I have about a half dozen motorola USB blade chargers that look identical to the one that came with my 8130. Can I safely use one of these as a back up charger at the various sites that I work at, or is it OEM only?

Thanks
    11-12-07 03:53 PM
    Absolutely, also same goes for the PC cables. I have used mine with an old Motorola car charger, as well as my old MotoQ charger.. i'm sure they're safe
    11-12-07 04:19 PM
    used mine with an old Motorola car charger, as well as my old MotoQ charger.. i'm sure they're safe

Too funny, it is the MotoQ chargers that I have extra off. Thanks for the info.
    11-12-07 04:34 PM
    actually... some usb chargers charge at a higher rate and there is a possibility of shortening the life of your battery...

-db

but its not dangerous if that is what you mean...
    11-12-07 04:36 PM
    Too funny, it is the MotoQ chargers that I have extra off. Thanks for the info.
    then you and i should have a little chat about coming from the MotoQ to this phone!
    11-12-07 04:37 PM
    hmm, maybe it speaks to an ill concieved notion of my priorities, but I am less concerned about danger than damaging my Pearl or battery. I wonder where I can find the tech info on the charges (going to look at charges...)

RE: MotoQ - great phone. I just happen to be a road runner customer and have only recently installed a security certificate on my exchange server at work, so sending email was a PITA.

I also tend to carry my phone in my pocket and the Treo/MotoQs were always a bit bulky to me.

With the Pearl I have the size/portability of a Razr with all the features (and more) of a regular size smartphone. It is a win-win situation for me. I can't believe I waited this long to get a BB.
    11-12-07 05:17 PM
    Quick follow up to yesterdays thread. I looked at both charges and while the voltage is exactly the same (5v dc) the amps are different. The BB OEM is .7ma and the Motorolas are .850ma. Not sure if the additional MA would damage the phone/battery...
    11-13-07 01:01 PM
    I have tried to use after market razor chargers that did not charge my pearl

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-07 08:15 PM
    The higher amps of the Motorola charger might damage the Pearl battery...Better not take a chance....
    11-14-07 03:09 AM
    It would be safe to use the computer cables though, as it is regulated from your computer, not the cable?
    11-14-07 09:27 AM
    It would be safe to use the computer cables though, as it is regulated from your computer, not the cable?
    Absolutely. It is just a mini-usb cable. The current comng over it would always be the same, regardless of manufacturer. I still keep a cheap sony usb camera cable in my bag as a spare and it has worked for about 12-13 different devices over the last five years without a hiccup.
    11-14-07 09:43 AM
    I still keep a cheap sony usb camera cable in my bag as a spare and it has worked for about 12-13 different devices over the last five years without a hiccup.
    Yep. I have gone through a few Sony cameras myself, and always keep the USB cord for Motos and BB's.
    11-14-07 09:47 AM
    I use aftermarket usb moto q charger, it does charge in my vehicle, the original moto q home charger will not, vice versa, blackberry after market vehicle usb charger will not charge moto q, nor will the blackberry home charger work on the Q
    11-27-07 10:09 AM
    They are not all the same. Some have different voltages. I work at Sprint and many of out usb chargers don't charge some phones b/c of voltage they put out.
    11-27-07 10:11 AM
    Is there a rule that you can follow re: charger compatibility? Assuming the VOLTAGE of two chargers are the same, which AMPERAGE is better to use: the charger that puts out less mA or the one that puts out more? I have a Bold right now that came with a 5V 700mA charger. I have two chargers from my Sprint-Nextel days, one puts out 5V 850mA, the other 5V 650 mA. Are both the Sprint-Nextel chargers safe to use, and is one better than the other?
    04-11-09 04:13 PM
    I have asked an electrical engineer these questions as well. The answer I was given: Less mA is typically better charging the battery, due to it taking longer to charge. As long as the voltage is the same, there should be no damage to the battery. I have been using a Moto car charger, and wall chargers when I am away from home with no problems yet.

Many people argue that the moto chargers will damage the phone or battery, but researching, I have yet to find any actual experiences where someones battery was damaged.
    04-11-09 08:28 PM
    I have asked an electrical engineer these questions as well. The answer I was given: Less mA is typically better charging the battery, due to it taking longer to charge. As long as the voltage is the same, there should be no damage to the battery. I have been using a Moto car charger, and wall chargers when I am away from home with no problems yet.

Many people argue that the moto chargers will damage the phone or battery, but researching, I have yet to find any actual experiences where someones battery was damaged.
    Thanks...I kind of figured that but didn't want to be messing with my BlackBerry's electrical before I got a good answer. Seems like that rule also applies to any electrical device too, which is very helpful.
    04-12-09 09:59 AM
    Have a spare Razr charger (550mA) and it works fine compared to the OEM BB charger (700mA) - output is also 5VDC for both. Interestingly enough, the OEM BB car charger only puts out 550mA as well. I would think that as long as you don't go over the Amperage rating for the OEM charger, you would be fine. I think they all pretty much put out the same voltage, but I always check to be sure what the ranges are. I e-mailed BB on this but haven't followed up by phone. I think we are fine.
    04-12-09 10:23 AM
    Almost all of the mini usb chargers use 5 V. The only thing you need to be careful of is the amperage (current). If the factory charger uses say 500 mA then you may use any charger that is 5V 500mA or above. The mA rating is basically telling you how much current the power supply is capable of providing. Your BB will try to pull the same amount of current no matter what power supply it is plugged into. It is basically the same thing as plugging a 60Watt lightbulb into a socket. If the socket is rated for 100W it will still only pull 60W. Don't plug it into a 50W socket or you could burn it up.

Does that make sense?

FYI- Don't sue me for trying to plug you BB into a light bulb socket...
    04-12-09 11:53 PM
    The OEM BB charger uses 700 mA? In that case, charging via a computer's USB port would not be the same, as computer USB 2.0 ports give 500 mA maximum (this is for devices like flash drives, portable external hard drives; low power devices such as wired mice use only 100 mA).
    I did notice that my BB battery drains VERY quickly (less than 1 day) if I charge it via computer's USB. Charging by the OEM wall adapter lasts me 2 days.
    04-13-09 12:36 AM
    That makes sense. You are depriving the BB of the current it is looking for. So I guess the rule of thumb should be "If it doesn't spontaniously burst into fire and ruin your BB and burn down your house, you can probably use it to charge your phone, but your results may vary."
    04-13-09 09:49 AM
    Almost all of the mini usb chargers use 5 V. The only thing you need to be careful of is the amperage (current). If the factory charger uses say 500 mA then you may use any charger that is 5V 500mA or above. The mA rating is basically telling you how much current the power supply is capable of providing. Your BB will try to pull the same amount of current no matter what power supply it is plugged into. It is basically the same thing as plugging a 60Watt lightbulb into a socket. If the socket is rated for 100W it will still only pull 60W. Don't plug it into a 50W socket or you could burn it up.

Does that make sense?

FYI- Don't sue me for trying to plug you BB into a light bulb socket...
    So it sounds like you and J_Mod45 have the exact same suggstion. You say that you can use any charger that provides mA equal to or greater than the factory charger, but he says equal to or less than is better. Both of you provide good explanations, so I'm still confused. Can anybody figure this out?
    04-13-09 03:50 PM
    The higher mA will give a faster charge till the battery reaches a certain peak voltage-- when that level is reached --it will throttle back pulling less current till it reaches its max voltage. Also alot of devices have a voltage check on them-- once they hit their limit -- the charging circuit is closed off -- till the battery voltage drops below the threshold set.. Thats why -- if you notice when you plug your BB-- has like a plug icon beside the battery while charging--once fully charged to that preset level -- the little plug icon will go away even tho you are still plugged in.
    04-13-09 07:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD