My boss just bought himself the Tour and one thing I noticed right away is that they put the USB port on the right-hand side. It is pretty close to the middle of the chassis. That means that you can't charge the phone when it is in the official OEM holster. Come on guys!! Why?!?!

Otherwise, this is an awesome BlackBerry. Everything that the 8330 should have been!

P.S. RIM: as long as you're fixing the USB issue, please add the track-pad option as well

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-09 08:07 PM
    Sure you can - just put it in upside down...I do this at night when charging in bed...keeps the screen from gathering dust/hair/etc overnight...which this thing seems VERY prone to...and I have a super clean house, no animals...and am well groomed...heh. Only thing with putting it in upside down, is the sleep mode won't automatically kick in, so plug it in, and then manualy put the phone in standby.

08-20-09 08:11 PM
    Middle of the chassis.. mine's at the bottom right, maybe 1/4 way from the bottom. No where near the middle.

And what USB issue is there for RIM to fix? Just the fact you can't charge it in the holster? That's not an issue to fix, imo. Get another holster (the OEM one sucks anyway) that will let you charge it while its in the holster, or just remove it from the holster to charge it.

What's next? I think I'll complain that I can't use my desktop charging pod while my phone is holstered!!
    08-20-09 08:12 PM
    Come on-theres no need for that. People have complained about lesser issues...I agree that it is annoying to have to flip the phone upside down to charge it in the OEM case-and agree that the new USB location isint the best spot it could possibly be in...but we will simply have to make due.

Middle of the chassis.. mine's at the bottom right, maybe 1/4 way from the bottom. No where near the middle.

And what USB issue is there for RIM to fix? Just the fact you can't charge it in the holster? That's not an issue to fix, imo. Get another holster (the OEM one sucks anyway) that will let you charge it while its in the holster, or just remove it from the holster to charge it.

What's next? I think I'll complain that I can't use my desktop charging pod while my phone is holstered!!
    08-20-09 08:23 PM
    why the hel* would u charge a phone in its holster to begin with????
    08-20-09 08:25 PM
    why the hel* would u charge a phone in its holster to begin with????
    To help keep the excess heat generated when charging the battery closer to the device, of course!

08-20-09 08:26 PM
    To help keep the excess heat generated when charging the battery closer to the device, of course!

seriously, I just watched on the news about Iphones catching on fire and exploding, and now if people are charging there Tours in its holster there gonna burn up theres too.... people need to use there brains
    08-20-09 08:28 PM
    seriously, I just watched on the news about Iphones catching on fire and exploding, and now if people are charging there Tours in its holster there gonna burn up theres too.... people need to use there brains
    Perhaps you should look at your own advice..."in its holster they're gonna burn up theirs too.... people need to use their brains."
    Last edited by xlGimmieWarlx; 08-20-09 at 08:55 PM.
    08-20-09 08:53 PM
    Grammar/spelling police to the rescue!
    08-20-09 08:56 PM
    Well, I charge my Curve in the holster every night. It has the USB connector in a perfect spot. So far no fires. Maybe the Tour is different.
    08-20-09 09:53 PM
    The iPhone issue is unrelated. Charging your Tour in a leather holster is no different than charging it on your bed, or wherever. It can still breathe in the holster. When I take it off the charger in the morning, it isin't any warmer than it would be if it were charging on my bed, or desk, or in the dock.

08-20-09 10:01 PM
    Though it is rather hilarious that IPhones have been exploding. I'd actually pay good money to see this happen in person, providing nobody got injured.
    08-20-09 10:09 PM
    i didnt read the replies but what i do is just put the phone in top down and then it can be charged in the holster. works fine for me,.
    08-20-09 10:16 PM
    Ditto...my ipod touch dosent ever even get warm, and I have one of those "more-thing" back casings on it...btw, have you ever seen those outrageous videos of some lunatic putting electronics in a blender? I think you'd get a kick out of that...I'm pretty sure they did an iphone a while back...I forget the website name, and the name of the sketch they do...google iphone and blender and I'm sure you'll find it...f'ing hillarious!

EDIT: Its called "Will It Blend?" ... Lmao...go google it!

Though it is rather hilarious that IPhones have been exploding. I'd actually pay good money to see this happen in person, providing nobody got injured.
    08-20-09 10:20 PM

Will It Blend? | Presented By Blendtec

haha!! I'm set for the rest of the night now. This is going to be an awesome evening!!
    08-20-09 11:04 PM
    Not a big deal for me, either. Call me a dip**** but I charge mine in the case, upside down, as well.
    08-20-09 11:08 PM
    Sure you can - just put it in upside down...I do this at night when charging in bed...keeps the screen from gathering dust/hair/etc overnight...which this thing seems VERY prone to...and I have a super clean house, no animals...and am well groomed...heh. Only thing with putting it in upside down, is the sleep mode won't automatically kick in, so plug it in, and then manualy put the phone in standby.

+1. This is how I charge mine in the holster.

08-21-09 12:09 PM
    Ditto...my ipod touch dosent ever even get warm, and I have one of those "more-thing" back casings on it...btw, have you ever seen those outrageous videos of some lunatic putting electronics in a blender? I think you'd get a kick out of that...I'm pretty sure they did an iphone a while back...I forget the website name, and the name of the sketch they do...google iphone and blender and I'm sure you'll find it...f'ing hillarious!
    ROTFLMFAO @ the IPhone in the blender. AWESOME. Thanks for making my night!
    08-21-09 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD