Hi, I have a car lighter-socket charger that I got on eBay for my iPod awhile back and rarely use. It plugs into the cigarette lighter just like other car chargers, but instead of having a built-in cord, it has a USB jack in the back. You plug it into the lighter socket, then you plug a USB cord into it and then plug that USB cord into your iPod.

I was wondering if I could use this charger to charge my BB in the car, since the BB comes with a USB cord.

The specs of the charger, as listed on a little sticker, are as follows:

Input: DC 12V-24V
    Output: DC 5V 5%
    Max: 1000mA

I just don't want to blow or otherwise ruin my BB, so I haven't hooked it up yet. It's an aftermarket iPod part that I've never even tried with my iPod.

Any ideas? Would it be ok to use this item to charge my BB?
    10-27-09 04:38 PM
    Hi, I have a car lighter-socket charger that I got on eBay for my iPod awhile back and rarely use. It plugs into the cigarette lighter just like other car chargers, but instead of having a built-in cord, it has a USB jack in the back. You plug it into the lighter socket, then you plug a USB cord into it and then plug that USB cord into your iPod.

I was wondering if I could use this charger to charge my BB in the car, since the BB comes with a USB cord.

The specs of the charger, as listed on a little sticker, are as follows:

Input: DC 12V-24V
    Output: DC 5V 5%
    Max: 1000mA

I just don't want to blow or otherwise ruin my BB, so I haven't hooked it up yet. It's an aftermarket iPod part that I've never even tried with my iPod.

Any ideas? Would it be ok to use this item to charge my BB?
    That is the standard USB voltage spec. The current capability is higher than required by your Tour. The charger should charge your Tour with no problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-09 08:19 PM
    thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot!
    10-28-09 04:57 AM
    So anyway I tried using the charger. And it charged the bb to about 75% and then stopped. The little lightning bolt disappeared. Unplugged and replugged in a couple of times, still no lightning bolt.

So I took the BB off the charger, used it for awhile, then put it back on and it started charging again. I took it off, not wanting to hurt the BB, so I don't know if it would have charged it back up to whatever level.

Curious: why would this charger stop at 75%?
    11-02-09 02:18 AM
    Maybe because the Amps are different?
    11-02-09 09:25 AM
    like they're purple and the Tour needs blue amps?
    11-02-09 01:56 PM
    Maybe because the Amps are different?
    That there is more current capability in the power supply than the device being charged requires to charge properly will not cause it to not charge fully. The BlackBerry charging circuit will only take as much power as it needs. As long as the power supply can supply it, as it clearly can in this case, the BlackBerry should charge properly.
    11-03-09 08:29 PM
    Would it be ok to use this item to charge my BB?
    I heard a news report the other day. I believe it is was about the United Nations and a vote to endorse "green chargers." The idea of the green charger is a universal charger that could be used for all mobile devices. Today these devices wind up being tossed into landfills whenever anyone changes their device of choice to a new brand ... ie: you throw away the Motorola charger when you buy your BlackBerry.

Apparently Sony is the first cell-phone company to sign on and agree to only start manufacturing and marketing green chargers. Others will follow of course.

Benefit to the cell-phone manufacturers is that over the long run, they'll stop supplying chargers with new phones and you'll wind up buying a universal green charger whenever you need one.

It will be the trend of the future.
    11-03-09 08:45 PM
    That there is more current capability in the power supply than the device being charged requires to charge properly will not cause it to not charge fully. The BlackBerry charging circuit will only take as much power as it needs. As long as the power supply can supply it, as it clearly can in this case, the BlackBerry should charge properly.
    so the only thing I can come up with is the charger is out of spec. Which wouldn't surprise me because it's cheap.
    11-03-09 08:48 PM
    That wouldn't surprise me either. Car chargers are the most unreliable source of power for your BlackBerry.
    11-03-09 09:12 PM
    If the non-BB charger is not in spec (even though it should be), is there any chance that it will damage the BB?

Thx...
    11-07-09 04:33 PM
    yup, there's definitely a chance. I would say more likely than not it simply won't charge the BB, but you definitely run a risk that it will fry it. I'm annoyed that I'm going to have to spend at least $20 on yet another accessory for the phone, but it's better than blowing a $500 phone.
    11-07-09 04:38 PM
    Darn -- my BB is a work phone and I've misplaced the travel charger. I was hoping that I could use one of the many other charger cords I have. (At least 2 of which have a mini-usb end...)

They won't even provide the usb/mini-usb charger/data cord for PC use; afraid that we'll reset the email sync and mess things up. :-)
    11-07-09 05:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD