I received my "official" RIM car charger (for my 8900) yesterday in the mail.. When I used it in my car earlier, with the phone's power ON, no charging icon showed up on the battery icon, like when I charge it at home. When I turned the phone OFF, the LED flashed the normal way when it charges.

I tried several times, in both charging outlets in the car. Is this normal, or any helpful info?

Thanks in advance.
    08-04-09 01:14 PM
    so when you had it plugged into your car did it charge the phone at all?
    08-04-09 03:26 PM
    Only when the phone's power was off.
    08-04-09 03:28 PM
    Well, why did you say "official?" So its a fake and they lied to you? Or you're just saying that because its not charging and its making you mad? Maybe your car has to be on? Was your car on? And are you sure it was a proper charging outlet to plug it into?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-04-09 03:30 PM
    Could be the unit is defective and not outputting the required Amp's to power the phone and charge. My phone has the charging icon when plugged into the car charger.
    08-04-09 03:41 PM
    Well, why did you say "official?" So its a fake and they lied to you? Or you're just saying that because its not charging and its making you mad? Maybe your car has to be on? Was your car on? And are you sure it was a proper charging outlet to plug it into?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I say "official" because there's tons of chargers out there not made by RIM. AT&T stores do not have the RIM-branded chargers. No one lied, nothing is fake. Car was on and running. I tried *both* power outlets, with neither working (again, only when the phone is ON). Both these same outlets worked with my last phone & charger (Curve 8310).

Could be the unit is defective and not outputting the required Amp's to power the phone and charge. My phone has the charging icon when plugged into the car charger.
    It might very well be that, I'm not sure. I'm happy to know yours shows the charging icon, as it confirms that *something* is going on here. Thanks.
    08-04-09 03:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD