I have just installed the Bury System 8 Car Kit as well as the System 8 Base Station in my helicopter in Australia.

I have installed two independant systems, one for the front and one for the passenger cabin.

Both systems have independant external antennae connected that are located approximately 4 feet from each other on the underside of the aircraft fuselage. The antennae mountings are installed in a honeycomb / composite section of the aircraft so there is no chance of metallic interference or sheilding - or at least much less than a normal car or truck.

The connections, wiring and signal strength have all been tested and the integrity of the installation is excellent.

The distance of the antennae cable to the actual base station is maximum 7 feet.

I am operating the Blackberry Bold 9000 off the Telstra Next G Network.

I have been flying around both heavy and less densley populated areas on the East Coast of Australia

My problem is the following:
    When the handset is in the cradle and I have a positive Bluetooth connection with the cradle, the signal strength indication on my Blackberry is the same as when I take it out of the cradle. It is as though the handset is only connected to a basic cradle without an external antennae. I was expecting to see full bars on the signal strength pretty much all the time. I am still getting pretty much the same coverage as I had before the external antennae were installed.

I am experiencing this from 0 feet and all altitudes up to 7000 feet.

I cannot understand how the Handset is supposed to have the signal strength enhanced if there is nothing that seems to connect it to the cradle apart from the little battery charging pins that contact the handset when it is the actual cradle.

I noticed on the Bury 8 System Cradle for the Blackberry Bold 9700 that it has a mini USB port on the top left hand side that physically connects the 9700 to the cradle. Is this only a power source or does it provide a direct connection to an external antennae? The reason I ask is because if it does connect the handset directly to the cradle and external antennae, would upgrading my 9000 to a 9700 solve my signal reception issues?

Thanks for any help or advice.
    07-16-10 03:02 AM