So I thought I'd share a little story with you guys about my day at the beach today and my brand new Tour.

I decided to head down to the beach today because it was supposed to be a nice day out. I have the Blackberry silicon skin on my Tour, but having seen a friends Curve become unusable due to a single grain of sand being stuck under the trackball, I decided I wouldn't take any chances and I would put my Tour in a Ziploc bag. And boy and I glad that I did.

As I was packing up to leave, a wave from the rising tide came up the beach and flooded my little area that I had set up with my towel and cooler and such. I grabbed my bag that had my stuff in it and jumped out of the way... Only to look back and see my Tour in its bag, floating in the sandy water.

I quickly snatched up my Tour and the outside of the bag was covered in sand and water, but thankfully the inside was nice and watertight. My Tour was dry and sand-free!

Long story short, I could've spent all the money on cases that I wanted, but a Ziploc bag saved my $500 phone. So be careful, beaches + blackberrys don't mix too well.

Thanks for reading, everyone else I told this story too just called me a dumb*** for leaving my phone behind.
    07-20-09 05:57 PM
    DAMN! Nice timing! I know what I'm doing if I ever go to the beach with my phone.
    07-20-09 06:01 PM
    Luck you I'll keep that in mind when I go to the beach

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-09 06:05 PM
    tour in the sand is a nightmare.
    07-20-09 06:11 PM
    I paint houses for a living and put my blackberry in a ziploc bag from time to time also to prevent little specs of white paint from ending up inside it.
    07-20-09 06:16 PM
    LOL, this is funny cuz i just got back from Myrtle Beach, i had the versa got pushed in the pool and killed that then upgraded to the tour, so next day we go on the boat we pull up on the sand too far i jump in the put it out, Oops, my BB Tour was in my pocket. Got a new one tho. OMG, those 2 days were not good phone days
    07-20-09 06:20 PM
    Just got back from Myrtle Beach myself. Took the Tour with me. But it stayed in the room while I was goofing off. Thankfully no accidents.
    07-20-09 06:24 PM
    ziplock bags are great for phones whenever your gonna be around water...
    07-20-09 06:33 PM
    Yeah I brought my Curve to the beach and sand demolished the housing. Scratched the F out of it.
    07-20-09 07:19 PM
    LOL! OMG! The same thing happened to me yesterday, but I DIDNT have a ziploc!! However I grabbed my phone just in time and it didnt get wet, BUT there was a bit of sand under the key SO I used one of those air in a can and now it's perfecto!! LOL Sounds like we had like experiences with the stupid waves at the beach yesterday!! I was trying to cool off by just getting my legs wet and a wave knocked me completely over and I was covered in sand from head to toe!! LOL NO BUENO
    07-20-09 07:35 PM
    I haven't tried it yet with the Tour, but a plastic bag worked perfectly as my Kindle case at the beach this summer.
    07-21-09 02:06 AM
    Anyone else enjoying these BB stories as much as I am?

Let's see...

The beach story...
    The praying mantis story...
    The top of the car story...

And a few others I've read! I love'em!
    07-21-09 02:45 AM
    Anyone else enjoying these BB stories as much as I am?

Let's see...

The beach story...
    The praying mantis story...
    The top of the car story...

And a few others I've read! I love'em!
    I figured you guys would. Fortunately my Tour didn't get any water on it or anything. Too close of a call for me though, its staying in the car from now on.
    07-21-09 09:52 AM
    Do you realize how easily a ziploc bag can tear, especially at a beach full of sharp sand, rocks, and shells...lol you are so lucky.
    07-21-09 10:04 AM
    A heavy duty zip-lock (brand name) bag works perfectly at the beach I just went a few days ago and used it for my keys (keys have electronic starter) & phone. I don't wanna get my brand new phone dirty! too bad carrying your phone in a zip-lock bag permanently isn't socially acceptable or I'd prolly do that lol
    07-21-09 10:09 AM
    I put my tour in my pocket in a ziploc bag at work. I work ln a lumber yard and sawdust always gets all over my berry. Ziploc bag protects it quite nicely

07-21-09 10:11 AM
    Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best solutions....

07-21-09 10:16 AM
    Been doing this every weekend at the cape for a couple years now. Zip-Lock bags are pretty damn awesome!
    07-21-09 10:19 AM
    Hmmm, maybe I should get some stock in Ziploc bags...
    07-21-09 10:26 AM
    My dad saved his new Bold by putting it in a Ziploc bag, we were boating and hit a huge wave, the water came crashing down on everyone in the boat and soaked everything, but the Bold...
    07-21-09 10:32 AM
    You could just leave your phone in the car.

07-21-09 10:35 AM
    cool story.
    07-21-09 10:52 AM
    Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best solutions....

I ride a bike, and carry the BB in one of the back pockets of my jersey. On 100+ degree days I frequently pour water on my head/back, and have been keeping the phone in an Oakley sunglasses nylon bag - thinking that might not quite be safe enough for a direct hit.

Problem solved. Thanks!
    07-21-09 10:59 AM