My 8830 came with a 700mA charger. I use this for regular recharging at home. I have an 850mA charger, that came with my Moto Q, that I would like to use while traveling, to avoid buying a new RIM charger.

Anyone see problems with this? I suppose that I could jsut use the USB port on my laptop. But, if that will be OK - the 850mA should be too... right?
    01-16-09 12:06 PM
    Short term you be okay, but if you plan to use the MOTO charge a lot, your better off getting an BB charger.

Using a charger with higher amps will overheat the battery, which will affect battery life. In addition, it may charge too fast resulting in the battery not actually being fully charged. You should also compare the voltage to the BB charger/battery, and this will affect the battery charge as well.
    01-16-09 12:09 PM
    I will only use for business travel, so it would only be a day or two per week... for a couple weeks each month.

Both the RIM and MOTO chargers are 5V, with the RIM being 700mA and the MOTO being 850mA.
    01-16-09 12:19 PM
    I've been using my old RAZR charger which is also 850mA, and I've had no issues. In fact, I've never even used the charger that came with my BB; it's still in the box.

I don't think you'll damage the battery, it will probaby charge faster with the higher output.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 12:54 PM
    You will be fine with the Motorola charger. The fast that it has a higher capacity is a good thing. You will get charging just as fast as the phone can charge but there is no danger of overheatong or overcharging because the phone has a circuit to limit the amount of current that it can take. It will also manage the incomeing current and switch off the chaging when the battery is fully charged.
    01-16-09 01:01 PM
    Thanks guys - that was the answer I was hoping for

I appreciate the sanity check!!!
    01-16-09 01:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD