10-10-09 01:32 PM
30 12
tools
    I am having a problem with charging my BB8830. The connection for battery charger is very loose and often is not recognized and does not charge. My 8830 is just a year old and in good condition. I was in the Verizon store a few weeks ago and noticed another customer there was complaining of the same issue. I am sure Verizon will probably say too bad, replace the unit. It looks like a bad design and construction and it is now failing. Wonedering if other BB8830 users have seen the same thing.
    04-22-08 06:26 PM
    I have yet to see that problem on my 8830.
    04-22-08 07:00 PM
    I've heard of it .. VZW should replace the unit it if its to the point of not working at all or borderline falling out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-08 07:32 PM
    There have been numerous post with others experiencing the same problem

04-22-08 07:35 PM
    They may or may not replace the device. All depends on who you talk to and if there is physical damage. RIM does not consider that a "manufacters defect".
    04-22-08 08:48 PM
    Even refurbs (replacements they send you) have a bad habit of having a loose USB plug. RIM has a major problem, they just don't want to admit it. I've used other phones that have mini-USB ports on them and none of them get as loose or are as problamatic as the ones on Blackberries.
    04-22-08 11:27 PM
    I've had the same 8830 since it came out, and it's working like a champ, not one issue with the charging port. Not saying there aren't plenty of other people with issues though.
    04-22-08 11:36 PM
    I have the same problem. I have to manipulate the usb (actually press on the cord) in order to get the bb to recognize it. I plan on taking it back to the geniuses at Verizon and I'm sure, after waiting for a half hour or more, they'll tell me there's nothing they can do.
    06-11-08 12:50 PM
    I have the same issue loose connection. Thought it was just me. Yeah yall are prob right they will prob mk you buy a new one.

06-11-08 02:04 PM
    Had the same issue. I was told it was not a defect and had to pay for a new one. My phone didn't have a scratch on it.

06-11-08 10:51 PM
    This is a very easy $10.00 fix for the blackberry. I had it done last week. No problem at all
    06-20-08 10:25 AM
    Yup, same problem here...you say it's an easy $10 fix...how so?
    08-29-08 10:23 AM
    you can buy new usb port/connectors from cnn.cn for about five bucks. plus headphone jacks and lcd screens and different housings. it is all easy to change.
    08-30-08 11:42 PM
    Thanks for the link
    08-31-08 07:31 PM
    I have a differnet charging cable question re all wall chargers with mini usb setup created equal my bb 8830 will charge from usb computer port to full within several hours but charging from my old usb wall charger for the vzw xv6800 I leave it overnight and only get 50-60 percent

09-04-08 06:22 PM
    I am having a problem with charging my BB8830. The connection for battery charger is very loose and often is not recognized and does not charge. My 8830 is just a year old and in good condition. I was in the Verizon store a few weeks ago and noticed another customer there was complaining of the same issue. I am sure Verizon will probably say too bad, replace the unit. It looks like a bad design and construction and it is now failing. Wonedering if other BB8830 users have seen the same thing.
    I've had that problem before and with like 15 8830WEs from my company. If the charger is not pulled STRAIGHT out of the device and it is pulled in the slightest direction other than straight, over time it will losen and eventually break the connection. The only thing that you can do is replace the device unless you want to go in with a soldering iron?

Best way is to replace the device. It's just a design flaw on RIMs part. I'd say to make that port ONLY for USB syncing and loading via a USB cable and a desktop PC or Laptop. Then make a charging port like other cellphones have and either allow the thing to slide into a hole or something like most other cellphones. That's about the ONLY complaint / frustration that I do have with Blackberries.
    09-04-08 06:27 PM
    I am having the same problem with charging my BB 8830. The mini port connection for battery charger is often is not recognized and does not charge. My 8830 is just 60 days old and in good condition. I was in the Verizon store and noticed another another customer was complaining of the same issue. Verizon is set on blaming the user rather than fixing the defect. Is there a class action suit out there that I can join or maybe start if we have enough people to join in. I have made a complaint with the BBB and encourage everyone to do the same.
    Last edited by pattonabc; 09-05-08 at 08:37 PM. Reason: spelling and additional information
    09-05-08 08:30 PM
    I am having the exact same problem and went to the site recommended for a replacement port. My question is how difficult is it to replace this part? I am moderately functional with a screwdriver and tools, but the review for the product said it does require some skill. Does the video it offers for disassembly and assembly help? I appreciate any help.
    09-15-08 02:09 PM
    I have had the exact same problem with my BB8830 as you, down to the letter of what you described. In fact, the problem got worse and worse over the past week to the point where now the unit is in total failure and will not charge at all. Instead, when I attach the charger, it usually just drains whatever charge is in it. What you said about the loose connection and not recognizing the charger is exactly what has happened to me. I am now in Europe stranded with a useless Blackberry.
    11-23-08 04:32 AM
    I have had my 8830 for several months and just recently the battery will only 1/2 charge. I thought it was a faulty batter and purchased a new one but it too will not fully charge...I get only 2 bars after 8 hours of charging. Any ideas?
    12-20-08 09:10 PM
    My 8830 is also now only getting 50-60 charge from wall charge and I've replaced battery with same results.

I have checked the wall charger and note that the battery icon on the phone does blink on and off but with correct jiggle it is on each time and I check and still only 50% charge. I suspect the port is damaged and even getting juice only charges to a certain level before it stops accepting charge.

Anyone else having a similar problem?
    12-20-08 10:51 PM
    I have had this problem with BOTH my brand new BB and the refurbished one they gave me. I printed this string of posts to take to Verizon today. There IS a problem with these phones.
    12-29-08 12:52 PM
    Had this issue with two 8830 phones and my ex had this problem as well. Sprint replaced them quickly since I had insurance.
    12-29-08 03:48 PM
    I've had the same troubles with the USB and just got a replacement on my 18 month-old unit from Alltel's insurance carrier. I'm out $100, but in doing some research I think it won't happen again.

I am on the road in sales - in and out of my car, web surfing while waiting for clients and using up a lot of battery power each day. I probably have to charge the unit a couple times a day with a new battery, more often later in life. I think all of the plugging and unplugging - combined with the vibrations and shock of being in a car cradle with the usb charger in place - just wears out the mini-usb after some time. I've had the same issue with others chargers in the past, too.

I want to get one of the charging cradles that apparently use the side-contacts on the device. I didn't really pay much attention to them, but I assume from the description of the Powerstation + Mini EBC that I could have at least a full charge at home using the cradle and avoiding the USB port all-together.

Does anyone own that unit and have real world experience? I'm going to read the review I just found here to see if it will do what I expect....

There is a review on the site, but it won't let me post the URL since I don't have 10 posts yet. You can add the http and such in front of it to get the right location.

crackberry.com/review-blackberry-power-station-plus-extra-battery-charger-blackberry-curve-8300-8310-8320
    01-03-09 11:15 AM
    I spent over an hour on the phone yesterday with Asurion the insurance co. pleading my case to have my 8830 replaced. I was persistent but polite and I think that combo got the job done. I am glad it was finally resolved but it is a joke that Blackberry would put out a product that clearly has a defect on a grand scale and refuses to acknowledge it. I have had this issue come up on other Blackberry devices so it is a design flaw that for some reason they refuse to rectify...
    02-26-09 04:39 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD