Swithing to 8900 from WinMo. Whole slew of old mini USB chargers which i am unlikely to buy converter tips for.

Anyway-
    Are the cheapo USB (meritline dot com) wall and car chargers in to which you can plug a mini or micro usb cable safe for my new BB8900?

How many milliamps does this phone require to charge? I ask b/c my old 500mA BB7100 chargers did not have enough juice to charge my WinMo Moto Q, which required 750mA.

Do the more expensive chargers claiming to have an IC chip which go to standby once battery is charged really work?

Any help appreciated.
    03-26-09 12:16 PM
    If the current on a charging source is lower than the current on the charger that comes with then phone then this means the lower current charger will take longer to charge the phone. As long as the voltage is the same, the charger will work. With that said, the charger that comes with the 8900 puts out 700 mA of current.
    03-26-09 01:03 PM
    Thanks Aristile.

Any hesitation to use a cheapo from Metirline? Most list 1000mA. I want to get a few of them.
    Last edited by uga5; 03-26-09 at 01:14 PM.
    03-26-09 01:07 PM
    The thing to keep in mind is that the Voltage is important when it comes to charging batteries and you have to make sure that stays constant. On average, more cheap chargers will have problems where the voltage fluctuates in one direction or the other. If this happens (especially if the voltage increases) it will likely kill or at least damage your battery. So you kinda get what you pay for an need to be careful with chargers.

Personally I just use the Blackberry Charger along with the charging cradle and I charge my phone every night. Any other time I use a USB cable to charge on my laptop. I did purchase 2 Micro-USB to Mini-USB adapters to use on existing chargers that I already had. One is an extra 8310 charger that I had and the other is for a car charger I have. The extra 8310 charger is for my laptop bag when I have to travel. I have not had to use either yet other than testing the adapters after I purchased them. The charging cradle really is great and recommend it.
    03-26-09 01:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD