10-10-09 12:15 AM
41 12
tools
    I have an otterbox case for my 8350i, I love the case other than the echo problem. Turning down the volume and unplugging the side plug seems to reduce the issue but sometimes reducing the volume isn't an option in a loud working environment. Does anyone out there NOT have this problem?
    Does anyone else have any more tricks to reduce or eliminate this issue??
    02-04-09 08:39 PM
    the phone itself seems to have an audio problem. the cases may worsen the problem but its not the cause.
    02-04-09 08:49 PM
    well I don't think it is my phone. When I take the case off the echo issue isn't there.
    02-04-09 09:22 PM
    Agreed, I have to do all my important calls on speakerphone with the case on... it's the only way to get around it without driving the other end insane. Hard of hearing, so turning it down isn't an option for me. The trade off, protection vs echo.
    02-04-09 10:31 PM
    See my response to the Cases thread in this topic.
    02-04-09 10:43 PM
    I also have an echo problem with the Otterbox for my curve. Otterbox told me that the problem occurs because my microphone isn't lined up in the case correctly. I should remove phone from the case, let it rest a few minutes, and then replace it. Sounded crazy ... and it was. There's still an echo. Don't buy the Otterbox case!!!
    02-07-09 01:37 PM
    The problem is that for some reason the earpiece audio is picked up by the mic. I experimented with mine and cut the area arond the mic hole and made it larger still had the echo. The Blackberry skins do it too. Some people have the echo problem with no case or skin attached. It may be more prevalent with the case but the issue exists without it on some phones. That is the echo problem that Sprint refers to in their release. So if you have the case don't throw it out wait for their fix then check it again.
    02-07-09 03:20 PM
    I've experimented with the case on and off several times; I only get an echo when I use the Otterbox case.
    02-07-09 05:16 PM
    I've experimented with the case on and off several times; I only get an echo when I use the Otterbox case.
    I drilled a 1/2 inch opening over the mic port and have never had a problem on my 8330 since.
    02-08-09 05:56 PM
    I'm not really sure how drilling a hole where the microphone port is helps! My complaint is not my voice echoing, it's the individual that I'm talking too. They hear themselves echoing while talking to me!

I have an otter box case just sitting on a shelve, getting no use, because everyone I talk to complains about the echo!

Matt
    02-08-09 06:42 PM
    I'm not really sure how drilling a hole where the microphone port is helps! My complaint is not my voice echoing, it's the individual that I'm talking too. They hear themselves echoing while talking to me!

I have an otter box case just sitting on a shelve, getting no use, because everyone I talk to complains about the echo!

Matt
    Sorry I misunderstood Matt,

That is very strange. Anytime I have heard of somebody hearing an echo, it is because the volume in their speaker is too loud and their microphone picks it up. I had people saying that I was hollow sounding and a bit of an echo when I talked to them and found that it was because the opening over the microphone on the curve was slightly off centre and creating a bit of a tunnel effect. Drilling the hole open gave me the normal mic opening again and eliminating the hollow and echo they said they were hearing from me.

Sorry I couldn't help further.

Mike
    02-08-09 06:55 PM
    Thanks Mike.........
    02-08-09 08:36 PM
    can i borrow that drill? j/k
    i dont really like the box shell cause i prefer to have the clip in - out holster. no echo problem but i can hear how hollow this phone is. its like if listen hard enough i can tell the cpu speed!
    02-08-09 08:52 PM
    I think you need to get the software patch for the know phone echo before passing judgment on the case. Wait on buying if if you haven't then see what otterbox owners say after the patch.
    02-08-09 10:08 PM
    I talked with the techs at OtterBox today and they have tested several other cases and they all have some type of audio issue at upper volume levels. The tech said to hold out for a software/hardware update. Mark
    02-09-09 11:26 PM
    I know what you said about drilling the hole in the Otterbox ... but we did anyway and it worked! No more echo!
    02-10-09 05:50 PM
    I know what you said about drilling the hole in the Otterbox ... but we did anyway and it worked! No more echo!
    If you mean you drilled a hole over the mic port, maybe Otterbox might have to start paying me royalties for figuring out the fix for this problem

Mike
    02-10-09 06:09 PM
    Yes, we drilled the hole over the microphone. I know my phone callers and I certainly think you deserve a portion of the royalties ... or maybe they should put out a "Mike's Signature Series" Otterbox!
    02-10-09 06:25 PM
    hey jump on that right now! every buck counts!
    02-10-09 07:19 PM
    At work now, just drilled hole in case, made one call and no echo. Made another and very bad echo. The second was to another bb, hmmmmmmmm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 12:12 PM
    Yes, we drilled the hole over the microphone. I know my phone callers and I certainly think you deserve a portion of the royalties ... or maybe they should put out a "Mike's Signature Series" Otterbox!
    can someone post a pic of the hole that actually fixed the echo...I wouldn`t want to drill in the wrong place!!
    02-11-09 12:49 PM
    yeah posting a picture of the hole would be awesome. 1/2 inch over the mic area, bu did you center it or put it towards the middle.
    Last edited by DAnderson91; 02-13-09 at 04:32 PM.
    02-13-09 03:58 PM
    I had the same problem with the rubber case I bought at the Sprint store for my Curvbe 83501i - as soon as I put it on, people I spoke to complained about an echo to the point that I couldn't have a conversation. As soon as I took the case off, the problem went away. I ended up buying a "hard plastic" case, and this seems to work just fine. Pretty crazy, since the rubberized case from Nextel was $19., and the hard-plastic case from crackberry was $9.99.
    02-13-09 04:23 PM
    well i centered a 1/4 hole and it didn't work and tried the 1/2 centered and it did not work either. DO NOT DO IT. It has to do with the mic picking up the speaker. Now I have a big hole in my case. Will be throwing this otter box case away. Seems like everything with this 8350i is a hassle. I'm giving this damn phone back. This echo **** is ridiculous.
    02-13-09 05:06 PM
    Update for Case #31751 - "echo"

There is a known issue with the device and OtterBox tested numerous cases on the market and found there to be an echo in all of them. We believe that the device manufacturer is working on a software solution that corrects the echo issue. From what we hear this will happen in the next month or so. We suggest lowering the volume to 6 or lower to reduce the echo. Certainly we will accept returns of these cases if you choose, as long as you got the case from us, but we do believe that the issue is in the device. Please email me if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank you,

Natasha Meggenberg

I found if you are unable to hear the person correctly you must put the person on speakerphone and turn it down to get the higher volume needed. This does make you louder as well....... So there is no fix until RIM makes an update for it.
    02-13-09 08:34 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD