Im looking to gear up on accessories!
    06-26-09 05:51 PM
    Isn't the charging port the same for all Blackberry's? I wouldnt see a reason for them to change the charger for each Blackberry device but I have only seen a Verizon Curve and Pearl port.
    06-26-09 06:34 PM
    I don't know about the Pearl or Tour as mentioned above, but the Storm uses a microUSB connector, not a miniUSB like the Curves, etc. It's a real pisser cuz I'm waiting on a guy to return the cables and I can't find a microUSB data cable for less than 20 bucks. I broke down and bought a charger (could only find a car charger and will return next week) to keep it powered so I can play but I can't update the OS and I have to move my data card into a Curve to load any files on it.

It does look like it saves some space, as far as components go, but I thought we had finally reached a level of standardization...Sigh...
    06-26-09 06:43 PM
    I don't know about the Pearl or Tour as mentioned above, but the Storm uses a microUSB connector, not a miniUSB like the Curves, etc. It's a real pisser cuz I'm waiting on a guy to return the cables and I can't find a microUSB data cable for less than 20 bucks. I broke down and bought a charger (could only find a car charger and will return next week) to keep it powered so I can play but I can't update the OS and I have to move my data card into a Curve to load any files on it.

It does look like it saves some space, as far as components go, but I thought we had finally reached a level of standardization...Sigh...
    You can buy one of these adapters on Amazon for less than a buck, that turns a mini usb cable into a micro. Works great.

Amazon.com: Mot Mini-USB to Micro-USB Char: Cell Phones & Service
    06-26-09 06:46 PM
    The Tour uses the same charger as the Storm which is a real pain since most bluetooth headsets use the standard one so you either need to shell out money for the adapter or lug around two chargers. I'm pretty sure the battery is the same but I need to check.

Does anyone know why they switched to the micro usb?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-26-09 06:47 PM
    The Tour uses the same charger as the Storm which is a real pain since most bluetooth headsets use the standard one so you either need to shell out money for the adapter or lug around two chargers. I'm pretty sure the battery is the same but I need to check.

Because Micro is the newer technology. It has a smaller pin, which means the devices don't have to be so large to allow for the hole. It's the direction I believe most devices are headed. I bought a bluetooth headset recently, and it was micro. Had to buy an adapter like I just listed above.
    06-26-09 06:49 PM

That sounds like a bad move on their part. It makes a huge hassle for everyone it seems. I'm very disappointed to hear this but at least Ill get a charger with the Tour when I pick one up.
    06-26-09 06:49 PM
    Thanks MisterB, great info
    06-26-09 06:55 PM
    Thanks MisterB, great info
    Ditto

06-26-09 06:57 PM
    Ditto

You guys are welcome. Makes for an inexpensive solution.
    06-26-09 07:09 PM
    Just picked up 3
    06-26-09 07:37 PM
    BlackBerry is just following standards

the microUSB is the standard charging / periferal cable according to the OMTP
    OMTP - Open Mobile Terminal Platform

Also my Bluetooth uses Micro and I am noticing more and more are using it, so having a new device using it only makes sense, it will suck a little as I need to carry 2 cords as by Business card scanner needs miniUSB but over all I see no problems
    06-26-09 07:49 PM
    I had heard that they had agreed on a standard, I just figured it was miniUSB since its practically everywhere already. As much as a standard plug will help consumers, I guess they had to get one last blast of replacement hardware into the deal...
    06-26-09 07:57 PM
    When you look at the SLIM phones like the Razor and such it makes sense they picked the micro over mini as it is almost half as thick, as OLED screens become more common, phones will get thinner, and they will want a thinner plug, we just are at that turning point in time
    06-26-09 08:21 PM
    Just ordered 2
    06-26-09 08:41 PM
    You can buy one of these adapters on Amazon for less than a buck, that turns a mini usb cable into a micro. Works great.

Be careful of this, power only, no data. I know, I have 3 of them ....
    06-26-09 08:44 PM
    Be careful of this, power only, no data. I know, I have 3 of them ....
    That may be, but the Tour is going to come with a micro USB sync cable anyway, so these adapters would be for all of the other places that people need to charge their phone like the car, nightstand, etc.
    06-26-09 10:35 PM
    the mini to micro adaptor works great!
    06-27-09 12:06 AM

MicroUSB is newer slimmer and the current standard. And last I checked my Jawbone Prime has a proprietary charger, so I always have two anyway.

And yes microUSB is the new mobile standard, and the tour will have the same battery as the storm.
    06-27-09 12:37 AM
    Does anyone know if the which power station the tour will be compatible with? I'm thinking maybe the one made for the Bold. I need to be able to charge the phone and an extra battery at the same time.
    06-27-09 02:52 AM

These mini adapters will not transfer data! I bought one of these. It only provides charging current.

06-27-09 11:13 AM
    These mini adapters will not transfer data! I bought one of these. It only provides charging current.

Man, you need to learn to read. This was covered just a few posts above yours already.

Big deal. The Tour already comes with a data cable. These adapters make it so you don't have to throw out all your car chargers and other wall chargers just because things are switching from mini usb to micro.
    06-27-09 11:23 AM
    Does anyone know if the which power station the tour will be compatible with? I'm thinking maybe the one made for the Bold. I need to be able to charge the phone and an extra battery at the same time.
    I, too, am very interested in whether there will be a Power Station for the Tour.

I'm used to keeping my Curve 8330 on a BlackBerry-branded Power Station that I bought from CrackBerry awhile ago -- actually, I have one at home and one at work.

I can't imagine going to the Tour without a Power Station at each location. I guess I could use the little "docking" stands they have but it looks really unstable compared to the Power Station.

I have searched the web and I don't see anything about it mentioned anywhere except that one question above in this thread, and in another thread on this forum where they ask about a replacement for the phone cradle itself. I didn't know that was ever an option but if it works it seems good for me, though I assume the battery requires a different carry case also and that alone makes it unrealistic.

What I've seen on accessory sites is a flat charging case for the battery alone and I'm guessing we'll maybe never see a Power Station for the Tour, which would be a bummer, though life goes on.

I've been waiting for the Power Station to come out for the Tour before I buy it, but maybe I should forget about ever seeing it.

Does anyone know?
    07-20-09 02:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD