I've had the Torch for a few weeks now and love it aside from the battery life

Another issue however, is related to my recent purchase of the Otter Box brand Commuter series case. Since using the case for less than a week now, I have been having problems with my qwerty keyboard locking up. The touch screen still works when this happens but I have to pull the battery before being able to use the keyboard again. This has only happened since installing the Otter Box case. I used the Otter Box gel case for my BB Bold 9700 and loved it with no complaints but it seems the case for the Torch may be creating some pressure point problems of some sort because I have also noticed that it is pretty touchy with my "lock" button on the top left of the device.

Anyone else experiencing this?
    12-04-10 11:19 PM
    Hey drice,

I had a similar situation with my Torch Commuter case - what I discovered was you have to be very careful with the silicon insert at the top of the phone. I believe what was happening in my situation was the the screen lock and mute buttons were getting pressed simultaneously by the silicon liner, which would totally lock the device up requiring a batt pull.

Here is how I remedy the situation when installing the device into the case:

1) Make sure to push the Torch down towards the bottom (keyboard) end of the case as much as possible.

2) When inserting the top of the phone, gently hold the piece of the silicon insert that runs acrross between the scr lock and mute buttons up as you insert the phone. Once the phone is nestled into the case, you can then push the silicon insert strip down with your fingernail so it orients properly. (If need be, you can use a toothpick to help get the strip in place - tiny enough to get in, and won't scratch your device.)

3) Make sure the rubber "cover" over the headphone jack is out of the way enough to not hamper installation.

4) Also, before pushing the phone down into the case, try as best you can to make sure the silicon insert "pads" that cover the scr lock and mute buttons are oriented properly.

First couple of times it will be a ***** - but, after that, you will get the hang of it and now these steps are pretty much second nature.

And - I no longer have any problems.

Hope this helps,

drice01 likes this.
    12-05-10 09:11 AM
    I had begun using your technique yesterday and it has helped so far. Still wish Otter Box made a full gel case for the Torch.
    12-05-10 04:58 PM
    Had the same problem !! Before you insert the phone, stretch the silicon insert up on top where the phone goes in This helped out, hadn't had a problem since.
    12-05-10 05:16 PM
    Commuter case kept freezing up my phone. Tried stretching etc., and it kept messing up the phone. Returned it!
    12-05-10 07:48 PM
    Same exact thing happened to me. I didn't need the extra annoyance of dealing with that so I returned the case. Hopefully my BB leather pocket arrives this week ^.^
    12-05-10 09:30 PM
    I feel your pain. It is delicate; with the already sensitive phone lock & mute buttons on the device. Mine has been ok since the original thread.
    12-07-10 03:21 AM
    I am also experiencing this problem with the Otterbox case and the Seidio case
    12-21-10 11:11 AM
    I agree. This has happened to me several times, always after removing and then putting the Otter back on. Just have to be careful and get the rubber back in correctly. Bit of a hassle. Nice case though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-25-10 07:45 PM
    I also experience this with commuter cases, I prove with various cases and still blocking my torch. I have contact Otter customer service they dont have an explanation for this behavior.

05-01-11 03:24 PM
    I actually couldn't seem to get rid of the problem (even after trying what you guys suggested) and finally cracked down at contacted OtterBox, and they said they had gotten numerous similar complaints regarding their first batch and so, they replaced my Commuter for free. Their customer service department is really nice and actually deliver on their promises. 2 thumbs up for OB still!
    06-04-11 10:20 PM