I went from a silicon case to a hard chrome plastic verizon case. I don't seem to noticed any call issues but when it's out of the case it is recognizably faster. Not much, but I notice it. Does anyone else have this problem? Is this a known issue? Trying to decide if I should go back to my silicon case.
    02-08-09 01:51 AM
    No difference in signal here. In fact I think my signal strength has gotton better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-09 02:11 AM
    i dont know.. i had to clean my memory and everything was back to normal
    02-08-09 02:45 AM
    Cell phones work on RF... The more things the signal has to pass through, the weaker it is by the time it gets to where it's going. All cases/skins will weaken the signal, but the material will determine by just how much.

A softer material that will vibrate more easily and thus allow the signal to pass through with less resistance will obviously make for a stronger signal than a hard rigid material that does not vibrate easily to allow the signal to pass through, creating more resistance and thus a weaker signal. At least as a general rule.
    02-08-09 08:23 AM
    Seems the same either way here

02-08-09 08:37 AM
    I have been in a concrete basement below street level and had a good signal. I have been stuck in the middle of Michigan's upper peninsula and had a good signal. The affect a case has on a phone, could only be minimal at best.
    02-08-09 08:40 AM
    No difference here. I am using the Innocase I.
    02-08-09 08:56 AM
    No difference with any of the cases I have(plastic and silicone). Now a metal case would be a different story.

02-08-09 11:14 AM
    I have been in a concrete basement below street level and had a good signal. I have been stuck in the middle of Michigan's upper peninsula and had a good signal. The affect a case has on a phone, could only be minimal at best.
    Despite common perception, concrete is really quite porous. A good chunk of any given section of concrete is just air. So it's not all that effective at blocking signals.

So while it may be a minimal effect, the fact remains that a hard case COULD potentially account for some loss of signal. How much depends on what the case is made of, and that material's ability to block radio signals, but SOME loss will occur regardless.
    02-08-09 11:32 AM
    i have just the normal clear one from verizon and mine is no different. But if it was the safety over the signal is for me
    02-08-09 11:47 AM
    I use the plastic Verizon case too, no issues.
    02-08-09 01:52 PM
    I don't see that a case being hard or soft alone would make any difference.

Something that would make a difference is the material make up of the case. For example, if the case contains some quantity of carbon, ferrite or some type of metals (chrome). That would make a difference, possibly a huge difference in attenuating a signal.

Ray
    02-08-09 03:01 PM
    Plastic no issues

02-08-09 08:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD