Buyer beware -

The Best Buy Platinum series Storm 2 cases are not nearly as good as the Seidio cases they resemble.

I bought one out of frustration because Seidio was taking their sweet time releasing their S2 case. I've had it for only about 2 weeks, and the grip-feel coating is already coming off. Minor bumps and scuffs scratch the coating right off, exposing shiny finish plastic underneath. The holster clip also wears the finish off quickly.

Yes - it still works, but it won't stay good looking or grippy for long.
    Last edited by TBacker; 12-16-09 at 02:14 AM.
    12-16-09 02:10 AM
    I also bought the Platinum case out of frustration with Seidio. I have had it for maybe 3 weeks (bought it the day the trucks delivered them to Best Buy). However, the case is still perfectly intact...no finish rubbing off....yet.
    12-16-09 05:54 AM
    I have it as well, coating is coming off a bit, but still like the case.
    12-16-09 06:17 AM
    When I first bought it I was impressed but after three weeks it has not held up. When I remove it from the holster the bottom piece separates from the top and a few times it has come off completely. The holster clip has worn down also. It takes almost no pressure to move it from its verticle position. I am returning it this weekend.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-09 06:17 AM
    wow its lucky i checked crackberry! I was about to go pick up one of there..but for 40 bucks i want something thats going to last..
    12-16-09 01:24 PM
    Within the first week, the coating comes off easily. I thought it was just a defective case, so I exchanged it for a new one. This one does the same thing, so I'll eventually have to return it to Best Buy within 30 days. I'm surprised that the case is designed so well but the simple detail of a durable coating escaped them.
    01-13-10 12:22 PM
    ive had mine for a few weeks now and it still looks like new. but i bought the otterbox commuter case about two weeks ago and the clip that comes with the platinum case works with my commuter case perfectly
    01-13-10 04:49 PM
    I picked one up also. Vzw had zero to choose from. Took that jank back and ordered a defender...
    01-13-10 08:10 PM
    I also picked one up about 3 weeks ago. My coating is also coming off. Can someone point me to the identical one made by seidio? I don't mind waiting if its a better case.

Thx.
    01-13-10 08:49 PM
    Dont think the seidio ones are out yet.
    01-13-10 09:12 PM
    Fedex just delivered to me here in India a Seidio clip and 2600 maH extended battery.
    01-14-10 05:42 AM
    Was going to get another casing, thanks for the heads up.
    01-14-10 05:50 AM
    I also picked one up about 3 weeks ago. My coating is also coming off. Can someone point me to the identical one made by seidio? I don't mind waiting if its a better case.

Thx.
    Innocase II Surface Combo, Black
    01-14-10 07:30 AM
    The Platinum Cases at Best Buy are made by Seidio. I emailed Seidio and asked if they are made with the same material as the cases they sell online. They said yes. I bought one for my husbands Tour and the only difference I see is that they added a piece that separates the screen and the keyboard.

01-14-10 11:04 AM
    The Platinum Cases at Best Buy are made by Seidio. I emailed Seidio and asked if they are made with the same material as the cases they sell online. They said yes. I bought one for my husbands Tour and the only difference I see is that they added a piece that separates the screen and the keyboard.

That is true but the overall quality is not as good. The holster clip that rotates wares out quickly and it will rotate with the slightest amount of pressure. The ones sold under the Seidio name are of a much higher quality. More expensive of course. The case's are also not the same material, i dont care what they said. Wouldnt be the first time a customer service rep made a statement that turned out to be false.
    01-14-10 11:14 AM
    I've had the case for almost a month and have no issues with it thus far but i expect a little wear from a case
    01-14-10 04:06 PM
    Otterbox :read:
    01-14-10 05:05 PM

Seidio? My platinum case (for 9550) is apparently made by incipio according to the slip of paper. But I heard some platinum series stuff is made by Seidio according to a thread I just searched for and partly read. I wonder if Best Buy had both companies make a version for 9550 and if so, is one better than the other? I might have to get the Seidio one at best buy, (it should be free...), since the black rubber paint on the incipio kind rubs off easily.

01-14-10 06:36 PM
    I have owned two platinum cases so far - one for my 8330 and now one for my 9550. I love these cases. I had the one on my 8330 for six months before getting my 9550 and it still looks like new.
    When I knew I was getting the Storm, I got the case first just to make sure I would have it. I also use the Zagg brand screen protectors and nothing harms my BB.
    04-21-10 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD