Just got my BB Bold this weekend, new, from ATT. Had overheating and battery drain issues. I have not modified the BB at all. Only added contacts etc. Haven't added or deleted any apps. Installed the Desktop software on my PC. Hooked up the BB to the pc for the first time and noticed after awhile it got super hot, then the battery went from about 80% to totally dead in about an hour. This has happened a few times now. I do not have a media card in it. All I did with the desktop software was a backup. Once the BB died it would do NOTHING until i used the wall charger. With the wall charger it stays charged for a long time and stays cool. With the usb the exact opposite. So my lesson to myself for now is to avoid the usb cable, but i'm not sure if it's a battery, usb cable, or handset problem. Just wanted to see if anyone else had overheating issues that may be caused only when using usb.

Cheers
    01-27-09 08:08 PM
    All I can say it take it back. You can trouble shoot the issue, but you should not have to do that. Take advantage of the 30 day return policy. The only thing I can think of is that the backup got stuck and kept the CPU churning. I would fear that the overheating damaged the battery and/or the phone. Get a new one.
    01-27-09 10:04 PM
    Ditto on that take it back asap

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-09 10:25 PM
    i think you should take it back to the store
    happened to my friend's bold
    he brought it back and i think they gave him a new one
    01-27-09 10:32 PM
    Yep, looks like i'll be taking it back. Now it started doing it with the wall charger too. One thing I noticed that i think is really odd that i've done a few times now, is that once it's fully charged (and HOT) I unplug it from the charger (usb, and now wall charger too), the battery indicator shows a full charge, and I turn it off to let it cool down. The damn thing stays HOT for HOURS while it's OFF. I left it like that last night. Turned it off with a full charge while it was hot. I checked it a couple times during the night. Still hot. When i woke it it was cool because the battery was fully drained. It wore itself out I guess, even though it was off. Hopefully the next one doesn't do it too. ATT policy is to only do one exchange. Not sure how strict they are with that, but if the second one does it too i'd probably get something else.
    Last edited by Antman4444; 01-28-09 at 08:46 PM.
    01-28-09 10:06 AM
    I had the same problem (on my second bold in 7 days) I took it back and they exchanged it no problem. Seems like there has been a rash of overheating/charging postings as of late...Wonder if AT&T got a bad batch?
    01-28-09 10:12 AM
    Yeah, I remember seeing that the launch of the Bold was delayed and that battery drain and overheating were part of the reason for the delay. That's what makes me even madder about this. Apparently they didn't get it fixed, or could they be trying to unload some of the problem ones a little at a time? I don't like to think that but these days I don't trust any company at all.
    01-28-09 08:51 PM
    well since you are within the exchange period, get it swapped.
    see if u can talk them into giving u a brand new set rather than a refurbished one
    01-28-09 10:37 PM
    You got the lemon out of the 6 sigma batch.
    01-28-09 10:41 PM
    Yes, definitely bring it back. I have the same issue and I think it's hardware-related, not software-related. I've noticed that when I plug it in and don't see the little yellow lightning bolt on the battery meter, I'm in trouble - the Bold gets piping hot and the battery dies within an hour (the lightning bolt doesn't appear when it's fully charged, of course). The problem appears to be very sporadic. I think it's a hardware issue because it happened to me just now, and I noticed that when I'd plug the male end of the charger into the Bold, the lightning bolt would appear for a hot second when it would first make the connection but would then disappear. I took it out, smacked the Bold around a little, tried it again, full lightning. It's charging as I type (and oddly I noticed the battery cools off very fast when it's actually charging - like it doesn't matter how hot it is, it's fine within two minutes when it's charging).

Of course I'm an idjit because I've had this problem ever since I got it, but because it was so sporadic I figured it was no big deal. My bold is now five weeks old so it's probably too late to exchange it. Thing is, I'm now afraid to leave it plugged in and walk away because sometimes the problem happens in the middle of a charge cycle (it'll be charging and then the lightning bolt goes off, battery gets roasting-hot, etc.), and I don't want my house to burn down.
    01-30-09 11:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD