I just wanted to clarify somethign i had to find out the hard way. THE BLACKBERRY STORM MIGHT NOT CHARGE WITH SOME OF THE GENERIC CHEAP CHARGERS/USB DATA CORDS YOU SEE at the kiosks in the mall or on ebay.

I went on vacation and picked up one of these chargers and the whole wknd i was bbstormless. it sucked.

I thought I would have to buy a new battery or somethign until i realized when i got back home that the storm only charged with the officially verizon charger or the one that came with the phone. For some reason the non OEM chargers/data cords did not work wtih my storm and it was very frustrating as the charge would either stay at 5% or 0% even if plugged in for the whole day. Has this happend to anyone else? Do some non OEM chargers/data cord work with other people? let me know. this is my first post so sorry if this is in the wrong section or something.
    06-18-09 02:42 PM
    it has been said before the peoples phones dont charge as well with non verizon/rim chargers and they blow through whatever charge the battery supposedly has...stick to the RIM one if possible haha it works a lot better
    06-18-09 03:10 PM
    Wipe and reload .75. This should solve the charging issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-09 03:12 PM
    its ok i just went back to the original one and everythings resolved. I just thought I would let other people know because I couldnt find anything on it when I searched and was frustrated because I was using the wrong one.
    thanks
    06-18-09 04:35 PM
    Was the output voltage/amps the same as the Verizon/RIM charger?
    06-18-09 05:07 PM
    Washout is on the right track. The Storm doesn't have to have an "official" RIM charger it just has to have the proper capacity charger. My Storm will charge just great on select Motorola and LG chargers just as long as they have at least a 700 milliamp capacity. Read the small print on the charger and it will give you the output capacity in amps or milliamps and compare that to the Blackberry wall charger that came with the phone.

Another point is don't put a lot of blind faith in the Verizon branded accessories, I had a Verizon car charger that would not charge my Storm. Returned it and got a RIM charger from Staples and it worked fine and cost less.
    06-18-09 06:27 PM
    I have had my phone charging from an LG charger that I got off of ebay and my phone has worked fine. I believe the milliamp cpacity is the same.
    06-18-09 07:19 PM
    I use the charger that came with my Kindle2 (Amazon) as an alternate for charging my Storm. Works great!
    06-18-09 08:42 PM
    I experienced the charging problem. I've ordered a different charger that I hope works. I wasn't aware of the 700ma issue . . .
    06-18-09 10:18 PM
    I thought I had the same prob ..but I realized that it WAS charging just charging REALLY REALLY slow. I think it actually made the battery last longer if let it charge

06-18-09 10:26 PM
    Wipe and reload .75. This should solve the charging issue.

OMFG! is that all i need to do? Schweeettt!
    06-19-09 12:52 AM
    I just wanted to clarify somethign i had to find out the hard way. THE BLACKBERRY STORM MIGHT NOT CHARGE WITH SOME OF THE GENERIC CHEAP CHARGERS/USB DATA CORDS YOU SEE at the kiosks in the mall or on ebay.

I went on vacation and picked up one of these chargers and the whole wknd i was bbstormless. it sucked.

I thought I would have to buy a new battery or somethign until i realized when i got back home that the storm only charged with the officially verizon charger or the one that came with the phone. For some reason the non OEM chargers/data cords did not work wtih my storm and it was very frustrating as the charge would either stay at 5% or 0% even if plugged in for the whole day. Has this happend to anyone else? Do some non OEM chargers/data cord work with other people? let me know. this is my first post so sorry if this is in the wrong section or something.
    They don't provide the proper charge needed. Also, if it does charge, it can damage your phone.
    06-19-09 01:04 AM
    I purchased one of the FM Transmitters/Chargers that work as a craddle that you suction cup to your windshield. I bought it off ebay only to find out when I finally did get a month later...that one it don't charge, and two, it won't charge when it is in FM Transmit mode. Which that info was not given in the discription...I mean if your on a long trip and you want to listen to music from your phone but by the time you get to where you want to go you need a recharge. WTH is the worth in that IMO. I do think it might have to do with noise...or at least with this unit because if I plug my iGO charger into my phone while using the craddle for FM Transmit...I get a bit of static. That could just be because they didn't use proper wiring for the unit too. All in all the biggest complaint is that the charger don't seem to work. The icon on the phone shows the lightening bolt indicating that it should be charging...however the percentage of battery never changes even after an hour of charging. The seller was a complete **** and I turned him into Ebay after getting a crappy reply. The FM Transmitter sometimes turn on/off by itself as well. 3 others were stuck with problems with no return replies from this guy until we left negative feedback...then he/she came crawling out of the woodwork. buyer beware of this product.
    06-19-09 08:59 AM
    I use the I go system and it has never failed me in any of the phones. From my sway to my blackberry...it charges them all
    06-19-09 09:36 AM
    I use this (For only $0.83 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black | Car Charger Accessories) plus this (For only $0.97 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 6ft | USB 2.0 Cable - Micro-B Type) as my car charger and although both are generic and dirt cheap, I have never had a problem with it. I detach the cable and use it to charge my phone at work on my computer usb port.

06-19-09 11:51 AM
    I use this (For only $0.83 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black | Car Charger Accessories) plus this (For only $0.97 each when QTY 50+ purchased - USB 2.0 A Male to Micro 5pin Male Cable w/ Ferrite Core - (Gold Plated) - 6ft | USB 2.0 Cable - Micro-B Type) as my car charger and although both are generic and dirt cheap, I have never had a problem with it. I detach the cable and use it to charge my phone at work on my computer usb port.

thats the one i use, it seems to me that it charges it really slow
    06-19-09 12:01 PM
    its a 1A charger, could be the phone or maybe I just don't notice the charging speed on a long trip. The only time I looked at charging speed, it charged me from 10% to 20% during my 30 minute commute home with the GPS logger program running and bedside mode on.

06-19-09 12:04 PM
    I am sorry, but I don't think electrons are nationalists.
    A Canadian electron is the same as an Asian electron.
    What is important is the output in Milli amps.
    Not sure where the break point is but I thing somewhere around 500 to 700 Ma. I have a 700 Ma car charger coming. My old charger which works fine for my blue tooth won't do my BB. The battery on my Blue-tooth is much smaller than my BB's battery so I think it's a much lower output.
    This is why some are not having problems and you (and I) are.
    06-19-09 12:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD