Hi all. this is my first post and i have searched and read stuff that the forum suggested and could not find an answer to this question. I just got the phone a few days ago and i have mixed feelings about it. It seems overly complicated with four different areas to turn the LED off and so forth.

ANY way, my phone died a few minutes ago, and i plugged it into to the charger that came with the phone and it is charging, but i still cannot make a call. it says its too low for radio use. how do i manually turn the radio use back on so i can make a call while its plugged in?
    01-01-09 10:14 PM
    You can't, untill there is enough power, even when its charging. I just did this last night. It took 15 min before the radio turned on.
    01-01-09 10:20 PM
    click the BB button from the home screen so it brings up all your icons. then click Manage Connections icon and click on Mobile Network, it'll search a second and get VZW with a green checkmark.

the phone turns the radio off when it gets low and dies, you have to wait til it charges a little while before it'll let you turn it back on unfortunately. give it a little, im not sure the lowest % of battery needed to be able to turn it on.

but it'll let you once it has reached the minimal juice requirement or whatever they defined it as
    01-01-09 10:21 PM
    thats one of the things about this phone that pisses me off the most. why the **** cant you use the radio when the battery gets low; and if its plugged in then really.. wtf?
    01-01-09 10:22 PM
    You can't use the radio when the battery gets too low because it is harmful to the battery to fully discharge it, and the radio is the biggest power user in the phone. Shutting off the radio allows other functions to continue to be used. As for using the phone while it's charging, the charging circuit charges the battery, which powers the rest of the phone. That's just the way the charging circuit is designed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-01-09 10:46 PM
    I was really rooting for this phone. i have always just got the basic phones that come with the contract renewal upgrade because they do what i need a phone to do call and text. My mom was dead set on getting me a iphone or storm for christmas so i figured why not lets see what all the fuss is about and it could help organize my life a bit. but honestly the phone has done things that irritate me more than any phone i have ever owned.

you cant just turn off the led you have to find ever secret option that includes the LED and disable individually.
    you cant make calls when plugged in, you have to have battery to make calls... while plugged in.
    you cannot connect to wifi (i guess?) and i have never gotten 3g network service since i have owned the phone.
    and i have yet to have a battery charge last over maybe 16-18 hours. thats with maybe half an hour of talk time, 10 text messages and 5 minutes off attempted "internet" use.
    and you cant lock the screen while you talk? my 3 year old chocolate thought of that.

i dont know i am not trying to sound like some old guy that is too set in their ways to enjoy technological advancement. i am 22 and i think the storm is really wild but its like when i want a phone its not doing it for me. i dont want an iphone anymore i just want the storm to be good i guess i have this gift for 2 years now.
    01-01-09 11:15 PM
    here's a thought, don't kill your phone...
    01-01-09 11:41 PM
    first of all, it sounds like smartphones just arent for you. they arent for everyone. you say most important things you need is calling and texting. you can get a non smartphone that does these things well and that will probably last longer battery wise cause they arent doing all these extra things you dont need.
    i say this also because you seem to dislike that the phone has lots of options and seems "complicated"

you can use the phone while its plugged in, you just cant use it when the battery is at 0%. you have to wait for it to come back to 5% which is not a big deal, thats like 5 to 10 minutes of charge time.

what makes you think you havent gotten 3g? the fact you havent seen a 3g icon? that doesnt mean your not on 3g, 1XEV is verizon's 3g.

no it does not have wifi, 5 minutes of researching your purchase would have told you that.

16 to 18 hours is basically a day. most smartphones dont even last a day. which brings me back to the point that i dont think smartphones are necessarily for you. a dumb phone will give you the 1+ days your looking for. although i use my phone alot more than you do (based on your stated usage) and mine lasts almost 2 full days.

no you cant lock the phone while you talk, that is a legit issue with the phone. i will give you that one.

honestly, i think a 22 should pick out their own phone, it would have helped make sure you got the right thing. having mom pick out a phone for you is bound to fail.
    01-01-09 11:55 PM
    How do I use the radio?

01-02-09 12:22 AM
    he is talking about the phones cellular radio, not a fm/am radio. it doesnt have one of those. that would be the omnia.
    01-02-09 12:23 AM
    if you think the battery life on this phone is no good then you dont even wanna go near the iphone honestly...at least with the Storm you could buy a backup battery and swap em out towards the end of the day...you say it lasts about 16-18 hours, so that would give you 6-8 hours to charge while your sleeping...seems good enough to me
    01-02-09 12:47 AM
    16-18 hours? I wish.

More like 8-12 for me. Very disappointed in the battery life.
    01-02-09 01:01 AM
    Many rechargeable devices (radios, phones, etc) won't run just on the charger, the current available from the charger alone is not sufficient to recharge the battery AND run the phone simultaneously.

When the battery is too low to run the phone, it takes all the current the charger (or USB port on your PC) can supply just to get it charged. In fact, if they didn't have the protection circuit, chances are there'd be so much "hum" from the power supply the phone wouldn't work properly anyhow.

It should only take 15-20 minutes for the charger to bring the battery up enough for the radio (phone transceiver) to be used (briefly). In 6-8 hours, it should be fully charged.

LiIon batteries have some great characteristics that make them just about ideal for this application, but they're also pretty "touchy", so don't try to push them into doing something they're not happy doing. Some computer users have found doing this to have catastrophic (and incendiary) results.
    01-02-09 01:09 AM
    If you stop and think about this for a minute, you'll see the logic behind the decision.

If the battery reaches a critical level, it shuts down the cellular radio to preserve power. This is a Good Thing(tm). It is to try and keep the rest of the phone functional for as long as possible, since any time you shut the phone off unexpectedly (like with a battery pull) there is a small chance of losing data.

Now, if you plug it into a charger, it still makes you wait for some minimum charge level. This is so you have enough power to make a phone call for a few minutes if for whatever reason the external power source fails. Also, unless someone states otherwise, it's probably safest to assume the Storm does NOT have intelligent circuitry that allows it to bypass the battery when it is plugged in. Working on that assumption, to use the phone while plugged in would be h3ll on your battery. You would chew through a significant number of your finite (500-1000) recharge cycles before the battery starts to lose capacity in a very short period of time.

So, while you could choose to interpret this in a paranoid Orwellian fashion, in this particular case it's a benevolent Orwellian overlord that really is acting in your best interests. You just need to stop, take a deep breath, and spend a couple of minutes exploring possible reasons why something is the way it is before getting all upset and cranky. Very few things "just happen" with commercial products. Almost always there is a very calculated reason behind even the tiniest of details.

So before you go flying off the handle and making yourself look like a moron when calmer minds point out a fairly simple, benign, and obvious explanation... Maybe you should just spend all of 5 minutes trying to noodle it out for yourself BEFORE making a complete arse of yourself in a public forum like this. If you have 5 minutes to post a rant about something being the way it is, you have 5 minutes to spend contemplating possible explanations.
    01-02-09 01:37 AM
    bigman, if i have offended you i apologize. i have not come to a point that i am going to destroy my phone. i am merely puzzled that the phone i know little about seems to have "features" i did not understand the reasoning behind.
    it is very possible that smartphones arent for me, i was just really hoping they were. i am not giving up and i feel that after i get used to the phone it will become quite intuitive. i did search for my inquiries before posting and did not find anything. if i have committed an unwritten no-no here on this post i am sorry it was not my intention, i was just stating problems i have been having that i figured people smarter than my self would be able to kindly help me with. and that was achieved, thank you all for your help.
    01-02-09 08:44 AM
    Let me start by saying, ... boywonder's gripe is a legitimate one and telling him to think about explanations for why it's done that way as opposed to airing his grievance is just stupid.

I can always think of explanations for why things don't work they way they should or they way I want them to - that doesn't mean that they shouldn't (e.g. Verizon and GPS and/or bluetooth functionality). I love how you state that commercial products have a "calculated reason" for how they operate and we should just trust that their judgment is sound. That's just dumb, dumb, dumb.

Someone else pointed out that a lot of electronic devices don't allow you to use them when the battery is low, even if they're plugged in. Yeah, well, a lot of them do. I'm going to side with boywonder and say that I as a user would prefer that I be able to use the phone while it's plugged in - even if it means that it won't be charging the battery while doing so. I'll also risk the possible dropped call in the event it accidentally becomes unplugged while I'm in the middle of the call. It seems like that would be a much better alternative to just flat out not being able to make a call at all - even if it's "just" for 15-20 minutes.

There is enough current coming out of an electrical outlet to power the phone AND charge the battery. If the charger/converter won't do it because it can't output enough current, then redesign it. If it's an issue with software, then reprogram it. If other smartphones can do it (and some can) then this one should too (even when connected to a USB port).

I'm just tired of having a technical problem, researching on the Internet to see if other people have the same problem and have found a solution, only to find someone who has posted about the problem with others telling them it's not a problem with the device, it's a problem with them and how they're using it. Even better are the people who say that it doesn't effect how they use it, so it shouldn't effect anyone else either.

The truth of the matter is that technological innovation doesn't come about by developing a product that doesn't fit a user's needs and them forcing them to work around the "features." But then again, if RIM made the perfect phone, no one would be buying the iPhone.

While we're on the topic, if the phone automatically shuts the radio off when the battery is low, then it should turn it back on when the battery gets back to operational levels (my own personal gripe). Wait, let me think about logical explanations for this behavior for a second...yep, it should turn it back on automatically.
    Last edited by cpt_brainiac; 08-01-09 at 11:22 AM.
    08-01-09 11:19 AM
    I just got the blackberry a month or so ago. I have the same complaints as everyone here. If I were stranded on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere and my battery was almost dead...I would need it to make that emergency call for me. If I am paying 120 a month for a "smart-phone" shouldnt it at least function as a ******* PHONE. Thats the whole reason its still called a phone. If phone companies invest so much into creating a phone that does everything BUT make a phone call, I think were heading down the wrong path. The way things are going people have to have one phone that functions as a phone, and then have a totally seperate device if they want any of the other functions (and in this economy who can afford that?) But that seems like the sales scam phone companies are shooting for. Arent these devices supposed to make our lives easier and less chaotic? It just absolutely amazes me that people are defending the engineering of this phone when it was OBVIOUSLY created by total idiots who forgot that they were trying to improve the standard cell phone. Thats like putting a ton of time and energy into advancing the car, adding GPS, air conditioning, TVs, etc...then ending up with a car that does all that, but doesnt drive.

If there was a way to concerve your battery when you need it most by turning off some of the extra features for a while, then in times of need the phone might actually work. It seems that idea is just too complex for cell phone engineers.
    08-11-09 08:37 PM
    08-11-09 08:40 PM
    i understand the radio turning off, it lets alarms, calendar, and other essential business tools work until you can charge your phone, but why does the bluetooth keep working?

there are many apps people have been kind enough to make that lock the screen during a call. yes they cost a few $ but are very worth it.

i like the LED being individual settings. i drive for a living so i like it blinking for a missed call, but turn off the bluetooth. just too bright to have flashing all night.

16-18 hrs would be nice. i charge at least 2 times a day, but i pretty much live sitting on the phone.

would love to have wifi, but i pay for unlimited data so its not essential.

give it time to get used to, soon you will be addicted to your storm like the rest of us
    08-11-09 09:55 PM
    ...i like the LED being individual settings. i drive for a living so i like it blinking for a missed call, but turn off the bluetooth. just too bright to have flashing all night....
    In earlier OS versions, disabling the Bluetooth LED caused the Bluetooth connection to be dropped. It was a widespread bug across multiple devices in the days of OS 4.2 and OS 4.3. I haven't read anybody reporting the problem in a while. If you've turned yours off without encountering a problem, it sounds like the bug has been fixed.
    08-12-09 05:48 AM
    In earlier OS versions, disabling the Bluetooth LED caused the Bluetooth connection to be dropped. It was a widespread bug across multiple devices in the days of OS 4.2 and OS 4.3. I haven't read anybody reporting the problem in a while. If you've turned yours off without encountering a problem, it sounds like the bug has been fixed.
    This is the first BB I have used, was shipped with 4,7,0,75 so I have never experienced tat bug bit it would have been intolerable for me.

08-12-09 07:31 AM
    Dial 911 and hang up before the call is connected. It forces your radio back on...still probably awful for your battery but if it is an emergency situation you can still use the phone.

I personally like the fact that the phone shuts the radio off and conserves the last of the battery. It has helped me a few times where my battery was near dead but I could still access my contacts and make a call from another phone.
    08-12-09 07:54 AM
    I just got the blackberry a month or so ago. I have the same complaints as everyone here. If I were stranded on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere and my battery was almost dead...I would need it to make that emergency call for me. If I am paying 120 a month for a "smart-phone" shouldnt it at least function as a ******* PHONE. Thats the whole reason its still called a phone. If phone companies invest so much into creating a phone that does everything BUT make a phone call, I think were heading down the wrong path. The way things are going people have to have one phone that functions as a phone, and then have a totally seperate device if they want any of the other functions (and in this economy who can afford that?) But that seems like the sales scam phone companies are shooting for. Arent these devices supposed to make our lives easier and less chaotic? It just absolutely amazes me that people are defending the engineering of this phone when it was OBVIOUSLY created by total idiots who forgot that they were trying to improve the standard cell phone. Thats like putting a ton of time and energy into advancing the car, adding GPS, air conditioning, TVs, etc...then ending up with a car that does all that, but doesnt drive.

If there was a way to concerve your battery when you need it most by turning off some of the extra features for a while, then in times of need the phone might actually work. It seems that idea is just too complex for cell phone engineers.
    I think I should give a response to your thoughts,

If you were stranded on the side of the road, then most likely there would be other things going through your mind besides just making a phone call, like... staying alive?

As many have mentioned already, ForceRadioOn will allow you to make that last-resort emergency call even if the battery drops below a sufficient level to keep the radio on during idle.

The BlackBerry Storm and any other smartphone is designed to function as a device to make your life easier, messaging, scheduling, calling and even the occasional round of BrickBreaker are all well within it's capabilities.

In my personal experience, I believe the Storm is fine at making a phone call, I do have issues in regards to the phone app lagging, and sometimes the UI being a bit strange, but take that with a grain of salt as I'm running an old OS (.76, as I can't upgrade.)

In regards to smartphones, Smartphone dominance of the mobile device market is growing fast, not just from businessey types, but also from consumer adoption of things like the BlackBerry, as well as the iPhone and Symbian S60 series devices (which are more popular in European markets.)

The Storm is a first generation, it will most likely be updated soon with the Storm 2, which should offer those wishing to continue the path of a touchscreen BlackBerry with greater ease-of-use and better flexibility, including a better overall software experience with OS version 5.0.

RIM/BlackBerry have a few devices up and coming besides the Storm 2 such as the 9700 for T-Mobile USA, which is most likely what I'll be getting to replace my Storm when it comes out, I think you should possibly look into other devices such as the Bold, or Curve 8900 that are developed around a solid "foundation" of physical QWERTY keyboard based devices which RIM have produced for years.

I also ask you, what other features are you expecting to be disabled?

Sure, They can disable the screen backlight, but that is actually even worse then turning off the radio, as now we have a device with a radio that's on, but no way to see what's on the screen.

As was said, the Radio is the single largest user of power within the device, so it actually makes sense to disable it, in order to provide you with an amount of time where the device is still functioning without a connection to the mobile network.
    08-12-09 07:57 AM
    YES YoU CAN! Yes you can use you phone when battery is low for radio use. Given that is now low enough for the whole device to shut down. Go to. Options---- Advanced Opts.-----Wireless Update. That will force ur radio on (not am or fm hahaa) without the need for app. Just be careful. As this could damage the battery by letting the power level dip too low. Enjoy

08-12-09 09:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD