View Poll Results: What is the best "nearly nude" skin for the Storm?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • ZAAG Invisible shield

31 43.66%
  • BodyGuardz Protective Skin

10 14.08%
  • Best Skins Ever

16 22.54%
  • Other (please post comment below)

14 19.72%
02-21-09 02:22 AM
28 12
tools
    I just got my replacement Storm (I got a Canadian one but that's a different story). I had a Best Skins Ever skin on my old model and liked it a lot, except that the skin was cut in such a way as to have a couple sharp points that seemed to attract pocket fuzz.

The question that I'd like to pose to the Crackberry community is this:

Which "nearly nude" skin is the best?

Pick your choice in the poll above and leave any comments below.
    02-18-09 09:10 PM
    Phantomskinz, is best if you dont like sharp corners. The pieces Fold over on most of the edges. whereas other skins are cut out.
    02-18-09 09:11 PM
    Phantomskinz, is best if you dont like sharp corners. The pieces Fold over on most of the edges. whereas other skins are cut out.
    I read somewhere else on this forum that the Phantomskinz tend to scratch a bit. This is an issue I never had with my BSE. Can anyone confirm/deny?
    02-18-09 10:25 PM
    I use DecalGirl skin. They're not clear ones, but very thin, easy to appy and durable. Variable themes too, I got "carbon" one.
    02-19-09 01:18 AM
    I have a skin on my phone that I created myself at disney store dot com with a Tinkerbell theme and my name. I use a clear hard case on top of that to protect it from catching lint and dirt. I had already done this with my Zune and was happy I could do it with my Storm as well.
    02-19-09 02:20 AM
    I read somewhere else on this forum that the Phantomskinz tend to scratch a bit. This is an issue I never had with my BSE. Can anyone confirm/deny?
    I can say from personal experience that Phantom Skinz does not scratch.... at least not very easily. I visited one of their carts at the mall and had them install a full body kit on my storm. But before I had them touch my baby I asked the two guys who were there if it would scratch. They told me that it "could" scratch under some extreme circumstances. But they added that this is not unique to only their product. They said that "all of these clear skin type products can be scratched.... after all, they are produced by cutting the patterns with a plotter" which they explained is basically a computer controlled knife.

Basically, he said that the product is extremely scratch resistant, but it is not bullet-proof, nor scratch proof, regardless of what others claim. He said that Zagg claims this yet he has seen the Zagg product scratched before.

I have had mine for two weeks and am happy to say that there is not one scratch on it and it is very smooth and "untextured" compared to the Zagg product that one of my friends purchased.

I would HIGHLY suggest this product to anyone who is considering this type of coverage for their device. But if you are looking for something that is "scratch-proof" you will not find it. Although Phantom Skinz does come with a lifetime warranty where they will replace the product if it ever does scratch.

I know this is pretty long winded, but there are so many people who ask questions about this type of product that I figured I could spend the time relaying what I have heard about this industry.
    02-19-09 03:54 PM
    Phantom skins are great but you have to put them on perfectly or else they start to accumulate dirt around the edges. I had to take the side panels off because it was annoying me. Now I only use the screen and top and bottom front pieces.
    02-19-09 04:08 PM
    I have phantom skinz and am very satisfied. I sent my Storm to them to have it installed though, it came out pretty good. Very thin, I can still use the cradle charging dock.
    02-19-09 04:57 PM
    I prefer ghost armor. I have it on my storm and my girlfriends dare and it really is great. No bubbles or imperfections and went on really easy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-09 05:15 PM
    I can say from personal experience that Phantom Skinz does not scratch.... at least not very easily. I visited one of their carts at the mall and had them install a full body kit on my storm. But before I had them touch my baby I asked the two guys who were there if it would scratch. They told me that it "could" scratch under some extreme circumstances. But they added that this is not unique to only their product. They said that "all of these clear skin type products can be scratched.... after all, they are produced by cutting the patterns with a plotter" which they explained is basically a computer controlled knife.

Basically, he said that the product is extremely scratch resistant, but it is not bullet-proof, nor scratch proof, regardless of what others claim. He said that Zagg claims this yet he has seen the Zagg product scratched before.

I have had mine for two weeks and am happy to say that there is not one scratch on it and it is very smooth and "untextured" compared to the Zagg product that one of my friends purchased.

I would HIGHLY suggest this product to anyone who is considering this type of coverage for their device. But if you are looking for something that is "scratch-proof" you will not find it. Although Phantom Skinz does come with a lifetime warranty where they will replace the product if it ever does scratch.

I know this is pretty long winded, but there are so many people who ask questions about this type of product that I figured I could spend the time relaying what I have heard about this industry.
    Never fear the length. This is exactly the kind of detail that I want. It seems to me that the Phantom skins really are correcting the two main issues that I had with the BSE:

1. The sharp corners.
    2. The "wavy" look to the screen when you see it at an angle.

#2 wasn't really a MAJOR thing for me, because everything still seemed right when looking dead on, but it'd be nice to have a cover for the glass, that actually looks like glass.

Now I need to find a kiosk...
    02-19-09 09:45 PM
    Do those of you using PhantomSkinz have weird lines you can see at certain angles on the screen protector? I've had two sets of screen protectors and they have been on all four of them.
    02-19-09 09:49 PM
    I have used Zagg skins on my cameras, and my phone and my wife's phone as well...no problem at all and I bought them for my storm and have them on right now. I went with the full body kit. I think it makes the phone look great and I have never experienced a scratch on any device the Zagg skin is on....
    02-19-09 10:42 PM
    I've only had experience in Ghost armor and Phantom skinz, but I've done ALOOOOOOOT of reading of other skins.

They are all pretty much the same only with minor differences

For the Cheapest:
    BSE I believe its around $6-8

For the toughest protection:
    Go with Zagg IS or BSE they are the toughest, but being the toughest they are the thickest.

For the Best "nakid" look
    Go with Ghost Armor or Phantomskinz Very minimal orange peal look to it.

Ghost Armor VS Phantomskinz:
    Ghost Armor:
    easier to install
    stronger material which also means thicker
    the corners of the chrome has notches cut out leaving small area exposed.

Phantomskinz:
    Was a pain to install (compared to Ghost Armor)
    Better overall feel to the phone (the skins folded over the chrome edges)
    Thinner but also means not quite as durable as other skins

I'ved tested the strength of Phantomskinz and ghost armor:
    Ghost armor did hold up better the phantomskinz, but if you check out some youtube videos of the strength test of Zagg is miles stronger then Ghostarmor or Phantomskinz.

I might do a video review of these two products if there is interest in seeing it.
    02-19-09 11:28 PM
    I have heard some crazy horror stories about the removal of the screen protector piece from ghost armor...residue and in some crazy cases it pulled the screen off...any truth behind this becasue I am also in the market for a skin.
    02-20-09 12:23 AM
    Residue should not be a problem. However the skin sticks to certain area really well and require some hard pulls. All you have to do is keep pressure down with a finger while you pull away. I removed my ghost armor with no problems

02-20-09 12:41 AM
    Ghost Armor:

Phantomskinz:
    Both of these comments refer to the Storm's skin? Also, is there a difference in the overall feel of the skins or was that what you meant?
    02-20-09 01:10 AM
    Residue should not be a problem. However the skin sticks to certain area really well and require some hard pulls. All you have to do is keep pressure down with a finger while you pull away. I removed my ghost armor with no problems

Right on...I just remember reading a post a month or so back about a guy that pulled his screen clean off trying to get the screen protector off...I am looking into the ghost armor only because I realized how bad the screen protectors from VZW actually are. I dropped my phone (3 ft onto carpet) the other day in my bedroom and the bezel made contact with my bed frame and to my dismay the screen protector had actually ripped off the screen (tore in half not just pulled up). Thank god there was no further damage but I figureed these things to be a bit stronger than that...oh well thin skin here I come!
    02-20-09 01:10 AM
    Both of these comments refer to the Storm's skin? Also, is there a difference in the overall feel of the skins or was that what you meant?
    This is in regrades the storm skin.

This might be hard to explain w/o a drawing
    but imagine you place a business flat down on a desk and glued it so it wouldn't budge. When you slide your finger from the desk to the business card you will feel the sharp edge (not talking about corners) of business card. It is because the card is not beveled you can feel the change from table to card.

Well the skin is the same way. you will feel the edges of the skin on the phone. Its a very small annoyance but its there. Phantomskinz fixes this problem by folding over with one bigger pieces whereas Ghost armor breaks it up into small pieces which means more edges to feel.

Yes its very Nit picky but I see it as you are spending $25+ on a clear plastic sticker and honestly thats what it really is. So why not want the best cutout and quality for the price your paying
    Last edited by xxraffyxx; 02-20-09 at 07:32 PM.
    02-20-09 01:25 AM
    GHOST ARMOR.

I have installed both. Ghost Armor on mine, BestSkinsEver on my friends. Ghost Armor is far-and-away the best of the two. BSE has significant "orange peel" after it dries. I can feel it when I run my hand over his screen. Ghost Armor is essentially invisible.

Ghost Armor comes in more pieces, so it more time consuming to install, but I like it much better.

BTW, both skinned phones still fit in the Storm bedside cradle.....a little snug, but not a problem at all.

(why wasn't Ghost Armor included in the poll???)

PS: I initally installed the skins on the 4 buttons on the phone, but really disliked it. I have pulled them off and the phone feels much better in my hand now.)
    Last edited by richs10; 02-20-09 at 06:44 AM.
    02-20-09 06:40 AM
    i have the phantomskinz armor on mine. it fits in the charging dock and in my seidio holster. i've had this on my phone for about 2 months now and i have no scratches whatsoever. i've only had my seidio holster for a couple of weeks.

the best part of this armor is that u get 2 of them. if u screw up on one or ever have to get ur storm replaced, u have a back up skin to apply
    02-20-09 08:56 AM
    i have the phantomskinz armor on mine. it fits in the charging dock and in my seidio holster. i've had this on my phone for about 2 months now and i have no scratches whatsoever. i've only had my seidio holster for a couple of weeks.

the best part of this armor is that u get 2 of them. if u screw up on one or ever have to get ur storm replaced, u have a back up skin to apply
    fastcivic:
    This is probably nit-picking, but it should be noted that Phantomskinz does not call itself "armor". As far as I know, only Ghost Armor uses that term. It might confuse people who are trying to differentiate between the different skins available.

I do like the idea of a back-up skin though!

Another helpful point: With both Ghost Armor and BSE, the touch screen looked terrible right after installation. In fact the BSE had a huge bubble/indentation in the middle of the screen when I finished the install. I really thought I had messed it up. But 24 hours later, all the imperfections had completely disappeared. It is very important to give these skins time to cure before judging them.

Thanks, Rich
    02-20-09 09:36 AM
    Well the skin is the same way. you will feel the edges of the skin on the phone. Its a very annoyance but its there. Phantomskinz fixes this problem by folding over with one bigger pieces whereas Ghost armor breaks it up into small pieces which means more edges to feel.
    Thanks. I felt a phone w/ the Ghost Armor on it and that edge where the sticker ends and the phone begins can be a bit jarring. There's too much height difference and it feels weird.
    02-20-09 06:40 PM
    I've only had experience in Ghost armor and Phantom skinz, but I've done ALOOOOOOOT of reading of other skins.

They are all pretty much the same only with minor differences

For the Cheapest:
    BSE I believe its around $6-8

For the toughest protection:
    Go with Zagg IS or BSE they are the toughest, but being the toughest they are the thickest.

For the Best "nakid" look
    Go with Ghost Armor or Phantomskinz Very minimal orange peal look to it.

Ghost Armor VS Phantomskinz:
    Ghost Armor:
    easier to install
    stronger material which also means thicker

Phantomskinz:
    Was a pain to install (compared to Ghost Armor)
    Thinner but also means not quite as durable as other skins

I'ved tested the strength of Phantomskinz and ghost armor:
    Ghost armor did hold up better the phantomskinz, but if you check out some youtube videos of the strength test of Zagg is miles stronger then Ghostarmor or Phantomskinz.

I might do a video review of these two products if there is interest in seeing it.

Ok.... Since you all love the info.....here is the rest of the info I have heard and read and seen, both from posts on this site and from experience.

When I had my skin installed, the guy at the cart told me that all of the skin manufacturers use the same basic material in their films which is urethane. He says that the difference between the Phantom Skinz and Zagg is the glue and the "clear coat" that Phantom Skinz has on top of the urethane layer. He said the clear coat is what gets rid of the "orange peel" texture that is visible in the Zagg product. Idk about the differences in glue.

I also remember reading that Ghost Armor and Phantom Skinz use the exact same "clear coated" material and that the only two differences between these companies are the designs that they use to cover the phones. The guys at the Phantom Skinz mall place said that their designs try to minimize the number of seperate pieces to provide an overall soother feel and reduce the number of edges compared to other companies. He also said that Phantom Skinz offers more coverage than Zagg on the storm (specifically the chrome corners). The Phantom Skinz does cover EVERY part of the Storm.

I believe you can view the different designs for all of the manufacturers on their respective websites. Or if you have some questions you could ask the representatives of the companies on this site. I know they sometimes post on the forums to answer questions. Phantom Skinz Guru (PS) and Evangelist (Zagg).

I have also read that companies such as BSE do not include multiple skins in their shipments, they charge for shipping, and they do not back their products up with a lifetime warranty. Correct me if I'm wrong but im pretty sure this is accurate. Zagg does not include two kits in their shipments either. But they do have a nice box/packaging and free shipping. Phantom Skinz sends out two kits in their shipments but does not have as attractive packaging. Both Phantom Skinz and Zagg back up their stuff with lifetime warranties.

Wow.... I feel like an expert in this field now.

I believe all of my information is correct but I have read a ton of posts and may have misunderstood something. Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong. And im sure the company representatives can clarify any other questions and what not if you send them PMs or if they find this thread.

Good luck to everyone in their decision making. I know there is a ton of info to consider when comparing these clear skins. Hope all my input has helped.
    02-20-09 07:53 PM
    fastcivic:
    This is probably nit-picking, but it should be noted that Phantomskinz does not call itself "armor". As far as I know, only Ghost Armor uses that term. It might confuse people who are trying to differentiate between the different skins available.

I do like the idea of a back-up skin though!

Another helpful point: With both Ghost Armor and BSE, the touch screen looked terrible right after installation. In fact the BSE had a huge bubble/indentation in the middle of the screen when I finished the install. I really thought I had messed it up. But 24 hours later, all the imperfections had completely disappeared. It is very important to give these skins time to cure before judging them.

Thanks, Rich

My Phantom Skinz looked foggy when it was first installed as well but they said it would go away within two hours and it definitely did. I think this is normal with all of these products. They said it is caused by a thin layer of water trapped beneath the skin and that it would evaporate.
    02-20-09 07:55 PM
    I think the "Zagg" is the best sreen protector and thats how its spelled not zaag
    02-20-09 09:18 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD