I've searched and there are hundreds of threads about holsters and belt clips, so I apologize if this particular question has already been posted.

What's the big problem so many people seem to have with holsters/belt clips? Is it a generational thing? I understand if you don't normally wear a belt, this would be a problem. But I hear my (and other) teenage kids and younger folks talk about how "nerdy" they are and they would be mortified if they ever had to (gasp) use any kind of a case with their phones, much less a BB. And heaven forbid if they DO actually have a protector or skin of some kind that they would actually have to wear it on their person!

They all want to carry them in their pockets or just loose...and then they get mad and don't understand why their phones get dropped, rained on, stepped on, kicked, sat on, gunked up, and otherwise damaged, mutilated, and broken. Around here, kids seem to go through 2-3 devices a year, and no one seems to be that concerned about it. Their parents just get them a new one. (Not this old-fashioned guy, though.)

Now I'm not so naive as to think my way of doing things is right for everyone. But I just don't see what the problem is. Is a belt clip the new "pocket protector", i.e. nerd gear? I personally don't care how someone else thinks it "looks", because I know it protects and preserves my BB. But I'm just curious.
    12-30-08 02:30 AM
    My 10 y/o daughter keeps her celly in her pocket. It's not a BB, though she really wants one. She's never expressed anything 'against' a clip/holster (and she would), and is arguably more anal about taking care of her stuff than I am.

Personally, I use a holster on my hip when I don't wear a suit, and when I do, I use the OEM case my BB came with, in the inside pocket of my suit.
    12-30-08 02:45 AM
    I personally like using a holster, just refuse to by the BB ones anymore because their clips are crap and always break. I resorted to the OEM case and now just a skin......pain sticking it my pocket though!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-08 02:52 AM
    I have always preferred using a belt clip, although most of my friends have no pouches, etc. protecting their phones.
    12-30-08 03:32 AM
    Yes wearing a holster is nerdy. It ranks just a hair under constantly "wearing a bluetooth headset".

That being said, many buisnessmen I work with wear their holsters with pride. In fact some wear two or three devices on their belts i.e, buisness cell, personal cell, and pager. I can't help but chuckle to myself when I see them. They remind me of batman and his utility belt.

I would also disagree with you on how children take care of their phone. If it is a "cheap" phone then yes it will get tossed around and dropped. But I gaurantee those with fancy iphones cradle their phones like babies.

Personally the only protection I've put on my past 5-6 phones is a screen guard and they get carried around naked (without case) in a dedicated pocket (no keys, coins, etc). All my phones still look brand new.

But untimately who cares what others think. If you're happy carrying your bb in a holster, then so be it. Wear it proudly my friend.

12-30-08 03:30 PM
    That's just it...I don't wear it proudly or ashamedly. I just wear it because it's an effective tool to protect and preserve it. For some, however, there seems to be a stigma. No skin off my back, just an observation.

And I would still respectfully disagree on the fancy phones...kids around here just don't take care of them.
    12-30-08 10:45 PM
    I use the belt holster clip, although i use it in my pocket. (Phone being holstered inside of my pocket) and i use a screen protector too. I do not know why one would consider it "nerdy" lol.. I'm 23 years old, don't even know how or why i found this site but found the information useful.. If you're pondering what "nerdy" is.. Maybe you should see what webpage you're viewing :-P.

I do it to protect my investment. Just like i keep my tools in a toolbox. I consider it a necessity.
    12-30-08 10:50 PM
    I agree - kids don't care about devices, regardless of price.
    Neither of our kids use any sort of case for their phone. One throws it in a purse bare & one puts it in his pocket. He did however spend the $$ to protect his ipod which he then lost. I think he's on his 3rd ipod and probably 4th phone in the past couple of years because he lost or damaged previous items.

I see my BB case as an accessory - just like a purse, but I'm a girly girl and no ones ever made fun of my 'stuff'. My husb just pockets his phone but I've seen his friends with clips and it just seems normal to me, not 'dorky'
    12-31-08 07:08 AM
    I'm 24 and don't consider them nerdy at all! I protect my investments, and would think others would do the same! If you want a phone that you can toss around and throw into your pockets, purses, and backpacks naked, GET A RAZR!
    12-31-08 07:34 AM
    can you be a bigger nerd come on of course it looks stupid its like wearing socks with sandles
    12-31-08 07:47 AM
    Guilty Of Using My Pocket
    12-31-08 07:56 AM
    At work (or around where I work), it's perfectly fine to have BBs and/or phones holstered for both men and women. Those women who choose to put it in their purses or men who put in it in messenger bags or briefcases have to fumble around when their BB's start to ring or vibrate. Maybe it's where I work, but a lot of people understand that one person can have multiple devices (personal, business, etc.). One might chuckle for having all that strapped onto their waist, but if a company mandates their employee be "connected" and accessible, there really isn't much choice for them.

If I'm at the bar, a holster can stick out like a sore thumb. But get it in the right case and/or wear something that disguises it nicely and no one is the wiser. If it seems geeky to holster...well, it's just as geeky as the odd duck just texting away in the corner with no holster while everyone with a holstered device is on the dancefloor.

I'll agree with LuvMyBB: There are some kids (and adults) out there who don't take care of their belongings. Then, they whine and complain blaming everyone else for shoddy workmanship when, in reality, it was their own carelessness caused the problem.
    12-31-08 07:19 PM
    It is always the same pattern for me. I search out a good case or holster, use it for a few weeks or months, then I take it off and never use it again. I don't like the bulk that they add, which was especially noticeable on my flips when they did not close properly.

I'll get one for my BB once they make them tough like bulletproof rubber and thin like paper.
    01-01-09 10:20 AM
    Why worry about what other people think. If you have a bb you have one of the greatest tools on the planet. So what if you protect your investment by adding a screen protector and wearing a holster. I remember when people thought eyeglass retention devices were nerdy. Guess all the people in Florida wearing sunglass retention devices....croakies...are nerdy also. Just another device to protect another speciality tool (have you priced Costa del Mar polarized sunglasses lately?). So wear that holster with pride and welcome to the bb / cb nation!
    01-01-09 10:50 AM
    No a holster is def not Nerdy IMO....As you can see by my screen name im in the Real Estate business and im constantly on the go...constantly going from property to property and my BB being one of my most important tools, needs to be protected and accessible to me at all times...which is why since day 1 i have always Holstered my device however i also look at it as an accessory as i have an OEM BB holster in almost ever color available with the exception of pink in order to match what ever im wearing that day...my storm is not only holstered but its also screen protected and covered by a seidio clear hard case...(im very anal about keeping my things in shiny mint condition) so to answer your question i never even thought wether my holster was considered nerdy or not i always looked at it as a standard means to carrying ones phone...

at the end of the day im a very confident person... and i truly can care less what anyone else thinks...
    01-01-09 11:13 AM
    Sorta. I think the moral equivalent is the over the bluetooth headset.

01-01-09 11:19 AM
    I have a difficult time believing so many people put their handsets in their pocket.....just mind-boggling IMO. You don't care that you SIT on it or that it gets 'crunched' if it's in your front pocket? Also might be part of the reason why some complain about missing calls on their Storm. And, then there's the lint...

When I get my Storm, it will reside in a holster on my belt, ready to be quickly answered and protected from pocket grunge and breakage.
    01-01-09 11:43 AM
    I use the holster just to keep my BOLD close at hand.
    01-01-09 12:02 PM
    I have seen the spate of kids who are given everything,and, consequently have no incentive to properly care for the equipment they have. My girls,
    as they wanted devices, had to
    Work and pay for the equipment they wanted. They were told how to care for thingsan and that if they broke it, the deductible was theirs if they wanted another one. Teach them that there are "No Free Rides" and most of the time they'll rise to the occasion.
    As for my Curve, until I finish my hardware upgrades, it resides in its case in a button-down pocket while I'm carrying, and nestles down in a safe place while I rest.

01-01-09 12:07 PM
    If you're using your BB during work hours, then a belt clip is more acceptable, although I still prefer to pocket carry. It doesn't hurt it if it is in the front pocket and you don't put anything else in that same pocket. Stick it in with the keys facing your leg, and the screen towards the bottom so that when it rings and you pull it out, it is already in the right position and you don't have to twist it around and be more likely to drop it.

I can completely see why kids wouldn't use a clip. Like I say, I try to avoid doing it even during business hours.
    01-01-09 01:55 PM
    Well Im in the unique position of seeing hundreds of destroyed cell phones every week. And I agree, no matter the cash amount of the device, children (and some adults) will destroy them by not taking proper care of them. And then will go about passing blame of on anything they can as long as it's not their fault.

My solution is a Holster during work hours. Very acceptable and actually even encouraged at work!

Outside of work, i use a pouch but i clip it so the pouch is actually inside my pocket, so even if i do dump a keychain or some coins in there with it, it has the pouch to protect it, and clipping it to the pocket keeps the phone at the top and easily accessible.

There are plenty of "designer" cases and clips out there. WE carry Dooney and Bourke and my wife owns (At great expense to me) a Coach cell phone case. So the stigma of having a "Geeky" case can be offset my designer labels. IMHO!
    01-01-09 03:06 PM
    Why worry about what other people think. If you have a bb you have one of the greatest tools on the planet. So what if you protect your investment by adding a screen protector and wearing a holster. I remember when people thought eyeglass retention devices were nerdy. Guess all the people in Florida wearing sunglass retention devices....croakies...are nerdy also. Just another device to protect another speciality tool (have you priced Costa del Mar polarized sunglasses lately?). So wear that holster with pride and welcome to the bb / cb nation!
    Oh, I'm definitely not worried and couldn't care less what other people think about whether or not I use a holster. I was more interested in why some people (younger?) seem to think it's so uncool. It's more of a social/generational inquiry.

It gets back to the carelessness with which some seem to handle these devices, and yet these are the first to b&m when their devices break or fail prematurely. Just seems silly and foolish to me

But then I've never been one to care much for what other people think of my "fashion" or "accessory" choices.

And allow ME to welcome YOU to bb/cb nation!
    01-01-09 07:34 PM
    when I bought my phone I bought the black leather holster, and use it most of the time I hate for my stuff to get messed up, I had a SideKick 3 before my BB and it doesn't even look like I had it 2 yrs.
    01-01-09 08:47 PM