Hi all,

has anyone bought one of these in the UK yet? and if so where?

I noticed on ebay there are a couple for around 12-15 whoch say they are genuine but never sure as i cant seem to get one in a shop anywhere??

Also, some just seem to mention charging and not syncing??

Anyone looked into this at all?

(i checked the model number from Balckberry and its the same as the ones on Ebay)
    11-23-09 08:26 AM
    The pod does not sync. It uses the two small contacts on the bottm edge of your phone for charging the battery. You simply plug your USB charge into the back and drop you phone in when you want to charge.

Highly recomended to save on wearing out or breaking your phones USB connection.
    11-23-09 08:54 AM
    awww i'm guessing thats why they are so cheap as the one due due out from blackberry also can sync your phone hence why it's being called a sync pod!

This is one of many articles i've found opff the net:

RIM has made Charge Pods for nearly every trackball device since the original BlackBerry Pearl 8100. But the 9700 Sync Pod is different in that it uses the two metal panels found on the bottoms of both its left and right sides to not only transfer power, but data, according to ShopBlackBerry.

Think i'll wait for this offical one
    11-23-09 09:28 AM
    You can wait all you want but there are only two contracts on the bottom edges of your phone and they will ONLY charge the battery and in no way will they all of a sudden work for SYNC!

Post a URL where you see this device for the 9700 as it is impossible for it to sync using these bottm edge contacts and someone is posting this in ERROR!
    Last edited by greggebhardt; 11-23-09 at 09:58 AM.
    11-23-09 09:52 AM
    I have the charging pod for the 9700. I just plugged it in and started DM.
    The battery icon on the phone confirms it is charging.
    DM does not recognize the device as connected.
    As expected... there is no data sync.
    11-23-09 10:22 AM
    I may have this completly wrong but we've put men on the moon so who's knows what they can do???

BlackBerry Bold 9700 Sync Pod Powers AND Syncs Your Phone - FOXBusiness.com

There is a paragraph towards the bottom which also mentions the two connectors you spoke of but maybe they have it wrong?

there's quite a bit on the net so feel free to google it?
    11-23-09 10:29 AM
    There is a Blackberry Sync-Pod but it uses the USB connection with your device sitting on it's side in the pod. It looks like this:
    Amazon.com: BlackBerry Desktop Charge/Sync Pod for BlackBerry 9500 Storm: Cell Phones & Service

This would work with any Blackberry device if it were made specifically for your device. It simple uses the same USB connection and has nothing to do with the two contacts on the bottom edge of your device
    11-23-09 10:29 AM
    whats your thoughts on the commets below:

But the 9700 Sync Pod is different in that it employs the two metal panels found on the bottoms of both its left and right sides to not only transfer power, but data, according to ShopBlackBerry.

The technology used in the side panels is new--to RIM at least--and I'm anxious to see how it works. I'm a huge fan of the original BlackBerry Charge Pods, and this new enhancement should go a long way to making a good product even better.

Note: BlackBerry Charge/Sync Pods don't come with any power cords, USB, AC, car charger, or otherwise. So make sure you've got an extra charger or power cord handy before scooping one up.

So this sounds incorrect?
    11-23-09 10:54 AM
    Yeah thats wrong. The description on shopblackberry is incorrect. They did this with the original Bold pod too Ive been told. It just charges, doesnt sync.

have a look
    BlackBerry Bold 9700 Sync Pod Powers Up AND Syncs Your Smartphone (UPDATED) - CIO.com - Business Technology Leadership

Ive got the pod, and its the same part # as the one one shopblackberry
    11-23-09 11:19 AM
    11-23-09 11:41 AM
    Just got my upgrade from vodafone bold 9700 as it was only released in the UK the first week of November 09, I had to put my name on the list (first blackberry user ever, plus after researching and contacting my friends in the USA that use blackberry and who live in the USA told me that it was not launched there yet either) so my gut is telling me that the ebay versions are not legit. This also applied to T mobile and other servers.
    Also mine came with international power cables, pouch and USB. To sync I had to download the Blackberry Desktop manager.
    11-23-09 11:47 AM
    Here is an image of mine that I post 3-4 weeks ago, got off eBay. It shows the light on the top back edge that shows it is powered.

Images taken with the 9700:
    11-23-09 11:48 AM
    Yeah thats wrong. The description on shopblackberry is incorrect. They did this with the original Bold pod too Ive been told. It just charges, doesnt sync.

have a look
    BlackBerry Bold 9700 Sync Pod Powers Up AND Syncs Your Smartphone (UPDATED) - CIO.com - Business Technology Leadership

Ive got the pod, and its the same part # as the one one shopblackberry
    Someone in SHopBlackberry just got lazy and copied the specs from one of the other sync pods to this one.
    11-23-09 11:50 AM
    awww that explains it!!!

thanks all for your help!! will order one right away as no point in waiting
    11-23-09 02:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD