03-06-12 01:10 PM
27 12
tools
    So my other half works on construction sites and has been having a hard time keeping his blackberries (9700s) lately! He lost one that fell down a pipe to 10 feet underground, He dropped one from 2 stories up and it shattered, and now his latest thing is he was working with metal and tiny little metal shards all got sucked into his 9700 (magnetic) in the speaker(?) hole on the back between the cameras and fried his screen!
    Soooo I am going to go out and buy him a new 9900 today, And I was going to get an otterbox for it to protect it froms falls etc. My new concern however is the meatl getting into the phone. Is there a better case option that will block the holes on the phone?

Thanks!
    LMG1963 likes this.
    03-01-12 12:22 PM
    Best case Otterbox Defender, if you want the speakers plugged I don't think there is any case doing that...
    03-01-12 12:27 PM
    IMO - The best case out there is the Otterbox Commuter. Not the Defender...that's been proven to actually scratch the 9900.
    I might suggest a waterproof case. Looks like a bag. Pain in the neck for him to have to do that, but I can't think of any other way to keep tiny metal shards from getting into the speaker slot.
    03-01-12 12:28 PM
    Otterbox has hole covers.

I use the Commuter. I like it, The Defender has a Habit of scratching people's phones.
    03-01-12 12:28 PM
    The new defender case have a foam inside to keep it from scratching the phone
    03-01-12 12:29 PM
    The new defender case have a foam inside to keep it from scratching the phone
    Oh yes but the foam slips.
    There have been instances of folks on the forums who have received replacements and they've ended up with the foam slipping.
    03-01-12 12:33 PM
    But if you want the belt clip (like I wanted) I had to use the defender
    03-01-12 12:37 PM
    If I do get the otterbox, Is there a screen cover for 9900 that protects the keyboard?
    Last edited by noangelx; 03-01-12 at 12:54 PM.
    03-01-12 12:40 PM
    Not anymore. There are no more keyboard covers.

In his situation, may I suggest an Otterbox Commuter. Then, in those instances where he will be working with metal and there exists a possibility for metal shards, place the phone in this case.

http://shop.crackberry.com/overboard...medium=content

Not ideal, but his situation is a bit unique.

If not, perhaps there is another case that plugs all holes.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 03-01-12 at 12:53 PM.
    03-01-12 12:50 PM
    Not anymore.
    There was a keyboard covering screen cover once!?
    03-01-12 12:52 PM
    There was a keyboard covering screen cover once!?
    YES!!!! Eons and eons ago. I remember being on deployment and seeing an OLD phone with a membrane that covered the keys.
    03-01-12 12:55 PM
    YES!!!! Eons and eons ago. I remember being on deployment and seeing an OLD phone with a membrane that covered the keys.
    Ohh. I thought you meant on the 9930 commuter. Lol.
    03-01-12 01:02 PM
    The older Otterboxes had both a keyboard membrane and a fabric covering the speakers and microphone ports. Not anymore. I did just get the Defender for my brand new 9930 and had an old keyboard membrane from my Tour. It is not an exact fit but works fine. The Defender does have a screen protector.
    03-01-12 01:23 PM
    If I do get the otterbox, Is there a screen cover for 9900 that protects the keyboard?
    The Defender for sure!! As for keyboard protection.....I ended up doing this by accident on my 9650. Since then I've done three or four 9900/30 for people. It wouldnt have prevented any of the mis-haps you mentioned, but it's better than nothing.

Before I got my Deffender I needed a way to protect my screen from my earrings. Anywho, I picked up a "Zagg" screen protector my phone. Those things are way too expensive, like $15.00ea. Anyway, I had to have two phones replaced...so was $30 in on protectors...not sure why I didn't make Verizon replace those?? OK, let me get to the point.

On my last trip to buy a Zagg I see a Droid shield on clearance for like $5. WTH I'll just trim it out for my BBerry screen. Let's just say I took the wrong route in putting it on. The next thing I know the shield is on my home key, trackpad, etc. Frick it, I just went on down the keypad. So now my whole phone is covered with a shield, plus the defender.

The 9900 Bold folks tell me their touchscreen works fine. One of the guys (9930) works at an autobody shop, he was looking to keep his phone dust free. So, far so good.

--What I HAVE NOT done is to try and remove the shield. So I dont know what comes off with it (key decals/paint) when you take it off.
    --Someone on another board asked if it voided the warranty. I have no idead...
    --No it doesn't make the phone waterproof, but it keeps the sweat out.

03-01-12 01:34 PM
    buy a full body skin from

iPad Skins, iPhone Covers, MacBook Screen Protectors, Blackberry Screen Covers | Best Skins Ever

then get the otterbox defender...

problem solved!
    03-01-12 03:14 PM
    Another case to look into is the seidio convert. Seems pretty rugged and even has a camera lens and flash cover and a locking beltclip.

Just another idea.

I have a defender coming in but I also have a zagg covering the chin where the defenders had a tendency of scratching so I have no worries.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    03-01-12 03:57 PM
    The Defender for sure!! As for keyboard protection.....I ended up doing this by accident on my 9650. Since then I've done three or four 9900/30 for people. It wouldnt have prevented any of the mis-haps you mentioned, but it's better than nothing.

Before I got my Deffender I needed a way to protect my screen from my earrings. Anywho, I picked up a "Zagg" screen protector my phone. Those things are way too expensive, like $15.00ea. Anyway, I had to have two phones replaced...so was $30 in on protectors...not sure why I didn't make Verizon replace those?? OK, let me get to the point.

On my last trip to buy a Zagg I see a Droid shield on clearance for like $5. WTH I'll just trim it out for my BBerry screen. Let's just say I took the wrong route in putting it on. The next thing I know the shield is on my home key, trackpad, etc. Frick it, I just went on down the keypad. So now my whole phone is covered with a shield, plus the defender.

The 9900 Bold folks tell me their touchscreen works fine. One of the guys (9930) works at an autobody shop, he was looking to keep his phone dust free. So, far so good.

--What I HAVE NOT done is to try and remove the shield. So I dont know what comes off with it (key decals/paint) when you take it off.
    --Someone on another board asked if it voided the warranty. I have no idead...
    --No it doesn't make the phone waterproof, but it keeps the sweat out.

Let me understand - so you accidently applied the "sticky" skin over the keyboard? And it works?

The clear membrane I'm using from the Tour kind of fits. It is a rather thin vinyl but with embossing for the keys although not the 9930's keys but it's not bad. It wraps around like a diaper. Covers the keypad and a bit on either side and along the bottom but has three "flanges" two wrap around either side and overlap while the bottom also wraps and overlaps the other two. Vinyl adhesion keeps them sticking to each other. There's a hole where the trackball/pad is located.

Here's a shot of an older, worn out one:
    03-01-12 10:24 PM
    Actually I use the Defender because I drop my phone alot. ya ya...anyways, I was concerned about the "scratches" that folks were talking about on the cell from the cover and sure enough when I pulled the Defender off there they were. Then I noticed that I could rub most of the scratches off. Worked a little harder at it and discovered they were not scratches but dirt and it all came off. Good as new.

Also, I am not to bugged if it does scratch it anyways because I don't take the cover off, and I will probably buy a new BB before it is ever removed from the cover, for whatever reason, anyways.
    03-01-12 11:09 PM
    I use my defender daily for work(demolition/hazmat removal), and it gets its share of abuse, but when i dress it up in hello kitty for the weekend it's mint...no scratches..i can see the foam bit inside the defender case slowly migrating, but i figure it'll be easy to mickey mouse something if i need to anyway
    03-01-12 11:15 PM
    I use my defender daily for work(demolition/hazmat removal), and it gets its share of abuse, but when i dress it up in hello kitty for the weekend it's mint...no scratches..i can see the foam bit inside the defender case slowly migrating, but i figure it'll be easy to mickey mouse something if i need to anyway
    I think the keyboard protector I pictured would prevent the scratching you folks are talking about but I don't think I noticed any foam. Maybe I got an older one - got it at the Verizon store this week but they don't even have the 9930 in display!
    03-02-12 12:51 AM
    I got him the Otter Box Defender, It seems pretty tough! The only thing is I am not a fan of how the keyboard is unprotected. The screen still has the clear sticker on it that came with it. (I will get a better one soon)
    03-05-12 06:58 PM
    So my other half works on construction sites and has been having a hard time keeping his blackberries (9700s) lately! He lost one that fell down a pipe to 10 feet underground, He dropped one from 2 stories up and it shattered, and now his latest thing is he was working with metal and tiny little metal shards all got sucked into his 9700 (magnetic) in the speaker(?) hole on the back between the cameras and fried his screen!
    Soooo I am going to go out and buy him a new 9900 today, And I was going to get an otterbox for it to protect it froms falls etc. My new concern however is the meatl getting into the phone. Is there a better case option that will block the holes on the phone?

Thanks!
    Kundy and Husky both makes a good utility pockets which hang from a belt. Once you have a dust cover sorted I suggest using those to secure the phone from falling. They are also great for keeping a tape, pencils and misc small tools handy.
    03-05-12 08:09 PM
    Oh yes but the foam slips.
    There have been instances of folks on the forums who have received replacements and they've ended up with the foam slipping.
    Not here... I got a replacement part with the foam and so far no issues what so ever. Otterbox Defender also has one of the best customer service that I have ever run in to.I recommend this case for construction works.
    03-05-12 09:37 PM
    I must have gotten an older one from Verizon store since it does NOT have any foam on the top or bottom parts. I may contact Otterbox and inquire.
    03-06-12 12:49 AM
    The new otterbox defender is RBB2-9900S-20-E4OTR_B ..i believe the original was the same except for the _B ..besides the foam, the magnet in the holster is darn near flush, not raised
    03-06-12 01:23 AM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD