING special by buying OEM except lining the pockets of the OEM.

I could understand this arguement if it was some very complex component.. but it doesn't get much more simple than these car chargers.

But, to each their own..
    12-14-08 11:23 AM
    I buy my chargers off ebay for a few bucks, and have had the "verizon brand" (probably a generic with a verizon sticker put on it), they seem to work about the same.
    12-14-08 11:23 AM
    I bought a cheap ebay car charger for this phone got it and though man this is pretty cool *had a retractable coard* plugged it in worked fine. Pulled it out the damn thing broke in my ciggerate lighter got stuck in there and now my cig lighter is useless need to figure out how to get the damn thing out!!! UGH should of spent the extra $ and got oem
    12-14-08 12:35 PM
    I grabbed mine from walmart for seven bucks on sale. Hate the store but can't beat the price!
    12-14-08 12:56 PM
    I usually only buy OEM when it comes to anything that involves power or batteries.
    12-14-08 01:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD