09-01-11 08:46 AM
80 123 ...
tools
    The Otterbox has worked great for past bb's but I've seen some bad reviews for the torch. What's the best hard case?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-10 08:44 AM
    The Otterbox has worked great for past bb's but I've seen some bad reviews for the torch. What's the best hard case?

Id of thought, with it being a slider, any hard case would suck for this; with the case having to move with the phone.

Id look forward to a answer to this though, as my phones are deadly prone to cracking.
    11-02-10 09:03 AM
    Id of thought, with it being a slider, any hard case would suck for this; with the case having to move with the phone
    You would be correct. All of the hard cases have a separate top section for the slider screen. They tend to pop off at the most inopportune times. Like, for example, when you drop the device. The Otterbox is probably the worst.
    11-02-10 09:49 AM
    Love my Otterbox and haven't had one bit of trouble with cover coming off.
    11-02-10 10:29 AM
    the GRT case is the best, it has its own built in slider so it stops all wiggle.
    BlackBerry Torch GRT Case - AT&T - BlackBerry - BlackBerry Torch - AGF
    watch the videos

and u can buy them for cheap on ebay
    New AGF GRT Hard Case Blackberry Torch 9800 Blue+Chrome - eBay (item 150506038272 end time Nov-11-10 13:11:45 PST)
    bhmpics likes this.
    11-02-10 10:38 AM
    My otterbox commuter case has worked great. Never had the screen cover pop off once. I would definitely recommend it to my friends.

11-02-10 10:41 AM
    I've been through 3 otterbox cases for my Torch, first 2 times thinking I had a defective model. The front cover BROKE each time!... This time I switched to the AGF case, so far so good. I just wish I had different color options
    11-02-10 01:35 PM
    That sounds like a great case but it's a pity they don't ship to South Africa

the GRT case is the best, it has its own built in slider so it stops all wiggle.
    BlackBerry Torch GRT Case - AT&T - BlackBerry - BlackBerry Torch - AGF
    watch the videos

and u can buy them for cheap on ebay
    New AGF GRT Hard Case Blackberry Torch 9800 Blue+Chrome - eBay (item 150506038272 end time Nov-11-10 13:11:45 PST)
    11-02-10 02:50 PM
    My problem with the Otterbox was that it kept locking the phone, eventually causing the screen to freeze up. Got the AGF now and it's great. Too bad, I was really excited about the Otterbox :/

11-02-10 02:56 PM
    Have had 3 cases for my torch.

1. Otterbox commuter, bought at AT&T store. Not a bad case, but the top piece only attaches at the top and bottom so it does tend to pop off, especially if dropped. One good thing about otterbox is the eased edge below the trackpad. Allows for easier gliding with your finger. One con: No way to dock for charging/bedside mode

2. GRT is not bad, integrates the top section into the bottom with it's own glides. Makes the whole thing a bit more stiff when trying to open and close. Will probably help wobble. One con: No way to dock for charging/bedside mode

3. Siedio Innocase with belt clip. Which is what I'm using now. I had this arrangement for my 8350i and really liked their slightly rubbery feel. I tried to get away from the belt clip, but found I had no good place to put the phone besides stuffing it in my pocket which was not useful so I've gone back to the clip. Not everyone's cup of tea. Much more grippable than the other plastic cases. Doesn't add much bulk at all. As far as I can tell the top section attaches in 6 different places and while I haven't dropped it yet, I'm hoping this helps to keep the top case on. While it's not available yet, I'm hoping they make their "innodock" for this model. I had their stand up dock for my previous BB and it's nice to just drop it in and have a nightstand clock as well as BB charging.

Roveer
    11-02-10 03:08 PM
    So, no problems with the seidio coming apart?

11-02-10 03:30 PM
    Does the GRT only come in silver and blue. If so that kinda sux.

11-02-10 03:31 PM
    Does the GRT only come in silver and blue. If so that kinda sux.

Yes those are the only colors. It comes with both. I was thinking about trying to strip and paint the silver one a different color.
    11-02-10 03:33 PM
    Looks like GRT might be the best way to go! For me atleast

11-02-10 04:03 PM
    So, no problems with the seidio coming apart?

I've had it less than a week and like I said I haven't dropped it yet, but so far I like it a lot and it hasen't come apart. I am a little biased towards Seidio since I had one for almost 2 years on my other BB.

Roveer
    11-02-10 04:52 PM
    That sounds like a great case but it's a pity they don't ship to South Africa
    i also found they do not ship to uk
    11-02-10 05:32 PM
    Pretty likely you can find a reseller on ebay that will
    11-02-10 06:15 PM
    I've had it less than a week and like I said I haven't dropped it yet, but so far I like it a lot and it hasen't come apart. I am a little biased towards Seidio since I had one for almost 2 years on my other BB.

Roveer
    I had the Seidio Innocase & holster with my 9700. I liked it a lot. The pictures of the Innocase for the Torch made it look a little bulky though

By any chance have you tried on the Case-Mate Barely There in a store? Just wondering how it compares to Seidio as far as thickness.

11-02-10 07:53 PM
    Here are some photos that i just took this morning of the Seidio Innocase. I don't know how much bulk you are trying to live with or without, but it seems nice to me.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/se...pinion-546081/
    11-04-10 01:08 PM
    Anyone try this case - XMATRIX CASE ?

-Rich
    11-17-10 03:55 PM
    Just purchased a GRT case I hope it is better than the Otterbox. I dropped my torch the other day. The phone hit the sidestep on my truck, the front popped off and my torch got some nasty nicks and scratches on the side bezel area. It was the first day I had it. Disapointed in Otterbox.
    11-17-10 07:52 PM
    Just purchased a GRT case I hope it is better than the Otterbox. I dropped my torch the other day. The phone hit the sidestep on my truck, the front popped off and my torch got some nasty nicks and scratches on the side bezel area. It was the first day I had it. Disapointed in Otterbox.
    I went from an Otterbox to the GRT, and it is overall far superior:

- The lock/mute keys don't get pressed down by the case. In fact, because the case comes up around the keys, they are harder to accidentally press.
    - The built-in slider is very solid and won't cause the screen to wobble, unlike the Otterbox. It also won't pop off accidentally.
    - The Otterbox face plate scratched the inside of the bottom bezel.
    - They are both around the same thickness.

There are a couple negatives though:

- It can be a little difficult to plug in a standard OEM USB cable, due to the shape of the cut-out. I find myself having to remove the case in order to charge the phone to prevent any damage to the port on the phone. Furthermore, it is a little difficult to remove the case and it may cause some scratches on the bezel.
    - There are no coverings for the side buttons or ports, unlike the Otterbox. However, the Otterbox does have the large gap between the front and back pieces.

In short, the Otterbox has a superior back piece, while the AGF has a better front piece.

I'm looking into getting a Noreve case next. I know it's not a "hard case", but if anyone has any experience with it, I'd be glad to know.
    Last edited by Masahiro; 11-17-10 at 08:33 PM.
    11-17-10 08:29 PM
    check out the case-mate "barely there" case, which is thin while adding the right amount of protection... here's my video review of the black one!

11-17-10 08:31 PM
    I ordered the Mobi Products Clear Hard Shell Case and it arrived today. Great fit and adds very little bulk. It's flexible but sturdy and hugs the corners well. For $12.95 plus shipping, I'll give it a shot. I ordered it after reading another review where the Otterbox failed.
    11-17-10 09:23 PM
    I bought the cheap one from ebay for 10 Dollar and they work fine....it wont come off no matter how hard i push the slide..
    Last edited by Roxor; 11-18-10 at 02:44 AM.
    11-18-10 02:41 AM
80 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD