I'm on a business trip right now and I picked up a car charger in some gas station. Apparently the rule of feeding yourself food from funky gas stations also applies to our berries.

After plugging my berry into the funky car charger it will no longer charge past half on the OEM charger that came with the phone. Left it on charge overnight and it never went past half. So I plugged it back into the funky car charger and it charged up to full.

Apparently the funky charger I got from that gas station has spoiled my berry and it doesn't seem to want to go back. At least not beyond half way charged.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm going to order the extended battery this week after I see if the sprint store will give me a freebie.

Dm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-04-08 10:23 AM
    Weird. I wonder if it was pure coincidence, and something else is the issue...
    05-04-08 11:24 AM
    Yeah, why would one charger charge all the way and the other only half way? I'm assuming the specs are the same on both chargers. Maybe you need to reset the battery, let it charge fully then use it till it's completely drained?
    05-04-08 11:39 AM
    I've actually heard of this happening before. From what I remember it has something to do with the fact that the "off-brand" chargers don't have the same capabilities that most OEM chargers do where it can prevent the battery from overcharging or something like that. So most of them won't do a full charge to prevent from overcharging. I'm not 100% certain if that's correct, but that's what I was told by a technician once.
    05-04-08 12:01 PM
    And this is why I NEVER buy anything "electric" for my phone that is not OEM, cases and stuff that's different, but chargers and batteries are another story. I have had this happen to me in the past with other phones, but i wasn't as lucky to just get half a charge, i've had them fry a couple different phones, so i stay well away from "off-brand" stuff like that.
    05-04-08 01:34 PM
    Mr too Ty!

When it comes to my phone. I'm not too concerned with price. Official product usually means officially made for it

05-06-08 02:48 AM
    Yup yup, if I spent this much on my phone, I'm only going to spoil it with the best!

05-06-08 01:18 PM
    That's good to know. Sorry you had to find this out the hard way though. :-( I have been looking on eBay for a car charger and so many are not OEM. I guess I will make sure to get an OEM charger now. Again, sorry to hear about your berry.

05-06-08 07:54 PM
    Same here. I try to stay away from non-oem stuff if its for something as expensive and valuable as my berry.

We don't blame you though. You were outdoors and probably needed to charge your dying berry.

05-06-08 08:07 PM
    Yup yup, if I spent this much on my phone, I'm only going to spoil it with the best!

Absolutely!

Same here. I try to stay away from non-oem stuff if its for something as expensive and valuable as my berry.

We don't blame you though. You were outdoors and probably needed to charge your dying berry.

You have to do what you have to do. Unfortunately, it looks like you ended up on the *&^%^& end of the stick!
    05-07-08 06:22 AM
    Well, here's the strange thing.
    Lol....
    I was on the phone with the wife the other night telling her about my amazing adventures on this business trip
    Http://detman101.blogger.com
    And it wore out the battery. So I charged it that night with the wall charger for the heck of it and when I woke up the next day it was fully charged! And it was charged again this morning!

I guess I got a visit from the crackberry fairy?

Dm

05-07-08 08:02 AM
    Same thing happened to me on my 3rd day of having a BB. Instead of using the supplied wall charger, I used one of the 5 that I have like it- I mean they all came with cell phones.

My battery wouldnt move past 1/3 charged. Left it on charger all night and by morning, still at the 1/3 mark.

I decided to use the charger that came with and it resumed charging like nothing ever happened.
    05-07-08 08:21 AM
    Wow, well then these devices are truly smart! They are able to sense when an alien charger is attached.
    I just keep falling deeper and deeper in love with this device!

Dm

05-07-08 09:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD