So, I don't know what I'm expecting out of this post, but I figured I'd share.

I bought a car charger for the Tour on ebay, a generic one for $4.95. This one: Retract Car Charger for VERIZON BlackBerry Tour 9630 - eBay (item 140338887082 end time Aug-10-09 20:34:42 PDT) I plug it in and the battery shows the lightning bolt like it's charging, but the battery doesn't take the charge. In fact, while it's plugged in, while using it, the battery will actually go decrease in power!

I've tried 3 different chargers, 3 different Tours, and 3 different cars, all the same result. Any ideas?
    08-10-09 10:08 PM
    I would check the fuse that is located in the charger.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 10:11 PM
    How would I get that out? And, would it be that with all 3 different chargers??
    08-10-09 10:13 PM
    Probably not sending enough juice to your phone to get a charge going. That's what you get for buying cheap stuff on eBay I suppose, big bummer. At least it will slightly decrease battery consumption than not using it, according to your report.
    08-10-09 10:22 PM
    Actually, what meant I say, maybe it didn't come through, is that even with it plugged in, the battery still decreases in power while being used.

I bought a cheap charger for the Curve and it worked flawlessly, I figured this would be the same deal.
    08-10-09 11:20 PM
    How about buying a mini USB to micro USB adapter so you can use the good curve's charger on the tour?

08-10-09 11:40 PM
    not a bad idea skyboxer....
    08-11-09 12:08 PM
    Hey Sultan, I bought that same retractable charger and it's working fine, so maybe it is actually the fuse inside the thing on yours.

Initially I did get the mini to micro USB adapter for my Curve charger and tried to use that, and it made my Curve charger overheat in a major way... kinda scary, so I dumped that and bought the cheapie one above.
    08-11-09 12:13 PM
    Yeah! Don't buy cheap chargers. You buy a $500.00 phone and a $5 charger whats wrong with that picture? Plus if you read your manual you will see that there are only two specified chargers for the phone which both are made by Blackberry and really if it is not approved by Blackberry they could void your waranty.
    08-11-09 12:19 PM
    How about buying a mini USB to micro USB adapter so you can use the good curve's charger on the tour?

I tried that with my OEM mini USB charger and it did not work. As soon as I attach the device the light on the charger goes out. Dont know why. the adapter works fine on the OEM A/C charger though......

I guess it could be the adapter. The one on the A/C is a Motorola branded adapter and the one on the car charger is a no-name.
    08-11-09 01:13 PM
    Yeah! Don't buy cheap chargers. You buy a $500.00 phone and a $5 charger whats wrong with that picture? Plus if you read your manual you will see that there are only two specified chargers for the phone which both are made by Blackberry and really if it is not approved by Blackberry they could void your waranty.
    A charger can void my warranty? That's interesting, I've never read that, could you point to that information so I can read more about it?
    08-13-09 09:53 AM
    ^ Yup, that is interesting...
    08-13-09 12:53 PM
    +2, very interesting...
    08-13-09 12:57 PM
    Anyone have proof of that? I'm very curious now. Of course, I know it's not true so I'm not THAT curious
    08-13-09 03:06 PM
    So, I don't know what I'm expecting out of this post, but I figured I'd share.

I bought a car charger for the Tour on ebay, a generic one for $4.95. This one: Retract Car Charger for VERIZON BlackBerry Tour 9630 - eBay (item 140338887082 end time Aug-10-09 20:34:42 PDT) I plug it in and the battery shows the lightning bolt like it's charging, but the battery doesn't take the charge. In fact, while it's plugged in, while using it, the battery will actually go decrease in power!

I've tried 3 different chargers, 3 different Tours, and 3 different cars, all the same result. Any ideas?
    sultan, i thought the same thing but it does charge...it just takes forever. I have OEM BB car charger for 8830, used mini to micro adapter for Tour and I drove around 15 minutes and it stayed at 80%. I drove around for another 15 min and 85%. You have to get out of "status" and come back in. you can't just see 85%, 86% 87%....you have to close out and go back in to status.
    08-13-09 03:46 PM
    thanks david. I actually drove for about a half hour and got nothing. As I said, the battery was even LOWER than when I started charging it. Some people in this thread mentioned the fuse, I didn't see where a fuse would be changed. I threw all 3 of the chargers out and ordered new ones

Sucks though, I REALLY wanted retractable. I've been having bum luck lately on all my retractable cables, something to look in to.
    08-13-09 11:51 PM
    First check the min voltage and amps needed for the fone to charge mines 5V .5amp.
    Then double check the charger puts out the needed ammount. I got one that met
    Min requirements and same thing happened at first then I just left fone plugged in
    on entire ride to work and I got good charge. Give it time or return for refund. Hope this
    Helped

08-14-09 12:18 AM
    Sorry double post
    Last edited by el_ote; 08-14-09 at 12:22 AM.
    08-14-09 12:19 AM
    So I brought a different generic car charger, and just as david122 has found--it does indeed take FOREVER to charge. 45 minutes of driving barely gave me another bar in battery power.

Apparently I should go spend the $30 for an actual Verizon one huh?
    08-22-09 03:30 PM
    Check your car dude or take the charger in and try a new one...
    08-23-09 11:26 PM
    buy and I go and never buy another car charger again, just buy the tips!

iGo power adapters - notebook power adapter, laptop power adapter, power adapter bundles

I have a dual adapter for mine and it charges both of my storms in 30
    08-23-09 11:28 PM
    Bought an OEM one, doesn't charge my tour but charges my wife's phone... Sucks I have to find a new one but at least the wife has one
    08-23-09 11:31 PM
    Just as a point of reference I have my OEM car charger that I bought for my Storm from verizon and it charges my Tour at a similar rate as if I plugged it into my PC (noticeably slower than a wall charger) but it definitely charges.

EDIT: I plug it into a 2004 BMW M5 into a dedicated port not into a cigarette lighter.

08-23-09 11:44 PM
    I use a 200 watt power inverter for my dedicated port in trunk and run an extension cord under the seats to under the just right of the drivers seat and hook it up to a small power strip.

All of that to say, then you don't have to buy a DC bb charger and you charge just about anything else (under 200 watts continuous).

08-24-09 02:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD