02-23-09 10:59 AM
33 12
tools
    This cradle for those who own it, is this chrome as in heavy or is it plastic made to look like chrome? I have read reviews on this site where people comment its well made, solid etc but I talked to a few people recently who said they ordered one (not sure where from) but it was plastic(ish) not really chrome. It worked it just was not chrome, if CB sells one that is solid I am game - I dont want the cheap knockoff .... Anyone have this? Thanks

http://shop.crackberry.com/blackberr...medium=content
    02-09-09 12:00 PM
    My co-workers cradle is "Plome" (plastic/chrome). It's pretty solid.
    02-09-09 12:03 PM
    hehe @ plome, a new one for me. I guess that might be what I was hearing then. Looks chrome but is not - fair enough if it works and saves me from destroying my side port I am all for it.

Thanks 3B

Trem
    02-09-09 12:15 PM
    They are plated plastic. They look like chrome, but are not made of metal.

They have rubber on the bottom of the base for non-skid.

I have one for my Curve -- weighs 1.8 oz, and the Pearl base weighs 1.4 oz (weighed 'em on my postage scale). So they're not *heavy* by any means, and don't feel like solid metal the way they look.

However -- they are very well made, they are very stable with the BlackBerry standing up in them, they are very nice looking. And it sure beats having to plug the charger cord into the BB every night. And it sure beats the BB just lying flat on the counter all time while charging as well (like the 8800 does because it doesn't work in a cradle).

Very pleased with them.
    02-09-09 12:16 PM
    Very pleased with mine as well since I use my phone as an alarm clock as well. Seems stable and well worth the purchase.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-09 12:19 PM
    Thanks kindly. I placed my order.
    02-09-09 03:56 PM
    I agree with Go Blue, the cradle charger is awesome...
    02-09-09 04:10 PM
    Looking forward to getting mine, too. Be nicer at the nightstand.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-09-09 05:38 PM
    It rocks! You won't be disappointed.
    02-09-09 05:45 PM
    I have two for my bold, it's great. It uses two contacts to charge the device and I think it's pretty well made and weighted. I picked mine up for $16 with free shipping.

Dave
    02-09-09 07:59 PM
    I have two for my bold, it's great. It uses two contacts to charge the device and I think it's pretty well made and weighted. I picked mine up for $16 with free shipping.

Dave
    from where?
    02-09-09 08:14 PM
    from where?
    I sent you a private message.

Dave
    02-09-09 08:18 PM
    will the cradle for the bold fit the 8900? / nevermind i found it for the 8900
    Last edited by muu; 02-09-09 at 08:24 PM.
    02-09-09 08:21 PM
    Don't think so..., same vendor has 8900 charging pods for $18.00. do a search from within the vendor on ebay.
    02-09-09 08:25 PM
    I sent you a private message.

Dave
    dmarcus: don't suppose you could share with me where you managed to pick the cradle up for so little dinero - need a few myself for home/office and locally they're $40 each.

(would have PM'd but don't have enough posts under my belt yet)

Cheers!
    02-10-09 04:09 PM
    i spent 24.95 for a charging pod and skin w/ free shipping. thats the price of one charging pod here and that doesn't include shipping...
    02-10-09 05:15 PM
    I don't know what the forum rules are about posting websites. Just do a search on ebay, for "blackberry bold charging cradle", you'll see them, just look for a price of $16.94 with free shipping. I ordered from them twice. They were a good seller, and it's an oem cradle, free shipping, what else could you want. Oh and it's just the cradle, you still need the charger to plug into it. I'm finding that many things are coming with this type of charger so I had a couple on hand, but that's a separate item.

Dave
    Last edited by dmarcus48; 02-10-09 at 05:30 PM.
    02-10-09 05:28 PM
    I ordered one. 15.00 total (w/shipping) to the door so I am happy.

I actually got to see one. I talked with a friend in a different department and he had one on his desk hehe so I got to see it and I ordered the mine from the same spot. It looks nice, I cant wait to get it..

Thanks for the help folks
    Last edited by Tremortality; 02-11-09 at 03:58 AM.
    02-11-09 01:26 AM
    I got one of these last week.

Great purchase if you're on the fence about getting one. Charges your BB w/o having to plug it into the mini-USB port (I would image you can only do that a few thousand times before you run into issues).
    02-11-09 07:24 AM
    Yes they look slick. That is my main concern - constantly plugging it up for charging. After some time it has to loosen or tweak that port and I dont want to run into issues. I know I will still have to sync from there but I only sync every week or two to backup my BB so I am super happy about this product....
    02-11-09 07:55 AM
    I've got two of these for my Bold (one at home, one at work). I spent $12.99 on the first one and then $16.99 on the second. Got 2.75% cash back as well with Live Search Cashback.
    02-11-09 11:19 AM
    looks very similar to the desktop charger I had for my old nokia 8800

that was plome but was quality made so no problems
    02-12-09 07:48 AM
    I'm confused by this comment. Do you need to buy a separate charger or does the charger the phone comes with work in the cradle?

Oh and it's just the cradle, you still need the charger to plug into it. I'm finding that many things are coming with this type of charger so I had a couple on hand, but that's a separate item.

Dave
    02-12-09 09:54 AM
    I'm confused by this comment. Do you need to buy a separate charger or does the charger the phone comes with work in the cradle?
    The charger from the phone plugs into the cradle. I made that statement to the people who were saying that they wanted more than one cradle. The cradle accepts the plug from the standard charger.

Dave
    02-12-09 10:13 AM
    Thanks for the clarification. Maybe you can answer one more question. I know that some types of batteries can't be overcharged or they go bad eventually but i don't remember the type. If I use this next to the bed and the phone charges all night, will that be ok? I'm assuming it doesn't shut off when the phone is charged.

The charger from the phone plugs into the cradle. I made that statement to the people who were saying that they wanted more than one cradle. The cradle accepts the plug from the standard charger.

Dave
    02-12-09 10:25 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD