09-08-09 09:46 PM
27 12
tools
    Anyone know of a good car mount for the Tour?

I've had one for my Curve from Ebay, but looking to replace it since that mount now covers the charging port for my Tour. I use the mount for GPS apps with backlight always on, so I need the charging port available while on the mount.

Also the previous mount I had was some cheapy plastic locking mechanism for the windshield mount. So a well constructed mount that feels solid would be great.

Any gripes on the cupholder mounts?

Thanks in advance.
    08-17-09 11:04 AM
    I'm interested in hearing some information as well. My lease is up on my car in Feb and with it will go the built-in GPS.
    08-17-09 12:24 PM
    I personally loved the idea of the cup holder mounts and the cigarette lighter mounts but I drive a Jeep Wrangler and both are on bad spots for these types.

I went with a dash mount using the 3M adhesive. Didn't ike the idea of a somewhat perm. mount but it's been working very well.

I got mine at the Verizon store. I was looking on line but just couldn't get a good idea as to whether they would fit well in my car or not. Then I went to Verizon, they let me open it and go out to my car and see if I liked it. I did so I bougth it. $24 or $29, don't remember.

Check the GPS section of a Best Buy store. When I was last there I noticed that they had quite a selection laid out on a shelf marked 10% off. The same mount I bought (with out the Verizon Packaging of course) was there for $14.00. Guess I should have looked arounf a bit more.

Anyway give Best Buy a try if you can and good luck!
    08-17-09 12:56 PM
    I just bought.. http://shop.crackberry.com/igrip-cus...medium=content but haven't received it yet. Wanted something to charge at the same time but needed something now so I got this.
    08-17-09 01:22 PM
    check out ProClip Mounting System*-*Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts. Expensive but really good.

Actually, just checked them out. They don't have a Tour option yet. But I tried a tour in my curve holder and it worked - albeit not perfectly. Maybe you can contact them and ask when they will have something for the tour.
    Last edited by gadgetfreak2; 08-17-09 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Additional research
    08-17-09 02:20 PM
    love proclip products just a bit on the expensive side

im using the bracketron vent clip mount ( Bracketron : Mounting Solutions for Mobile Electronics ) $19.95 at staples or best buy

thought it would be crappy but gave it a try and to my suprise its pretty darn good sides are very adjustable so it should work with just about any BB

they also have a cupholder mount but i tried it and wasnt to impressed may have been my suvs cupholders but it didnt seem tight fittting
    08-17-09 03:10 PM
    you can also buy those resizable car mounts that will work for almost anything (mean for gps though)
    08-17-09 03:24 PM
    I just bought.. http://shop.crackberry.com/igrip-cus...medium=content but haven't received it yet. Wanted something to charge at the same time but needed something now so I got this.
    I just received this yesterday and for the price I REALLY like it. I was a big user of ProClip, but I have a company car that I swap out about every 6 months, so buying a new mount to match the different cars I go in to was not overly cost effective.

Anyway, it fits the phone nice and snug and the actual hooks on the base that fit in to the vent are very well constructed (which is something I have always hated about vent clip anything) and each hook has a "lock" that you push toward the vent after installation to help secure it even more to the vent. Like I said, I have never been a big fan of any vent type product, but this is much more sturdy than anything I have ever seen on the market.

The base is very sturdy and well built and the holder is a little tricky to get the phone "out", but I use BestSkinsEver and the skin seems to want to hold itself in to the holder. Nothing major, just an observation. I am holding out hope that it will actually still fit with an Incipio Feather on it, but I will have to wait and see.

Overall, very pleased with unit. It sits perfectly in my vision in my car and it absolutely beats it sliding around on the seat next to me.
    08-18-09 05:51 AM
    I just received this yesterday and for the price I REALLY like it. I was a big user of ProClip, but I have a company car that I swap out about every 6 months, so buying a new mount to match the different cars I go in to was not overly cost effective.

Anyway, it fits the phone nice and snug and the actual hooks on the base that fit in to the vent are very well constructed (which is something I have always hated about vent clip anything) and each hook has a "lock" that you push toward the vent after installation to help secure it even more to the vent. Like I said, I have never been a big fan of any vent type product, but this is much more sturdy than anything I have ever seen on the market.

The base is very sturdy and well built and the holder is a little tricky to get the phone "out", but I use BestSkinsEver and the skin seems to want to hold itself in to the holder. Nothing major, just an observation. I am holding out hope that it will actually still fit with an Incipio Feather on it, but I will have to wait and see.

Overall, very pleased with unit. It sits perfectly in my vision in my car and it absolutely beats it sliding around on the seat next to me.
    Thanks for the review! Should have mine tomorrow.
    08-18-09 07:03 AM
    check out ProClip Mounting System*-*Device Holders and Dashboard Vehicle Mounts. Expensive but really good.

Actually, just checked them out. They don't have a Tour option yet. But I tried a tour in my curve holder and it worked - albeit not perfectly. Maybe you can contact them and ask when they will have something for the tour.
    The Tour actually fits the Treo 755p Proclip perfectly with just a little adjustment with a heat gun is about $10 bucks at Harbor Freight, very useful for shrink wrap tubing etc. and other chores, better than a hairdryer.

I just heated the corners a little to either (I forgot which way, looser or tighter) spread the wings out or in just a tad and it's perfect.

If you already have the Proclip base I'm sure the part that holds the phone will be on Ebay shortly from any Treo 755 form factor users that have switched to other devices. They had many models with the same form factor and Verizon only replaces a bad device now with a Centro model.

Also, Proclip will make a Tour model shortly especially for such a popular phone.

Proclip for me was the best as it's a solid mount that looks OEM. I hated the drink cup models and the adjustable vent models as they are rickety, but I do still use my cheapo vent mount when I rent a car.
    Last edited by expidia; 08-18-09 at 07:27 AM.
    08-18-09 07:16 AM
    I perosnally have been waiting for the right mount to come out. I have a Jeep Commander and it is a little ackward for mounting on a window. I personally do not like that cigarette or cup holder mounts, especially when you are traveling. (You might say that their partner is utilizing most of the availalbe resources). I have thought that the dash mount would probably be the fix but do not want to adhere this to my dask. I have looked at the vent mount and my vents are not your standard vent. I was wondering if anyone knows if these work on all vents or have a resource where you can purchase a vechile mount that is compatible not only with your phone but your vechile. Thanks in advance.
    08-18-09 07:36 AM
    The Tour actually fits the Treo 755p Proclip perfectly with just a little adjustment with a heat gun is about $10 bucks at Harbor Freight, very useful for shrink wrap tubing etc. and other chores, better than a hairdryer.

I just heated the corners a little to either (I forgot which way, looser or tighter) spread the wings out or in just a tad and it's perfect.

If you already have the Proclip base I'm sure the part that holds the phone will be on Ebay shortly from any Treo 755 form factor users that have switched to other devices. They had many models with the same form factor and Verizon only replaces a bad device now with a Centro model.

Also, Proclip will make a Tour model shortly especially for such a popular phone.

Proclip for me was the best as it's a solid mount that looks OEM. I hated the drink cup models and the adjustable vent models as they are rickety, but I do still use my cheapo vent mount when I rent a car.
    I might have to take up the heat gun method when Incipio releases the Feather for the Tour.

I did want to mention that this vent clip is NOT rickety and was quite a relief and surprising. The clips are pretty bulky and the "locks" keep it from being rickety.

The only issue I have so far is the taking the phone out of the holder. You basically push the top right corner back (it has a tab) then lift out. I think I figured out that if you try to pull it straight out the top like a ProClip, then the vent holder "lifts" up. But if you push the tab, then pull out, then remove it from right to left instead of straight up, it comes right out. Again, I use BestSkins so I think the "grips" might "hold" on to it more.

Anyway, my $.02, but happy with the purchase especially knowing that I won't have to keep buying a proclip mount for the vehicle I swap in/out of twice a year.
    08-18-09 05:56 PM
    I asked proclip about the tour mount last week. They said it's in design stage and should be out in a few weeks. My curve proclip works fine for now. A little snug, and it doesn't sit all the way down when charging, but beats having to buy another one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-09 07:19 PM
    Got the iGrip mount today. Looks nice but I see 2 issues which will probably make me buy another brand when they are finally released.

1. The top of the mount where it "clips" in takes almost nothing to remove the phone from it, and i can see a pothole or something possibly making the phone jump out of the holder. But I guess is why its designed... see #2

2. Where the bottom of the phone sits in the cradle I see it eventually rubbing the paint off the bezel as it takes some pressure and sliding force to get the phone in and out.

I wish they would have made the bottom piece more of a base that just holds the phone in and the top of it more of a secure clip. Instead the top is loose and the bottom is overly tight. It should be basically a Seido spring lock with a vent mount attachment.

Ah well, will see whats released in the next few weeks. Thankfully this thing was only 25 bucks shipped so nbd.

Hope this makes sense. LOL
    08-19-09 10:46 AM
    I have never liked clip mounts. HAd them for my XM and they always fell off. Same with windshield in the winter time.

What would be great is if you could use some form of mount holding that you could connect to the Garmin friction mount system. A non-perm system that works quite well at holding (at least a garmin) well without sliding at all. I bet someone could make that work.....
    08-19-09 12:40 PM
    Proclip looks awesome!
    08-19-09 08:37 PM
    I'd have to agree. After following the link in this thread, i realized that ProClip not only specific to your device but also your vehicle which rocks. I have been looking for this exact solution but sadly no tour specific holder, yet.
    08-20-09 07:21 AM
    i am using the bracketron vent clip system and its pretty sturdy. the phone goes in and out with ease. there is a button on top of it that opens the sides to allow the phone to be removed and to put the phone back in just place it in the holder and close the sides. the sides are padded and adjust so there is no damage or anything blocking buttons. i wasnt sure if i would like it but gave it a try for $20 and like i said before its pretty good im liking it alot. i also like proclip products but this was a cheaper alternative for me right now.
    08-20-09 08:04 AM
    I have to agree that ProClip mounts are the most secure way to mount your device... worth the expense IMO. I have seen a few serious car wrecks with devices still in their mounts after the dash has been displaced. Thanks for the update on the Tour specific mount... when I emailed them I received a canned response.
    08-20-09 08:28 AM
    Proclip is great...very solid. I'm using the same mount that I had for my Storm which works well but the phone has to sit up a bit higher in the cradle due to the charging cord being on the opposite side. Fine for me, but wait for the Tour version to come out if you can. I really wish RIM would have left the USB connection on the left hand side...made for a cleaner mount and easier to talk on while plugged in at a desk!
    08-20-09 09:26 AM
    Proclip is great...very solid. I'm using the same mount that I had for my Storm which works well but the phone has to sit up a bit higher in the cradle due to the charging cord being on the opposite side. Fine for me, but wait for the Tour version to come out if you can. I really wish RIM would have left the USB connection on the left hand side...made for a cleaner mount and easier to talk on while plugged in at a desk!
    Same here - I might just bust out the dremel and open up the right side of the cradle for charging.
    08-20-09 09:44 AM
    Same here - I might just bust out the dremel and open up the right side of the cradle for charging.
    I actually took a band saw and cut off the bottom portion of the right side holder on mine. I also modified the foam cushons so I could just slide my Tour in from the top without the holders pushing the side buttons.
    08-20-09 11:59 AM
    I actually took a band saw and cut off the bottom portion of the right side holder on mine. I also modified the foam cushons so I could just slide my Tour in from the top without the holders pushing the side buttons.
    Must be a little different than my proclip mount. I can slide the tour all the way in without it hitting the side buttons. I just can't put all the way in the holder if I have it charging.
    08-20-09 04:41 PM
    I love the SmoothTalker cigarette lighter cradle/charger. A little pricey, but it holds my BB perfectly (made for each specific model) and charges it while it's in the cradle without wires hanging all over.

I had one for my old 8830 and it was my favorite accessory; the Tour version will be available during the first week of September, I already have one on pre-order. No, I have nothing to do with the company, I just really like the product.

If anyone is interested, here's the link---I use the model at the very bottom of the page (BTHB96P): https://www.smoothtalker.com/product...ackberry-9630/
    08-20-09 04:50 PM
    I love the SmoothTalker cigarette lighter cradle/charger. A little pricey, but it holds my BB perfectly (made for each specific model) and charges it while it's in the cradle without wires hanging all over.

I had one for my old 8830 and it was my favorite accessory; the Tour version will be available during the first week of September, I already have one on pre-order. No, I have nothing to do with the company, I just really like the product.

If anyone is interested, here's the link---I use the model at the very bottom of the page (BTHB96P): https://www.smoothtalker.com/product...ackberry-9630/

kind of pricey.. but looks nice. I like it...
    08-20-09 06:29 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD