Ok, I've googled for hours and I can't seem to find a charging cradle for my 8830 like the one I have for my Curve. I like that I can just drop my curve in for a charge. I see the little gold contacts on the left side below the USB port that makes me believe that there is the potential for a cradle type charger. If these aren't for a charger, can someone tell me what they're for? If they are for a charging cradle, can someone point me in the right direction?
    08-19-09 12:32 PM
    The gold contacts are for a special cable that runs directly into the cerebral cortex for direct thought transferrance.

Ok. I don't know what they're for either.

BTW, I would not want any charging cradle that relied on "touch" contact. Simply jiggling the phone could mean it fails to get a charge. I charge mine by plugging in a mini-usb on my nightstand. To me a "cradle" could simply be a small business card holder since I want to make sure the connection is made and I actually see the green led start flashing when I put my phone on charge. The 8830 has such excellent battery life, it's no big deal to miss charging one night, but a shoddy cradle is still something I don't want to deal with.
    Last edited by r0k; 08-19-09 at 01:01 PM.
    08-19-09 12:58 PM
    I was wanting the cradle option because my 8830 is a work issued device that doubles as a pager. When I'm at my desk I'd like to drop it in the charger to keep it topped off. I'm in and out of my office quite a bit during the day and I just think it would be more convenient to just drop it in instead of having to find the USB cable to hook it up. I guess I'm just lazy that way.
    08-19-09 01:09 PM
    I saw someone on ebay that had some sort of dock for this device. Their device charger port didn't work so they used this instead.
    08-19-09 01:16 PM
    Here are a couple of images I found on ebay. Both use the mini-usb...
    08-19-09 01:47 PM
    Yeah, I looked on ebay and saw those too. I may end up going with something like the one with the fixed plug (photo on the right) where you sort of slide it into place. They're here on crackberry too if I remember right. It's not drop in, but i guess it'll do. Or I may just stick with my USB cable i'm using now.

I'd still like to know what the contact points are for.
    08-19-09 01:58 PM
    I think the contact points are for this beast...

http://shop.crackberry.com/blackberr...medium=content
    08-20-09 02:08 PM
    Good catch. I hadn't seen that one. It's a bit too pricey for me to get for using here at work. I guess I'll just have to keep overcoming the laziness and continue using the USB cable.
    08-20-09 02:26 PM
    I think the contact points are for this beast...

http://shop.crackberry.com/blackberr...medium=content
    So those contacts are for charging...

Good catch. I hadn't seen that one. It's a bit too pricey for me to get for using here at work. I guess I'll just have to keep overcoming the laziness and continue using the USB cable.
    Steer clear. As I suspected, one of the reviewers confirms that the contacts don't always work...

Cons: Charging contacts do not always touch my 8830 correctly, leaving me with an uncharged battery.
    when I place my phone in the cradle, the metal charging contacts on the side of the cradle do not always touch my phone just right. Leaving me with an uncharged phone. Unless I tinker around with it, it will not stay charging, leaving you quite disappointed after you leave it charging for an hour or so just to find you still have a dead battery. Thats when having 2 batteries comes in handy
    Of course with the battery life of the 8830, with my usage pattern skipping a day or two of charging simply means I'm ending the day at 50-70% instead of 80-90%.
    08-20-09 03:06 PM
    get the one from amazon.com...

Amazon.com: Fosmon's Blackberry 8800 / 8830 USB Sync Charge Desktop Docking Cradle with Second Battery Charging Slot: Cell Phones & Service

i have it and its just like the one i had for my motorola q...no need for a flimsy cord...it has a usb thing built right in to the cradle that allows u to charge and sync... i keep one at my desk and one by my bed....
    08-20-09 11:03 PM
    i just throw mine on the floor while its charging...
    08-20-09 11:14 PM
    I will say... that is one reason I am sticking with my 8830 for now. The battery lasts FOREVER. I hear that the Tour is not as fortunate.

So those contacts are for charging...

Steer clear. As I suspected, one of the reviewers confirms that the contacts don't always work...

Of course with the battery life of the 8830, with my usage pattern skipping a day or two of charging simply means I'm ending the day at 50-70% instead of 80-90%.
    08-21-09 09:18 AM
    Shame the terminals with a cradle/dock charger are problematic, as constant use of the USB port, DEFINITELY makes it go south. Been there with killing USB ports on the 8830.

Sadly I use an Otterbox, so I'm sorta condemned to using the USB to charge and knowing it will eventually fail. I'm just moreso careful nowdays.
    08-23-09 01:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD