So I've using an epik resin from ebay for my 9700. It cost a grand total of 4 dollars. Works great, fits in oem holster, feels great, etc

I just got a otterbox commuter for $10...and I have to say....erm what? The silicon is nice and soft, and it seems great for protection....but the hard case isn't even hard - its floppy at best, seems brittle, and doesn't offer much protection.

Am I missing something here? Thoughts/comments? I def wouldn't pay 35 for this...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-10 07:40 PM
    Um yep, you're the only one
    10-16-10 08:38 PM
    Ignoring price, I think Otterboxes offer good value, especially Defender. However once you consider that it's just a silicone case with some thin plastic it's really nothing extra ordinary. I think it's a pretty good case, that is overpriced, but so are most of the establised brands. I give it a 8 out of 10.
    10-16-10 09:50 PM
    I thin the case effectiveness is based on the device. The commuter i had for my Torch was not what I expected, but it did offer some protection. The Commuter works great for 9700 and has proven its effectiveness a few times already. Honestly can't say anything about any of the Otters for other devices as I haven't tried them.
    10-16-10 09:55 PM
    I think that for most purposes commuter cases are somewhat iffy. I saw the one for the 9700 (I think) that had that thin flexible plastic layer. The torch has nice hard plastic, but that benefit is somewhat overshadowed by the mediocre front piece. Defender cases are the only otterbox cases I'll be getting in the future. I hope they have one for the PlayBook similar to the one they have for iPad.
    10-17-10 12:10 AM
    Interesting...I've been using the commuter for about a day, and I don't see /that/ much special about it. Sure, its nice and everything...but...:/

Doesn't fit in the 9700 holster. Does it fit in the 9000 one?
    10-17-10 05:02 PM
    Interesting...I've been using the commuter for about a day, and I don't see /that/ much special about it. Sure, its nice and everything...but...:/

Doesn't fit in the 9700 holster. Does it fit in the 9000 one?
    I have a 9650 in a commuter and a 9000 holster, it fits nicely, yeah it's a LITTLE snug but that's to be expected
    10-17-10 05:10 PM
    Thanks nozzles.

What's the best way to clean the silicon part? With my resin, i just wash it under water then wipe it off, but with the commuter, there's more dust and stuff. Should I just do the same thing?
    10-17-10 05:47 PM
    I just find them to be extremely pricey. In my 10+ years of owning a cellphone, I've only broken one, while slipping and falling, landing on my phone in my pocket. I like my standard BB slide pouch, mainly because it puts my phone on standby.
    10-19-10 04:42 PM
    For what they are, they are incredibly overpriced. Some molded silicone and soft rubber should not be $35+ bucks. But then again, many cases are overpriced. Quite honestly, the BB soft skins that you can get on Amazon for $2 apiece will handle almost anything you need it to. And to be honest, the Defender series is the most garish thing I've ever seen. A friend has one on his Tour and it is **** ugly. Might as well carry an old Zack Morris type phone. But to each his own.

Personally, I don't like the bigger (yes, to me the Commuter is a bigger case) cases and I don't want something that hides my phone and how good it looks. I got the Case-Mate Tough Hybrid (great and cheaper alternative to the Otterbox) for my 9650 but couldn't get used to the added size. I had a BB skin on my Curve 8330 previously.

I didn't want to totally cover up my phone with another skin, so I got the Incipio Feathercase, which is very similar to the CaseMate Barely There case. It's great; maintains stylish look, offers protection for the corners (in the event of a drop, which is the reason to get a case, not to protect it in case someone sits on it or something because nothing will help with that), and fits perfectly.

But again, to each his own. I just think there are as good of ways to protect your phone without paying $35 or $50 or more.
    10-19-10 10:28 PM
    Otterbox will replace damn near anything of theirs that you break, usually at no cost, from the posts I've seen. Good support is worth a few extra bucks. Their fit is impeccable, and my Commuter came with the best, easiest-to-apply screen protector I've ever used. Also, remember: the Commuter is a MID-level case. It's not meant to be a vault. That's what the Defender is for.

The Commuter is for the frequent traveler, but not necessarily for the field operative or the construction worker. The Impact is a silicone skin. The Commuter adds an extra layer of plastic for extra protection that will help absorb shock and protect the skin from tearing. The Defender is like a friggin' suit of body armor.

I only paid $25 for my Commuter on Amazon. All of these cases can be had for less than MSRP.

Find what's most comfortable for you. I cannot afford to replace my 9700 until I can upgrade, so a $25 investment in its safety is well worth it to me. It fits tightly in the 9700 holster, but *perfectly* in the 9000 holster. Different tastes, different people, different needs are why there is a good competitive market for accessories like this.
    Last edited by rrrebo; 10-20-10 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Added text.
    10-20-10 09:41 AM
    It all really depends on the person and their preference. I have seen some of the commuter cases, but I have been buying phone protection off eBay for years and they do the same job. I bought 2 cases that I absolute love all together for $15. One hard case and one silicon case. They both protect the phone just as much. The only reason I would pay that much for a case is if it was of better quality and protected my phone better. But I dont see any difference really. Nothing against commuter cases though.
    10-20-10 10:31 AM
    Otterbox cases are for people who pay $40 for HDMI cables and tend to drop their phones often.

Any cheap chinese snap-on or silicone case will work just fine. It doesn't take an advanced degree in physics to know why you're being gouged, or a degree in socioeconomics to see why Otterbox, Apple, and Monster Cable are all sitting high on the hog.
    10-20-10 09:39 PM
    I've had my Storm "naked" since I got it and it still looks great! (or at least as great as it did when I got it brand new). Frankly, I think cases, in general, are over-rated.
    10-20-10 09:44 PM
    I paid $26 for the defender on amazon for my 8530. The case has paid for itself many times. It saved me from having to get a new phone when my German Shepherd used it for a chew toy while I was sleeping.

Just bought the pink and white commuter case for the wife. Very nice and offers a good bit of protection. I wouldn't buy any other type of case. I know my device will be abused, either by my work enviorment, the little ones, or killer when he's bored and I'm sleeping.
    10-20-10 10:22 PM
    I have the Commuter for my 8530. My fiancee had the same for his 8530 and his case most definitely paid for itself. His phone was about to fall into a puddle of water one day while he was at work so he kicked it with steel toe boots, it hit a steel door and fell face down on concrete. Neither the case or phone had a scratch on it. If the phone was not in the commuter case it would have been killed either by the water, the steel toe boot, or the concrete. So our investment of $40 dollars in reality saved us from having to buy a brand new phone. A good investment? Yeah I think so!
    He now has the Defender case to prevent dust and dirt from work from getting into the keys and the screen. I am positive it is another good investment.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-10 10:41 PM
    Otterbox cases are for people who pay $40 for HDMI cables and tend to drop their phones often.

Any cheap chinese snap-on or silicone case will work just fine. It doesn't take an advanced degree in physics to know why you're being gouged, or a degree in socioeconomics to see why Otterbox, Apple, and Monster Cable are all sitting high on the hog.
    I don't own a Mac, iPhone, or iPad. (My wife has a 4thGen Nano)
    I don't buy Monster Cables.
    I paid @$6.00 for my HDMI cables.
    I don't drop my phone often at all.
    I still swear by my Otterbox as a worthy investment in peace-of-mind.

The price-to-performance ratio for Otterbox products is far more acceptable than these other gratuitous offenders you name. You sound a bit bitter...
    10-22-10 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD