I've been trying to make a "AA" battery charger for my Storm for when I travel or am camping for more than a day. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get anything to work. The charging indicator will light up for 5-10 seconds and then turn off.

I used boost regulators from one "AA" battery and two "AA" batteries. The two battery unit successfully charges my iPod without issue.

I then went to a four "AA" set up without a regulator (rechargeable so 1.2V each). My last setup is to use my desktop regulated power supply to provide exactly 5VDC to pin 1 and the return to pin 5 of the micro-USB connector.

BTW, the phone charges fine with the wall & car charger. Anybody have any ideas?
    04-05-09 10:21 AM
    Sorry, to bump my own thread but I still can't figure it out and I'm leaving in a few days. Anybody have any knowledge of the charging system on a Blackberry?
    04-08-09 01:33 PM
    im sure there is one. just have to look around

google.com :]
    04-08-09 02:00 PM
    what your doing seems right.. 5 V should be enough unless you have a lot of resistance in your setup due to heating after plugging it in for a couple seconds and hence why it works for 10 seconds. trying bumping up the voltage .. there is also a current threshold.

also stupid idea but try switching polarity?
    04-08-09 02:03 PM
    The problem is you need to bump up the amps. Try alkaline battery they pack more amps.
    04-08-09 02:11 PM
    what your doing seems right.. 5 V should be enough unless you have a lot of resistance in your setup due to heating after plugging it in for a couple seconds and hence why it works for 10 seconds. trying bumping up the voltage .. there is also a current threshold.

also stupid idea but try switching polarity?
    I use the same kensignton I have used for years it works fine but is just as slow as my wall charger

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-08-09 03:09 PM
    Brookstone sells something for extra power. Not sure of the name.
    04-08-09 03:16 PM
    I actually bought this one, (actually bought 2 - one for my brother). Says it is compatible with the Storm. I was excited to try it, but neither worked. Couldn't get any charge out of it to my Storm whatsoever. I tried several sets of different batteries. I sent them back and got a credit. YMMV.

BlackBerry Storm AA Battery Booster : (5 Star Rating) Google Checkout available.
    04-08-09 04:28 PM
    Energizer also makes one that uses (2) AA batteries. But the batteries need to be new for it to charge. It works good in a pinch.
    04-08-09 04:31 PM
    Energizer also makes one that uses (2) AA batteries. But the batteries need to be new for it to charge. It works good in a pinch.
    Do you have a link to the energizer model?
    04-08-09 04:33 PM
    Gomadic makes one that runs on 4 AA batteries. Check on Amazon or Let me google that for you
    04-08-09 05:04 PM
    05-11-09 01:44 PM
    Says they have a mini-usb. Doesn't the Storm have a micro-usb?
    05-11-09 01:51 PM
    you can always check ebay or amazon
    05-11-09 04:11 PM
    05-11-09 05:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD