Just got one of these pod chargers for my Pearl, and it's great but why does the white light stay on even when you don't have the Berry charging in the pod? Isn't that a waste of electricity? Keeps drawing a current from the plug, so I have to end up pulling the plug from the socket which kind of defeats the convenience of having the pod, no?
    08-21-08 06:16 PM
    Just got one of these pod chargers for my Pearl, and it's great but why does the white light stay on even when you don't have the Berry charging in the pod? Isn't that a waste of electricity? Keeps drawing a current from the plug, so I have to end up pulling the plug from the socket which kind of defeats the convenience of having the pod, no?
    Agreed - white light just indicates "juice" is going to the pod
    08-21-08 06:25 PM
    the white light stays on the whole time just a feature to tell you the pod is plugged in. It remains on regardless if your berry is in there.
    08-21-08 06:27 PM
    the white light stays on the whole time just a feature to tell you the pod is plugged in. It remains on regardless if your berry is in there.
    That's a waste of electricity because I know when the pod is plugged in because I plugged it in!... besides, I can see it plugged in too. LOL. IMO, they shoulda made it so that it lights up only when the berry is in there only. Oh well.
    08-21-08 06:45 PM
    That's a waste of electricity because I know when the pod is plugged in because I plugged it in!... besides, I can see it plugged in too. LOL. IMO, they shoulda made it so that it lights up only when the berry is in there only. Oh well.
    ya i agree with ya i know it doesnt suck down a lot of power, but it does take some, plus after you plug it in you get no indication thats it charging unless you actually check your phone. If the light only came on when the phone was charging, it lit up. But i guess we have no choice in the matter lol.
    08-21-08 06:48 PM
    Its probable an LCD. Very very minimal juice going to it. Not something to worry about.
    =8')

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-21-08 07:04 PM
    Its probable an LCD. Very very minimal juice going to it. Not something to worry about.
    =8')

i highly doubt it's an LCD. more likely an LED.
    08-21-08 07:35 PM
    I have 2 pods for my curve coming tomorrow. My plan is to figure out a way to get rid of the light. I'll let u know what I come up with.

For those that know more than I do, can you break the LED w/o causing any issues with the charger?
    08-21-08 07:47 PM
    I have 2 pods for my curve coming tomorrow. My plan is to figure out a way to get rid of the light. I'll let u know what I come up with.

For those that know more than I do, can you break the LED w/o causing any issues with the charger?
    just etch out one of the PCB connections to the LED and solder the LED's contacts directly to the charging lines. just be sure to break and solder any and all connections downstream of any resistors or you'll pop the LED.
    08-21-08 08:10 PM

There are 2 LEDs on the charger pod. One in the rear section inside the pod base, and one in the front (the logo), so you'll have to disable two LED lights. They really shouldn't make it light up all the time, IMO. Constant draw of power from the socket. If you figure it out, let us know. Good luck.
    Last edited by dknyberry; 08-21-08 at 08:23 PM.
    08-21-08 08:21 PM
    i have a "kill-a-watt" meter around in the basement and one of these charging pods. I could put it on it and let you know how much juice it uses.

My guess is it doesnt draw much more than just having the charger plugged into the wall itself. Anything with a power brick (AC/DC adapter) draws power whether there is something plugged into it or not. Do a google for phantom power and you can read up about it.

Here is one link that talks about it:

Save Energy by Avoiding Phantom Power: Part 1 : Planet Green

So really the best thing if you dont want constant power draw from the charger is to unplug it from the wall or put it on a power strip and turn off the power strip when not in use. You'll save more power that way than disabling the LED.
    Last edited by gabbott; 08-21-08 at 09:07 PM.
    08-21-08 08:50 PM
    i have a "kill-a-watt" meter around in the basement and one of these charging pods. I could put it on it and let you know how much juice it uses.

My guess is it doesnt draw much more than just having the charger plugged into the wall itself. Anything with a power brick (AC/DC adapter) draws power whether there is something plugged into it or not. Do a google for phantom power and you can read up about it.

Here is one link that talks about it:

Save Energy by Avoiding Phantom Power: Part 1 : Planet Green

So really the best thing if you dont want constant power draw from the charger is to unplug it from the wall or put it on a power strip and turn off the power strip when not in use. You'll save more power that way than disabling the LED.
    Actually, could you do that please? I would like to know just how much power it draws in comparison to just having an ac/dc adapter plugged in with nothing connected to it. Thx!
    08-21-08 09:10 PM
    OK, put it on the kill-a-watt and with or without the pod plugged in it didnt even register. I have some LED night lights and they are rated at about .25 watts.

So assuming this thing using .25 watts if you figure you run it for a full year you will consume:

.25 x 24 x 365 = 2190 watt hours

Utility companies charge per kilowatt hour. So if they charge you say 12 cents per kilowatt hour, it would cost you just over 24 cents a year.
    08-21-08 10:25 PM
    Wow, awesome assessment.

Thanks,
    Dm

08-21-08 10:34 PM
    OK, put it on the kill-a-watt and with or without the pod plugged in it didnt even register. I have some LED night lights and they are rated at about .25 watts.

So assuming this thing using .25 watts if you figure you run it for a full year you will consume:

Utility companies charge per kilowatt hour. So if they charge you say 12 cents per kilowatt hour, it would cost you just over 24 cents a year.
    lol okay got my shinny quarter ready to send them
    08-21-08 10:39 PM
    now mulitply that shiny quarter by the many thousands of people doing the same and suddenly you got a lot of money being thrown down an led.
    08-22-08 02:06 AM

Thanks for that analysis. I read the article link you provided earlier, and they made it sound like all the plugs in your house end up costing an extra ten percent on your electric bill over the year, so was curious.

08-22-08 05:12 AM
    now mulitply that shiny quarter by the many thousands of people doing the same and suddenly you got a lot of money being thrown down an led.
    You are SO right! That shiny little quarter adds up nicely for the electric companies. I'll be unplugging from now on

08-22-08 06:56 AM
    I am glad someone did the assessment on the electricity. It takes so little energy to power the LEDs in the pod. If you are so concerned about the waste, then make a point to open your fridge one less time a week. You can power an LED with a watch battery. So think about that.
    08-22-08 07:12 AM
    I am glad someone did the assessment on the electricity. It takes so little energy to power the LEDs in the pod. If you are so concerned about the waste, then make a point to open your fridge one less time a week. You can power an LED with a watch battery. So think about that.
    Regardless, I think it's a bad design. They should either design it so that the light only turns on when the berry is charging, or get rid of the light altogether. The berry screen already shows it is charging when it is sitting in the pod.
    08-22-08 08:47 AM
    The only reason I want to get rid of the light is I can see it becoming annoying at night since I keep my BB charging on my nightstand.

I just received my Pod and this thing is pretty sweet. Very nice look and the BB fits in there like a glove. I have to give it a little push down when putting it in the pod since I have a full body BSE. Anything more than a BSE and this Pod wouldn't work.
    08-22-08 08:51 AM
    Wow, 12 cents per kilowatt hour? My bill just got here yesterday. I used 27.x kilowatt hrs and it was $80. I wish it was just 12 cents per. That would be awesome.

I have the barry pod. I un plug it while not in use just like all my other wall warts. So the light has never botherd me.

08-22-08 09:14 AM
    That is very true, but in the effort to save energy, switching one 60 watt light bulb to a 13 watt CFL bulb would save a LOT more energy in a year.

I'm all for saving energy, I'm actually pretty anal about it. But there are other ways you can save energy that are pretty easy that will save alot more than unplugging the base.
    Last edited by gabbott; 08-22-08 at 10:26 AM.
    08-22-08 10:22 AM
    Wow, 12 cents per kilowatt hour? My bill just got here yesterday. I used 27.x kilowatt hrs and it was $80. I wish it was just 12 cents per. That would be awesome.

You also have to factor in delivery charges for your electricity into your bill.
    08-22-08 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD