I recently talked my gf into purchasing a BB Curve (she got the pink one of course). So after going and getting a 4GB memory card for her last weekend and helping her load a bunch of music on it she asked if she could use it as an MP3 player to plug into her car stereo.

Of course I told her she could and we went into Radio Shack last night to buy a cable to plug into her stereo input to use it. Well, the guy working there told me that they didn't have any cables that would work on the BB because their output jack is proprietary.

I was confused at first when he said this since it "looks" like a normal 3.5mm output jack to me. Then he went on to explain to me that you can't even get a regular headset to work on the BB because of the way the output jack is setup.

Well I don't have a regular headset at home and the only one I use is the one that came with my Curve.

So my question is... Is his information correct? Is the BB's output proprietary and is she going to have to buy a special cable to connect to her car stereo's input?

Thanks
    11-04-08 09:26 AM
    Why he11 no! I got mine at WalMart. Just a 3.5 to 3.5 (or 2.5 depending on the car jack) for the car and a 3.5 to RCA so I can jack into my home stereo. Radio Shack is a cornucopia of misinformation.
    Last edited by pltaylor; 11-04-08 at 09:35 AM.
    11-04-08 09:32 AM
    I recently talked my gf into purchasing a BB Curve (she got the pink one of course). So after going and getting a 4GB memory card for her last weekend and helping her load a bunch of music on it she asked if she could use it as an MP3 player to plug into her car stereo.

Of course I told her she could and we went into Radio Shack last night to buy a cable to plug into her stereo input to use it. Well, the guy working there told me that they didn't have any cables that would work on the BB because their output jack is proprietary.

I was confused at first when he said this since it "looks" like a normal 3.5mm output jack to me. Then he went on to explain to me that you can't even get a regular headset to work on the BB because of the way the output jack is setup.

Well I don't have a regular headset at home and the only one I use is the one that came with my Curve.

So my question is... Is his information correct? Is the BB's output proprietary and is she going to have to buy a special cable to connect to her car stereo's input?

Thanks
    He is correct. A normal 3.5mm stereo ear phones have 2 bands dividing the plug into 3 sections. The BB has 3 bands dividing it into 4 sections. This is to accommodate the microphone. You can buy an adapter cable. I purchased one at Fry's electronics but I'm sure others have them. They are between 10 and 20 bucks depending on where you buy. Search online, I'm sure you can find one. The adapter I have is about 6" long and has a male plug that goes into the BB and a female plug on the other end. You will need to use a normal 3.5mm male to male with this adapter to plug into your car.

I also purchased one that has a microphone built in. The one end plugs into my BB and the mic is at the other end. I plug my headphones into that microphone end. Now I can rock out and if a call comes in, simply press the button to answer. Works great! I think that was around 25 bucks and I found it online. Good Luck!
    11-04-08 09:38 AM
    Thats only if you want to use a microphone. Other wise just use the phone as normal.
    11-04-08 09:43 AM
    Why he11 no! I got mine at WalMart. Just a 3.5 to 3.5 (or 2.5 depending on the car jack) for the car and a 3.5 to RCA so I can jack into my home stereo. Radio Shack is a cornucopia of misinformation.
    OK Fine! I just tried to disprove your theory using my headphones here at the office and they worked perfectly. So now I'm totally confused. I guess this means that you should purchase the male to male 3.5mm because you will need that regardless. Then try it out. If it works - great, if not you will also need the adapter. Meanwhile someone can explain why the 3 element plug is working correctly in a 4 element jack.
    11-04-08 09:46 AM
    Thanks for the quick response guys. I actually found some regular headphones here at work and tested it and they work just fine, so a regular male to male cable should do the trick.

I'm going to go back into Radio Shack today just to let the guy know how wrong he is...

Thanks again.
    11-04-08 09:56 AM
    When my work PC died last month, I unpluged my speakers, plugged them into my BB and had music while the tech revived it. Did the same trying it with my Sound Dock at home. The majority of time I find that I know more then any sales geek when I go to buy electronics.
    11-04-08 10:02 AM
    There are several points here.

If you want to connect a Curve or a Bold to a sound system then all you need is a regular 3 pole (TRS) 3.5mm jack as you have discovered by plugging in a regular set of headphones.

If you wish to use a headset with a mic then the fourth pole on the cack plug is used.

The guy in Radio Shack is not entirely wrong. Curves are standard jacks but the Pearl requires a very special adapter and will never work with standard cables. I guess that he knew there was something special about BlackBerry audio jacks. He just did not know precicely what.
    11-04-08 10:13 AM
    My Pearls work fine with the standard cable Pete. Maybe just the 8100?
    11-04-08 10:16 AM
    The guy in Radio Shack is not entirely wrong. Curves are standard jacks but the Pearl requires a very special adapter and will never work with standard cables. I guess that he knew there was something special about BlackBerry audio jacks. He just did not know precicely what.
    Thanks for this info. One of the other sales associates there had a Pearl and maybe he figured all BB's are the same.

Well I'm just glad to hear that us Curve users don't need to buy any special cables or anything like that.

Thanks again for the quick responses guys...
    11-04-08 10:42 AM
    Great discussion guys - thanks for all of the info. Anybody want to buy an adaptor. I'm selling one cheap! lol
    11-04-08 10:49 AM
    My Pearls work fine with the standard cable Pete. Maybe just the 8100?
    Could very well be.
    11-04-08 01:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD