10-10-09 01:32 PM
30 12
tools
    5 replacement blackberry 8830's-now its failed again-port is loose, cannot charge or download. This one was babied. Tired of fighting with Verizon. DON'T BUY AN 8830!!!!! Any suggestions on a different bb model?
    03-02-09 10:49 PM
    my problem exactly. thot battery was defective. unable to buy the battery with out also buying a battery charger. plunked in the new battery and same thing. defective usb port and unit will not charge the new battery properly. usually i get about a 50 percent charge. but both batteries can be charged in the battery charger i bot. agree this BB should not be bot it has a design defect.
    07-19-09 08:19 PM
    This is one of the reasons that the new Tour uses the micro port. The cable connector on the micro port will wear out before the phone's usb micro port. This is a well known problem with the mini usb port.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-09 08:00 AM
    Upon studying this problem at length and being on the phone with useless "service" dept's, I've found out a few interesting points you may already know.

1) this is a common problem
    2) rim won't cop to it and admit their mistakes
    3) you are not likely to get it replaced or fixed for free

I have the bb 8830we and I loved that phone. I had the unlimited data plan from vzw and the added 15$ internet package. I used my mini usb for the tethered modem connectivity on my laptop and also for charging the unit. I was always very careful with my 400$ phone since i bought it new from a vzw store; I never abused it and always took as good of care as possible when inserting/removing the cable. However, after some time, a year maybe, the female mini usb port began to come loose. After this happened I was forced to push the cable back a bit and fix it in place while inserted or it wouldn't actually connect. Since I couldn't get any help from rim or vzw (after useless hours on the phone with non-english speaking reps) I took it upon myself to rip by precious bb apart and diagnose the problem to see if i could fix it myself. I used a d-i-y dis-assembly video on youtube, google video, or the like, to guide me. I successfully dis-assembled the unit and found that the mini usb port had broken loose from the solder on one side. I wiggled it a bit and it broke loose completely. Since I didn't have a desktop charging unit or the money to attain one my bb was officially dead. Since then I've been missing my bb and also periodically checking different sites to see if anyone else has had this problem and been able to fix it themselves. There are sites that will fix it for a fee but I'm unwilling to use these sites for something I may be able to do myself. I intend to purchase only a soldering iron that is small enough to use for this purpose and fix it myself. If i have any luck I'll make a tutorial on how to do this. Note that my mini usb is not broken, the pins are intact and undamaged it has only come loose from the solder. I have successfully re-assembled my bb twice now and it currently sits in a box, completely dis-assembled and awaiting its return to life. I am interested to know about an earlier post in which someone mentioned the possibility of a class action lawsuit. If anyone has more information or has had this problem, please post here. The more people we get in on this the more likely it is that the problem will be acknowledged by rim and vzw, and they may possibly even offer to fix the problem. -Not likely, I know, but hey, can't we hope? For now our bb8830we phones are still pretty technologically up to date. There's no reason our hard earned phones should be sitting on a shelf or thrown away because of a problem that wasn't created by the user but instead is a direct result of the manufacturer not fully testing their product, or perhaps even knowingly putting this model on the market without fixing the problem due to time constraints or whatever. I think my point is that its not the users fault, so why should we have to purchase anything, especially a new phone. We who like our blackberry pda's but find this treatment unacceptable need some justice. I don't want to buy a new phone when my phone should still be working fine after less that one years' use, and also what reason do we have to trust rim and vzw that the next phone we buy from them at a price of at least 200$ (used) won't have similar issues? I have been using a pre-paid juke for a few months now after using several other prepaid units that have since gone to the dump for their uselessness issues. I don't mind the juke but its the equivalent of using a sega genesis while you have a ps3 sitting in the closet. I pisses me off regularly. The juke is but a sliver of the phone my bb is. This isn't fair and rim should pay for their mistakes. We must have justice. Back to reality, though, I know this probably won't happen so I'm just going to do it myself. Just like anything else, if you want it done, you have to d-i-y.
    10-07-09 12:19 PM
    Just started not connecting to DM. I get a MS pop up saying the usb device has malefunctioned. It seems to be taking charges, and I can see it as an unknown device,

Ive reinstalled the drivers alone, DM, the drivers and DM.. Ive installed drivers by hand "have disk" option..

nothing. I simply cant connect to my PC now.It shows the little power plug on the screen and Im frustrated since this is a company phone and I really like it. I dont want them to give me a curve.

I personally own a Tour I just upgraded to .238 hybrid with BBM5 and its ****in phenominal.. I wanted to dot he same witht he WE..

sit on my face and call me kermit the frog =(
    10-10-09 01:32 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD