03-27-10 07:24 PM
97 1234
tools
    I have been using this in my car.
    Bracketron Grip-iT Mobile Device Holder Universal holder for portable electronic devices (model PHV-200-BL) at Crutchfield.com

It has a nice hole on the left hand side so that you can get your charging cable through to charge it. I also like this specific one because it is universal. Maybe one day you would like to put your iPod there, you have the option. And personally I just like vent mounts, I stay away from windhield mounts.
    You do know that you could buy that on eBay for $8 including shipping. Only thing missing is the packaging.
    01-27-09 09:21 AM
    I've been searching for where to buy that for a couple weeks without any luck. It looks awesome, but looks like a total phantom product at this point.
    I just clicked the link to the British ebay and Control/C copied the item # 160309682859. Then go to the US ebay and Control/V the number in the search field; you can order straight from there. They even gave the US dollar equivalent ($17.40 with shipping to US!) We'll see how long it takes to get here.
    01-27-09 10:39 AM
    I just clicked the link to the British ebay and Control/C copied the item # 160309682859. Then go to the US ebay and Control/V the number in the search field; you can order straight from there. They even gave the US dollar equivalent ($17.40 with shipping to US!) We'll see how long it takes to get here.
    That doesn't look like the same mount as the Kidigi I saw.

I did find it here: www.4u mobi.com // This online shop for internal test only, will launch on 10/Feb/09

It looks like a great product (especially for $29) - it's almost like a cradle in that it has the built-in micro USB adapter that your phone slips into as opposed to putting it in the cradle, clamping it down and then plugging it in. There's also a hands-free version for $49 at the link I gave.

Only question is: has anyone ever herd of 4u-Mobi or ordered from them? This whole thing looks like a "too good to be true" product.
    02-02-09 12:17 PM
    That doesn't look like the same mount as the Kidigi I saw.

I did find it here: www.4u mobi.com // This online shop for internal test only, will launch on 10/Feb/09

It looks like a great product (especially for $29) - it's almost like a cradle in that it has the built-in micro USB adapter that your phone slips into as opposed to putting it in the cradle, clamping it down and then plugging it in. There's also a hands-free version for $49 at the link I gave.

Only question is: has anyone ever herd of 4u-Mobi or ordered from them? This whole thing looks like a "too good to be true" product.

I decided to try... The nice thing is you can use paypal... So if its a gip... You can at least fight it and get your money back..I will keep you updated
    02-02-09 12:31 PM
    If you're driving a truck, then I highly recommend this mount:

Car Floor / Seat Bolt Mount and Cradle for Apple iPhone & Touch Fits 3G SM225-iPhone

I drive a 2006 F-150 and I haven't been able to find any vent mounts that fit tightly. Dash mounts are just a bad idea... you never want to add weight on top of a dash... what a great way to ruin your CD player. So the seat bolt mount just seemed like a no brainer. That link I just posted is the same exact mount that I use for my Storm and I love it!!
    I have an F150 too and this looks like it could work. Does it block the USB port though? I would want to be able to charge the phone while I sue it on trips for GPS functions.
    02-02-09 12:37 PM
    Dash mounts are just a bad idea... you never want to add weight on top of a dash... what a great way to ruin your CD player.
    That couldn't be further from the truth.
    02-02-09 12:47 PM
    I decided to try... The nice thing is you can use paypal... So if its a gip... You can at least fight it and get your money back..I will keep you updated
    I'll probably be ordering in the next day or two. Which one did you go for...the hands free or standard?

The PayPal thing gave me a little bit of confidence too.
    02-02-09 02:40 PM
    a Verizon windshield mount and a Bracketron Cup Holder mount. I prefer the Verizon one as it provides a better viewing angle. It is available in the VZW stores and costs $19.95
    02-02-09 02:51 PM
    Bought this vent mounted one today at WalMart for $14.95. Works great. Holds the Storm securely and easily rotates to vertical or horizontal. It also has an opening in the bracket so I can feed through the car adapter charging cable.

Packaging (with item removed):

Vertical:

Horizontal:
    02-04-09 02:52 PM
    I have a friend that has that all purpose case that's like $60 that you can throw around and it won't break(Don't know the brand) and he just velcroe's it to his steering wheel. LMAO. Now, if by chance you care about your phone and like your car... Well, nevermind then!
    ...and if the airbag in the steering wheel ever pops....
    02-04-09 02:57 PM
    I personally have a similar setup to the photos above, but a cheaper universal model and mounts to the windshield. Actually when the first one was shipped, it came broken. I asked for a replacement and they sent me one after I sent them photos of the broken one. Since then, I took ye ol' hot glue and fixed the first one and now I have 2!

Eventually, i am planning on creating a center console piece for my car to hang from the ceiling (watch, no drilling) and there I can mount it in the car as if it was meant to be. Do I have too much time on my hands? I'll let you know when I start building it.

I built a custom box for my CB (Dukes of Hazzard anyone?) that fits between the center console and the rear seats and looks as if it came with the car. So I've got a leg up in this department.
    02-04-09 06:55 PM
    If you're driving a truck, then I highly recommend this mount:

Car Floor / Seat Bolt Mount and Cradle for Apple iPhone & Touch Fits 3G SM225-iPhone

I drive a 2006 F-150 and I haven't been able to find any vent mounts that fit tightly. Dash mounts are just a bad idea... you never want to add weight on top of a dash... what a great way to ruin your CD player. So the seat bolt mount just seemed like a no brainer. That link I just posted is the same exact mount that I use for my Storm and I love it!!
    OK, I just got the mount listed above. Here's my take...

The mounting hardware is very good. Nice and solid.
    The plastic part that connects to the top of the mount where the radio connects needed quit a bit of work to make it right.

First where it connects to the top of the swivel bar is so loose that it would move from side to side with the slightest movement. I had to put some thin foam with a sticky backing on the plastic base to cause some friction between the base and the phone mount so it would fit snugly.

The right side foam of the phone mount would press the camera button whenever I would squeeze it together to snug up the phone. I had to cut the foam away where it would line up with the camera button.

There was no way to plug the phone in when it was in the mount. So I marked where the USB port was when it was in the mount then took mount to my drill press with a 3/8" drill bit. Then took my Dremel to finish off the hole and clean up the area and then cut the foam away where it covered the hole. Now all is well!

I haven't road tested it yet but it seems to be pretty solid.
    02-05-09 07:08 PM
    I picked up a cupholder mount with a bendable neck at Office Depot for $20. They are with the GPS units. It is the same design that DrJazz posted pics of, except for mounting in the cupholder. I had bought the same one he posted from Walmart, but it got in the way of my stick shift if I put it on the right vent. I wasn't comfortable with using it on the left side.

All ports are easy to get to because the grips move around. I love that I can easily navigate it while driving, especially now that QuickLaunch is out. I drive an Expedition so putting it on my windshield or dash is too far away for me to "touch" it.
    02-05-09 07:25 PM
    Bought this vent mounted one today at WalMart for $14.95. Works great. Holds the Storm securely and easily rotates to vertical or horizontal. It also has an opening in the bracket so I can feed through the car adapter charging cable.

Packaging (with item removed):

Vertical:

Horizontal:
    Looks just like Bracketron's air vent mount but this one costs more. You could of bought the Bracketron on eBay for $8 including shipping.
    02-06-09 08:34 AM
    I have bought several car mounts and for one reason or another they didn't work as I liked. I finally found one I love. It's the Bracketron Mobile Grip-iT Suctioncup Mount. I bought it from talkietech.com. What I like about this is when you place the storm in the holder, the sides do not touch the buttons. Also, it swivels so you can have your phone either upright or landscape. You don't have to bend the whole arm attachment. The swivel is built into the holder. The holder also extends wide enough that it will hold most GPS units or XM radio etc. This was the first mount I found that extended out this wide and that the sides didn't push the side buttons in.
    02-06-09 11:15 AM
    I use the ProClip and for me, it works great.
    02-06-09 03:36 PM
    Looks just like Bracketron's air vent mount but this one costs more. You could of bought the Bracketron on eBay for $8 including shipping.
    Yes you are right they do look the same. The link to the eBay store that sells them is here: eBay Store – Dealopolis: Search results for.
    02-06-09 04:48 PM
    I got 2 of these (just the holster not the case) for my truck and suburban

BlackBerry Curve Signature Holster

It will probably not work on the visor but I have it clipped over the side of my cup holder and works fine. I did have to "adjust" the 3 wings though. Sort of like when you get a new ball cap and you roll the bill. It isn't perfect but it works really well.

Of course when I bought mine they were on sale. I got them for 10 bucks each.

In my Suburban:

In my Truck:

02-06-09 05:33 PM
    NEW UNIVERSAL MAGNET MAGNETIC CAR MOUNT FOR CELL PHONE - eBay (item 330297494839 end time Feb-27-09 13:00:40 PST) Accessories?hash=item330297494839&_trksid=p3286.c0 .m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240 %3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

cool magnet thing.. never used one before but wanna try.. will it mess with the storm in anyway?
    02-06-09 08:16 PM
    NEW UNIVERSAL MAGNET MAGNETIC CAR MOUNT FOR CELL PHONE - eBay (item 330297494839 end time Feb-27-09 13:00:40 PST) Accessories?hash=item330297494839&_trksid=p3286.c0 .m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240 %3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

cool magnet thing.. never used one before but wanna try.. will it mess with the storm in anyway?
    Considering that Blackberrys use a magnet to activate sleep mode, I wouldn't try it.
    02-06-09 08:36 PM
    Considering that Blackberrys use a magnet to activate sleep mode, I wouldn't try it.

thats what i was thinking
    02-06-09 08:51 PM
    would this one hold the storm well?

Cell Mobile Phone Car Mount Holder for Apple iPhone 3G - eBay (item 260301698966 end time Feb-13-09 21:46:17 PST) essories?hash=item260301698966&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1 4&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240% 3A 1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

pretty nice made for the iphone though...
    02-06-09 08:54 PM
    It would depend on where the magnets are to put it asleep. I wouldn't know because I have never owned a BlackBerry. If the are at the bottom I don't think it would affect it.

You could test it by placing a magnet in the same area you would put that unit. This why you could find out before you order it.

James
    02-06-09 08:57 PM
    what about post #47 would that iphone one fit the storm
    02-06-09 08:58 PM
    would this one hold the storm well?

Cell Mobile Phone Car Mount Holder for Apple iPhone 3G - eBay (item 260301698966 end time Feb-13-09 21:46:17 PST) essories?hash=item260301698966&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1 4&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240% 3A 1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50
    nope. i bought it and had to return it. it's nice but because that other phone is a bit thinner than the storm it does not work.
    02-06-09 09:18 PM
97 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD