hey all

just wanted to make sure i am not out to lunch,

so basically any Mirco USB car charger should charge the storm? i dont have to buy a storm specific one?

i picked up a Sanyo micro usb charger and i think it should work, is this right or wrong?

thanks alot
    02-07-09 06:29 PM
    Stick with OEM chargers whenever possible
    02-07-09 06:35 PM
    Correct, mine was like two bucks on ebay.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-09 07:01 PM
    Technically you should try and stick to a charger that is charging at the same rate that the OE charger does. The one that ships with the Storm charges at 700mAh or .7Ah. Batteries don't like to be charged too fast, causes excess heat and kills them over a shorter time than is normal.

Jason
    02-07-09 07:14 PM
    Chargers are the one time OEM is a must. Bad chargers end up costing way more than the right one would have been. One cost me a phone battery and another cost me a car battery.

02-07-09 08:01 PM
    BTW, that's a USB 2.0 connection. 'Never heard of a micro USB connection, and I'm in IT.
    really? the USB 2.0 connection goes into the computers 2.0 USB port, the micro USB end goes into the phones micro USB port. The storms USB cable has a 2.0 connection and a micro USB connection on the other end.
    02-07-09 08:25 PM
    Now thats funny!
    02-07-09 08:29 PM
    really? the USB 2.0 connection goes into the computers 2.0 USB port, the micro USB end goes into the phones micro USB port. The storms USB cable has a 2.0 connection and a micro USB connection on the other end.
    I hear ya. The manual for about every portable device (gps, camera, etc) I have calls it a micro USB...
    02-07-09 08:45 PM
    BTW, that's a USB 2.0 connection. 'Never heard of a micro USB connection, and I'm in IT.
    Are you serious or being sarcastic? Micro USB is the physical form factor of the plug going into the Storm. USB 2.0 is a version of USB. You can have many different form factors for USB 2.0 cables/devices. They are not mutually exclusive.

Edit: The cable that comes with the Storm is a USB 2.0-rated cable with a "type A" plug on one end (going to PC) and a "micro B" for the Storm.
    Last edited by buxleyp; 02-07-09 at 08:52 PM.
    02-07-09 08:47 PM
    I think the major diff is one charges the other transfers data. I have a cord that splits and supplies power through a "micro (colored red)" and transfers data through a black end. It csme with a 4 port hub.
    Micro is just the physical connector shape and size. Micro has nothing to do with charging vs data-only. All micro USB cables with 4/5 pins should charge and transfer data. For example, the OEM micro USB cable both charges and allows data transfer. For someone who claims to be in IT, it's surprising that you post bad info.

See: Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To the OP, in general, you're ok with anything that's micro USB and outputs 500mA @ 5V (which is the USB spec), or up to 700mA (the OEM wall charger's output). However, some people on this forum have reported problems with non-OEM car chargers. Symptoms typically include the Storm freezing while charging.
    02-07-09 09:16 PM
    The BB charger is 700mh and the VZ charger is 800mh. Odd thing is my battery will not fully charge with the BB but will with the VZ one. Wonder why

02-07-09 09:23 PM
    I bought one that had a retractable cord for $2.95 from some cell phone accessories website and now it's stopped working. I guess I got what I paid for. FAIL.

I think imma stick with OE stuff now since I get 25% off on VZ accessories anyway.
    02-07-09 09:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD