I got a Torch about a week ago and also purchased a BB leather magnet case that was recommended as an accessory. In the center of my screen there was a dark spot that was not there when I first got it. I returned the BB and got a replacement but was wondering if the magnet would have caused it? I know what magnets do to monitors and TVs so wondered if that was the cause. I need a case with a clip but am afraid to use the one I have with the new BB. Has anyone else had this problem?
    01-26-11 07:20 PM
    The Magnet in these holsters are very weak, I doubt it can cause any damage. I have been using my 9800 with the OEM leather holster for about a month with no damage at all. And I also had an OEM holster with my 9000 and used it for over a year with no damage! So you should rest easy
    Crippy likes this.
    01-26-11 07:31 PM
    I've never heard of the magnet affecting the LCD screen. It was probably just a plain ol' lemon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Crippy likes this.
    01-26-11 07:33 PM
    It happens. My AGF case left a noticible dark circle in the middle of my screen. How ever I have a protector on the screen and that was what discolored, no damage to the actual screen. The circle does disappear with cleaning and time. Best cure is to holster the BB so screen is facing the clip.

01-26-11 07:58 PM
    I use the leather pouch and I've had no issues or "damage".
    01-26-11 08:14 PM
    It happens. My AGF case left a noticible dark circle in the middle of my screen. How ever I have a protector on the screen and that was what discolored, no damage to the actual screen. The circle does disappear with cleaning and time. Best cure is to holster the BB so screen is facing the clip.

How did the AGF case damage the screen? It doesn't even touch it.
    01-26-11 11:22 PM
    How did the AGF case damage the screen? It doesn't even touch it.
    if you look it the poster said there was no damage to the actual screen but that the circle was infact on the protector
    01-27-11 12:03 AM
    I've always used the magnetic holsters and no damage.

01-27-11 12:32 AM
    The rep at the at&t store advised me to always face the screen the opposite direction of the magnet. She just said it was not good for the screen.
    01-27-11 09:07 AM
    The rep at the at&t store advised me to always face the screen the opposite direction of the magnet. She just said it was not good for the screen.
    LOL!

Sorry but the magnet has no effect on the screen.
    01-27-11 09:36 AM
    The holster, if it has a clip or a magnet does affect the screen. It presses into the screen and causes damage. My wife had her 8230 curve replaced because of this reason. She then took a 9300 Curve. We don't realize it but it happens.
    01-27-11 01:59 PM
    And kind of pointless. If you have the phone out of the case, and then lay it against the front of the case, the screen blanks as if it is in the case. Flip the case over and lay the phone on the case, the screen blanks as if it is in the case.
    01-27-11 02:07 PM
    I've got my Torch in a BB holster, but I also put a screen protector on it the day I bought it. 4 months and no marks or anything on the screen. I had my Bold in the same holster for almost 2 years and it never had a problem either, and that was without a screen protector.
    01-27-11 02:45 PM
    if youre using the holster at&t recommended, then yes it can damage the screen. the actual blackberry case wont damage the screen. the way the case is designed (at&t recommened one), is very poor. i put a screen protector on my first torch, that way it wouldnt bother my screen. its left a nasty black mark on my screen (from the magnet actually pushing on it, not because of the magnetic field). a magnet alone wont bother the screen, but that case actually pushes the magnet INTO the screen. i returned the case btw. and they said i was the only one to have that problem...........
    01-27-11 11:50 PM
    I can confirm I have also now had this same problem. I purchased the standard (non-Blackberry) holster from the AT&T store and added a ZAGG screen protector. Within less than a week the dark spot showed up on my screen protector. I'm guessing this is more from something in the case (near the magnet) rubbing off on the screen protector. Either way I got a new screen protector installed free of charge and plan to return the case the AT&T.
    01-28-11 12:56 AM
    it's an LCD, not the old CRT screen.
    01-28-11 08:43 AM
    I can confirm I have also now had this same problem. I purchased the standard (non-Blackberry) holster from the AT&T store and added a ZAGG screen protector. Within less than a week the dark spot showed up on my screen protector. I'm guessing this is more from something in the case (near the magnet) rubbing off on the screen protector. Either way I got a new screen protector installed free of charge and plan to return the case the AT&T.
    That's more an issue with ZAGG's screen protectors. My friend had a yellowish smear on his Storm with an Invisible Shield on it back in the day. It was probably dirty buildup or something.
    01-28-11 12:06 PM
    The holster with a magnetic flap that ATT recommends is DEFINITELY defective. I bought a White BlackBerry 9800 Torch and after 1 day, I noticed that the screen protector has a round stain on it and I also got a round stain on my white lid. I brought it back to ATT and the sales person promptly replaced the screen protector and the lid. He also said I need to remove the sticker at the back before putting the phone into the holster and he suggested me to put the phone into holster with the screen facing the clip to avoid getting the stain.

I put my phone into the holster facing the clip and surely the screen protector does not stain anymore, however, I see the round stain form on my lid again!

The salesman's suggestion of putting the phone facing the clip is incorrect: the blackberry comes with a proximity sensor, it will turn the screen light off to conserve battery power when it senses the magnet; it will render this feature useless if you put the phone away from the magnet.

I am definitely returning the holster.
    03-06-11 02:40 PM
    I carry my Torch in a BB branded case w/ magnet.. No matter which way I face the phone, it senses the magnet.. I face the screen towards the clip as I have a bad habit of hitting the case off walls and chairs and don't wanna shatter the screen.. Any magnet pressed up against the phone will shut yer screen down as it's supposed to..
    03-09-11 07:40 PM
    it's an LCD, not the old CRT screen.
    This, end of thread.
    03-09-11 09:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD