Is it a bad idea to have a BlackBerry (or any phone for that matter) plugged into the charger when starting the car? I read that can cause a surge.

Thanks.
    06-05-10 07:49 PM
    I've never had a problem with it, and my rig uses 4 times the batteries as your average car.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-10 07:58 PM
  3. T
    Typically all power when starting the car is diverted to the starter motor. That means there's a momentary lapse of power to the cigarette lighter until the car starts, at which point power to the charger/BB is restored.

As for surges, they are normally created by the load itself, in this case, the BB. I would be surprised if the BB would create any kind of a surge because of a lapse in power.

I've forgotten to unplug my laptop a few times when starting the car. It's probably okay to do, but I try to avoid doing so just to be on the safe side. (I've heard that electronics might be sensitive to power fluctuations.)
    06-05-10 08:46 PM
    For me, I may plug in a charger before I start my truck but I only connect my Berry, GPS, etc. after it's running, not sure if any damage would actually occur, just kind of a habit thing in my case. I have friends who constantly have chargers plugged in & the first thing they do is hook up their phones & then start their cars & they don't seem to have a problem, but like I said, it just may a case of preferace.
    06-10-10 08:18 AM
    That sounds like good advice. It seems to me the starting of a car could deliver quite a jolt to a phone.
    06-10-10 09:08 AM
    I would feel safer if the Lighter Plug had a surge suppressor. The 5.v converter in the charger plug would take the hit before the device. That failure could cause 12.v to hit the device POOF
    06-10-10 10:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD