I've noticed when charging my phone in the car the battery gets real hot it was up to 105 and I decided to take it off the charger to let it cool down. I didn't want to see how much higher it would go. Is this normal or a phone issue

Thanks
    05-07-09 12:20 PM
    how do you find the phones battery temp
    05-07-09 12:51 PM
    Car chargers are usually quick chargers which means they charge the battery of the phone faster than the regular 120V house plug does. This is common in the cell phone world because its more convenient than havign to wait for 3 hours in your car while your phone charges.

Since it is charging so fast the battery gets warm...charging creates heat.

That being said it is also possible for a malfunctioning charger to be over charging the battery or a faulty battery to be shorting out and causing the heat also. This is fairly unlikely and normally results in extreme heat that deforms the battery, causes it to explode, and eventually stop working. If the battery works normally but just gets hot while charging it is probably fine...just acting normal.
    05-07-09 01:13 PM
    I've noticed when charging my phone in the car the battery gets real hot it was up to 105 and I decided to take it off the charger to let it cool down. I didn't want to see how much higher it would go. Is this normal or a phone issue

Thanks
    I notice that when I'm in the car and using Google Maps, which keeps the back light on while you're updating because you're driving, playing Pandora, and plugged in to the car charger because the battery will just fall through the floor with that much constant draw, it does get very hot. (No actual temp measurement, but noticeably hot in my hand when I pick it up.)

From the deep recesses of my mind about power transfer functions this makes sense. There's a lot of juice flowing to keep all that happening, and current produces waste heat. In this case enough internal heat to the battery that it fails to charge properly on the car charger. Again, this make reasonable sense knowing how batteries work when they're hot. But it seems to me that RIM failed to make the battery door with enough surface area to adequately dissipate that much heat.

Granted, this is an 'unusual' usage profile. So maybe they can be forgiven for assuming less power dissipation in the standard case. But it did convince me that I'm not going to waste my money on either the Verizon Navigator or the Garmin software product. A real GPS unit is designed to keep the screen lit in full sunlight for hours on end while plugged in to the charging system. I don't think the Storm is capable of handling that in the long run.

The Storm does a lot of things, but it ain't a real dedicated GPS unit. If your usage profile fits what it can deliver, then it may be great. But I need a real solid GPS unit, and I have decided to look elsewhere for that.

MB

[OK, so someone will say, "Gee Mikey, this thread is about batteries, not GPS.]
    05-07-09 03:16 PM
    how do you find the phones battery temp
    MeterBerry displays battery temperature. See my signature.
    05-07-09 03:18 PM
    My Car Charger must not be working because when i plug my phone into the charger it takes much longer then when im charging it from my 120V charger. The phone signals that it is charging on the battery indicator but it does not charge quickly at all
    05-07-09 03:32 PM
    My storm gets very hot as well on the car charger regardless of google maps or slacker running although it does get HOTTER with these. In fact it gets so hot that the battery stops charging and I have to unplug it and let it cool down to continue with the charging process which unfortunqately takes a long time. This is especially true on very hot days (i dont usually run air conditioning) which seems to add to the overall temp of the device.
    manageable but frustrating.
    07-05-09 02:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD