08-18-09 03:45 PM
26 12
tools
    The battery on my Bold is getting a bit low, but I'm at work and don't have its charger with me. There's a charger here that's for an old Razr or HTC or something, and it would fit my Bold... I've always heard how you're only supposed to charge your phone with the charger that it comes with, but if some other charger fits it, is it actually bad to do? What can happen? I wanna charge my phone, but not if this random charger here will be bad for it... Thanks for any input!
    08-13-09 05:11 PM
    I always heard this was true and never paid much attention to it. Use to charge my Moto Q with any charger that fit and it ultimately killed that battery. Now I'm not going to risk it with my berry. Do you have your usb cable? That what I use at work when it needs a little more to make it through the day.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-09 05:40 PM
    I always heard this was true and never paid much attention to it. Use to charge my Moto Q with any charger that fit and it ultimately killed that battery. Now I'm not going to risk it with my berry. Do you have your usb cable? That what I use at work when it needs a little more to make it through the day.

it will not ruin the battery, i would go for it
    08-13-09 05:42 PM
    I use the charger for my old razor all the time to charge my berry and havent noticed anything bad come of it
    08-13-09 05:44 PM
    Nope I do it all the time. mini usb is a mini usb. I use an I go in the car
    08-13-09 05:45 PM
    USB Spec calls for 5V, so the charger shouldn't output any more voltage than that. Shouldn't be any harm in using it.
    08-13-09 06:23 PM
    I have been using the car charger from my old razor for 4 years now and no problems.
    08-13-09 07:17 PM
    Perfectly safe...as most others have said. The battery will only charge until it is full no matter what charger you use.
    08-13-09 10:04 PM
    I have 3 chargers for my old Motorola that fit my Blackberry. I've charged this baby for 13 months now (different phone, same battery) and still get a great charge off it. I use whatever charger is nearest me - whether that's a BB-approved charger, or one of 3 for the old phone. In fact, I keep a Motorola one with me at work, so while there I charge it every night.

I just am going to HATE, however, when I get a new BB and find the Mini USB went to Micro. All my Motorola chargers will be useless .

Although my roommate's chargers may come up missing :P
    08-13-09 10:25 PM
    Good info.. Thanks
    08-13-09 10:29 PM
    It'll work fine. Mini-Usb AC Chargers charge anything mini-usb thirsty for.

'cept my Moto H700 Bluetooth, for some odd reason it doesn't like my Pearl charger O.o but works fine for my Bold.

and yea... I am happy for Micro USB... I bet... by the end of next year I'll have just as much USBA-Micro USB as I have USBA-Mini USB (I have like ten freakin' cables! Some short, some extra long >.<!)
    08-13-09 10:31 PM
    As a side note, the issue of using a different charger probably comes up with phones that use a plug instead of a USB port to charge. You could potentially use another phone charger with the same sized plug but that outputted a different voltage and it would possibly damage a phone. The key is to use a charger that outputs a correct voltage for your phone and you'll be safe.
    08-13-09 10:47 PM
    Same here, I use a RAZR wall charger and RIM chargers with no noticeable effect on the BB or the battery...
    08-13-09 10:56 PM
    cell phone chargers tend not to get jealous if you switch chargers, but if they do I am not legally responsible
    08-14-09 02:59 AM
    What the rest said, USB is USB. Nothing bad is going to happen.
    08-14-09 03:01 AM
    I have 3 chargers for my old Motorola that fit my Blackberry. I've charged this baby for 13 months now (different phone, same battery) and still get a great charge off it. I use whatever charger is nearest me - whether that's a BB-approved charger, or one of 3 for the old phone. In fact, I keep a Motorola one with me at work, so while there I charge it every night.

I just am going to HATE, however, when I get a new BB and find the Mini USB went to Micro. All my Motorola chargers will be useless .

Although my roommate's chargers may come up missing :P
    Amazon.com: MINI USB charger to Micro USB Charger Converter: Cell Phones & Service

Bout $6 or $7 cheaper than new cables. This one doesnt work with data cables. I saw some Moto's that would though (with USB 1.0 functionality from personal experience using the one that appeared randomly in my house) that are along the lines of $.80 to $1.20.
    08-14-09 03:15 AM
    Amazon.com: MINI USB charger to Micro USB Charger Converter: Cell Phones & Service

Bout $6 or $7 cheaper than new cables. This one doesnt work with data cables. I saw some Moto's that would though (with USB 1.0 functionality from personal experience using the one that appeared randomly in my house) that are along the lines of $.80 to $1.20.
    Would that look tacky sticking out my phone? I'm curious...
    08-14-09 03:18 AM
    Would that look tacky sticking out my phone? I'm curious...
    I would just buy a couple and electric tape them to my chargers.
    08-14-09 04:08 AM
    I use my old LG Dare charger.
    08-17-09 05:05 PM
    If I was you use the blackberry charger as a RIM tech if we see that the phone has been charged with a none blackberry charger you could possibly blow up your battery or void your warranty.

08-17-09 07:28 PM
    I use leftover chargers from my Motorola ic502, ic602, and my ic902 with no issues whatsoever.

Mike
    08-17-09 08:22 PM
    I occasionally use my tomtom power supply to charge my curve in the car. It has a mini USB connection too.
    08-17-09 08:55 PM
    If I was you use the blackberry charger as a RIM tech if we see that the phone has been charged with a none blackberry charger you could possibly blow up your battery or void your warranty.

That is utter nonsense. BlackBerry uses a standard USB connection to charge. Using another standard USB charger isn't going to damage the phone, and certainly won't be the cause of an exploding battery.
    Last edited by BerryEnvy; 08-17-09 at 10:20 PM.
    08-17-09 10:17 PM
    I've been using my bluetooth charger for a while now, and it's been working fine. It's a great little perk having the same charging cable for both, so I can keep an adaptor at home and at work.
    08-17-09 10:47 PM
    i've done this a number of times when I can't find my actual "blackberry" charger and everything seems to work out just fine....I have a fully charged phone, my blackberry is now in full action, and a old charger just got some attention....it's a win win deal!!!
    08-18-09 03:41 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD