Do you guys use the car charger that verizon sells or just a random one purchased online? I feel like the one at the store is like $30 but they are extremely cheap online. Does cheap = crappy when it comes to car chargers?

This one is only $8 including shipping...

click here
    03-25-09 03:26 PM
    I did buy the one in the verizon store. My thinking was I knew the phone only came charged a little and I have a 45min. drive home. I figured if I charged it all the way home I would have more time to play with it. If I wouldn't have had that mindset I would have bought one online for cheaper.
    03-25-09 03:34 PM
    It is always a gamble when you buy anything not OEM, I just live by these words so I dont have any issues, its just not worth the the time/$ to go the cheap way. JMO. Brian
    03-25-09 03:38 PM
    i have purchased cheapo phone chargers on ebay before with no issues. Not for my Storm, though...

Just check teh feedback on the seller; if they have high ratings, they are more than likely a legit business. But warning: I recommend avoiding the ones that are sold from China, I was burned by a guy in China a long time ago for selling bogus USB flash drives.
    03-25-09 03:47 PM
    Although I did not go do a search for this topic, it has been discussed in the past. I believe the result was mixed. some people have not had a problem with after market car chargers, while others have.

Personally, I have one from the Verizon store and have not had any problems with it.
    03-25-09 03:54 PM
    For something like a charger, I would recommend going the OEM model.

I have heard of people having issues with cheapo ones.
    03-25-09 04:01 PM
    I use to use a "USB" accessory (cigarette lighter) adapter with the micro-USB cable, but found the unit did not charge well. I went out and bought a dedicated car charger for the Storm, and I found it charged as well as the wall unit. I think there is a specific charge circuit that has dedicated charging circuitry than a regular USB micro cable connected to the computer/cigarette lighter/etc.

I have found that my computer hooked up to the Storm with a USB micro-cable does not charge my Storm well (if at all). Only the BB wall unit or the car charger works well.

Just my $0.021 ($0.02 with 5% Massachusetts tax....)

Cheers,
    B.D.
    03-25-09 04:05 PM
    I bought a combo car and wall charger on ebay for $13... Car charger is great... Wall charger went in the trash as it made my touchscreen not work and had random reboots while pluged in.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-09 04:08 PM
    I bought an oem blackberry car charger on ebay for 10 dollars plus shipping (5 dollars because I'm form Canada). It works great and even shuts itself down when fully charged.
    03-25-09 04:10 PM
    My car charger is my usb cord!!!!!!
    03-25-09 04:11 PM
    i got mine on ebay, 2 for 5.95 free shipping. ive used it once, seemed to work fine. i liked it because it is a retractable one.
    03-25-09 04:47 PM
    Have always bought the cheapies and never the oems. Never have had a problem and ive bought at least 5 of em for various phones.
    03-25-09 05:16 PM
    I got the one from Verizon for free (they offered it as a peace offering for all my complaining lol)
    03-25-09 05:28 PM
    There's a few opinions on this here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/wou...-bucks-189025/

I've used aftermarket chargers for a long time on all sorts of electronics. Never had a problem. Just make sure you're getting one with the proper specs, like voltage. Just because a charger has the tip to fit your Storm does not mean it's the right charger.
    03-25-09 05:34 PM
    There's a few opinions on this here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/wou...-bucks-189025/
    I read briefly through that thread and someone said
    verizon has then for 9.99 and then 25% vip discount ....
    Is their one at VZ for the Storm that's only $10? And when I was in there a few weeks ago they Rep told me I had a 30% VIP discount, did he misspeak?
    03-25-09 05:54 PM
    I bought a package at Costco that consisted of a car charger, bluetooth headset, and power adapter. $60. They all seem to work just fine.
    03-25-09 07:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD