Hello,

I just purchased my first BB and need a car charger. I would like to get the OEM one made by BB, but Verizon charges 29.99 and I couldn't find anything on the net for less. I spent hours yesterday looking. Another thing is I'm afraid that I will buy one of the ones that don't really charge, but only provide power to save your battery. I don't know the difference when I am looking at them. Does anyone know if the real/right one I'm looking for has the number ACC-04173-001 and where I can find the best price?

Thanks,
    Sanr

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-08 07:42 AM
    Ebay is your best bet. I've never had a problem with no name chargers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-08 07:44 AM
    I bought one of those spring loaded mini usb cables and a cigarette plug with2 usb ports. keeps things from getting tangled up and I have 1 extra USB port to charge something else. Dont think I spent more than 15 bucks and I have something I can use for several different devices.
    05-20-08 07:58 AM
    Does anyone know if any kind of USB cigarette lighter charger will work with my phone? I bought a Griffin charging thing for my iPod and it came with a miniUSB cable. It charged when I first got my Curve, just so I can play with it while driving, but I didn't want to let it fully charge, just in case.

As long as it's miniUSB, will I be ok??
    05-25-08 06:41 PM
    Does anyone know if any kind of USB cigarette lighter charger will work with my phone? I bought a Griffin charging thing for my iPod and it came with a miniUSB cable. It charged when I first got my Curve, just so I can play with it while driving, but I didn't want to let it fully charge, just in case.

As long as it's miniUSB, will I be ok??
    Mind you this is just my experience, but yes. I have used the cable from my camera (Toshiba) printer (HP) and just about any mini USB lying around on both my Pearl and Curve with no negative effect. I recently bought a car charger from a Family Dollar Store for $5 and that works perfectly also.
    05-26-08 09:19 AM
    I'm not as worried about using the cable, but I'm more worried about using the little part that goes into the cigarette lighter hole and has a USB plug input that I'm plugging the cable in. I just want to make sure it's putting out the right about of amps/volts.
    05-28-08 01:13 AM
    davidg4781,

You are correct. You need to make sure the amperage is compatible on the charger or you can destroy your device. The BB charger should be putting out 5V at 0.7A. Sure others will work if it's close but this might reduce your device's life expectancy. It's always best to use OEM chargers - I know $30 is ridiculous for a charger but it beats the $300 you'd have to spend if you fry your phone. At least that's how I look at it.

Semper Fi,

~Marine39
    05-28-08 01:56 AM
    On ebay you can pay less than $10.00. Why pay more. Check by yourself.
    05-28-08 06:28 AM
    Yeah, I've usually found OEM chargers on eBay or Amazon for a lot less than from Sprint or the manufacturer's site. With BlackBerry ones though, it's been a bit harder to find them since they don't have a model number I can use to search for. And on eBay, they're usually just stock photos instead of photos of the actual product.
    05-28-08 11:49 AM
    daydeal.com always has a variety at a good price
    01-05-09 11:46 PM
    I have been using the charger from an old phone to charge my BB and BT. Works fine.
    01-06-09 12:03 AM
    This car charger on eBay looks interesting and I'm thinking of picking it up. Any thoughts or anyone with personal experience with it?
    01-09-09 09:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD