07-14-11 08:55 PM
46 12
tools
    Can i purchase and download a movie from iTunes or amazon, remove the DRM and convert format so I can watch on Torch?
    05-15-11 03:46 PM
    Is It Legal To Cross The Street Outside Of The Crosswalk, Even Though There Are No Cars Around For Miles?
    Probably Not. But Who Is Gonna Know?

i-Tunes Can Get Hit By A Bus...lol
    Last edited by Ether2105; 05-15-11 at 05:13 PM.
    05-15-11 05:10 PM
    Removing the DRM is likely a violation of the software EULA that you agreed to when you purchased a license for the movie. You agreed to the licensing terms.

Are you going to end up in jail? Not likely.

Is it still a violation? Yes.
    marcho11 likes this.
    05-15-11 05:26 PM
    I agree with with Ether. I have an iPhone too and never buy anything off of i-Tunes.
    05-15-11 05:28 PM
    Buy it and then torrent it.
    Just don't distribute it.
    Easy. No laws broken.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-18-11 07:59 AM
    Torrenting it, is distributing it.. :/

But.. I'm all about freeing media from the hands of BIG media...

"It's only illegal if you get caught"
    05-19-11 04:38 AM
    Is It Legal To Cross The Street Outside Of The Crosswalk, Even Though There Are No Cars Around For Miles?
    Probably Not. But Who Is Gonna Know?

i-Tunes Can Get Hit By A Bus...lol
    I like that
    05-19-11 05:08 AM
    Isn't it only if you steal it?
    I mean you DID buy it.

05-19-11 07:39 AM
    If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?
    05-20-11 03:25 PM
    You either pay for it or steal it. Or you can pay for it and still steal it. Just decide what you are going to do.do it and do not ask about the morality of it on a forum. Everybody old enough knows right from wrong.Make a decision and stick to it.
    06-03-11 12:02 AM
    You either pay for it or steal it. Or you can pay for it and still steal it. Just decide what you are going to do.do it and do not ask about the morality of it on a forum. Everybody old enough knows right from wrong.Make a decision and stick to it.
    JEEZ, sorry DAD. I was just asking a question. Didn't mean to offend you and ruin your forum. I'll be sure to run my questions passed you next time before I post. That way I won't upset you.

I do, however, truly appreciate the morality lesson.. I know that I'm a much better person having read your response. In fact I think I'll print it out and carry it in my wallet as a daily reminder.
    06-03-11 10:14 AM
    JEEZ, sorry DAD. I was just asking a question. Didn't mean to offend you and ruin your forum. I'll be sure to run my questions passed you next time before I post. That way I won't upset you.

I do, however, truly appreciate the morality lesson.. I know that I'm a much better person having read your response. In fact I think I'll print it out and carry it in my wallet as a daily reminder.
    Grow up.
    06-03-11 11:58 AM
    Grow up.
    Wow, I actually thanked you for your response because you answered my original question.
    06-03-11 03:35 PM
    Deep breaths people!
    06-03-11 04:01 PM
    J .C. Watts:
    Everyone tries to define this thing called Character. It's not hard. Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking.

Lord John Whorfin:
    History is made at night. Character is what you are in the dark.

Thomas B. Macaulay:
    The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.
    06-06-11 06:57 AM
    J .C. Watts:
    Everyone tries to define this thing called Character. It's not hard. Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking.

Lord John Whorfin:
    History is made at night. Character is what you are in the dark.

Thomas B. Macaulay:
    The measure of a man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.
    Great quotes.

All of which are the foundation of the reason that I originally asked the question... Is it legal if I purchase then remove DRM?

I had a 6 hour flight and wanted to watch some movies. Your original answer, without innuendo or sarcasm, was the one that answered my question.

So again, thanks.
    06-06-11 10:32 AM
    It's a violation of the EULA even if other people don't think that it is. Period.
    06-06-11 06:40 PM

Now THAT'S funny!
    06-14-11 09:16 AM
    Great quotes.

All of which are the foundation of the reason that I originally asked the question... Is it legal if I purchase then remove DRM?

I had a 6 hour flight and wanted to watch some movies. Your original answer, without innuendo or sarcasm, was the one that answered my question.

So again, thanks.
    I have to know, if this is the case then why did you ask? Why do you think they put DRM on the file? To keep you from doing just what your asking about. People don't put deadbolts on their doors so you would come around and bash in their door and enter their home and do what you like.
    That being said I would you to know I'm not being sarcastic I don't think the title was the true question. I think the answer that you was looking was, yes it can be done. We can't talk about how to do it so......Of course its illegal.
    I'm from the school of thought that when you buy a file it is your right to beable to use it in any device that you can as long as its personal use. Media companies sorta agree w/ me. I say that because some dvds and blue rays come with a data version you can put on your devices. Itunes music use to all have drm and a work around was to burn a cd with itunes and itunes would remove the drm burning it to disc. We started burning virtual disc and it worked the same way. Now you had drm free music. So now itunes has mp3 un drmed music. Its a very touchy subject. I personually think that no crime has been commited until you try to sell or publicly cast the file
    All these quato and such is file. Having morals is great also.. But being a man and being great and being a great man is 3 different things. A great man goes what's right. No matter how wrong it is. Remember Jesus had the right to stone the woman who had committed adultry. He didn't pick up the 1st rock.

07-08-11 11:37 PM
    I have to know, if this is the case then why did you ask? Why do you think they put DRM on the file? To keep you from doing just what your asking about. People don't put deadbolts on their doors so you would come around and bash in their door and enter their home and do what you like.
    That being said I would you to know I'm not being sarcastic I don't think the title was the true question. I think the answer that you was looking was, yes it can be done. We can't talk about how to do it so......Of course its illegal.
    I'm from the school of thought that when you buy a file it is your right to beable to use it in any device that you can as long as its personal use. Media companies sorta agree w/ me. I say that because some dvds and blue rays come with a data version you can put on your devices. Itunes music use to all have drm and a work around was to burn a cd with itunes and itunes would remove the drm burning it to disc. We started burning virtual disc and it worked the same way. Now you had drm free music. So now itunes has mp3 un drmed music. Its a very touchy subject. I personually think that no crime has been commited until you try to sell or publicly cast the file
    All these quato and such is file. Having morals is great also.. But being a man and being great and being a great man is 3 different things. A great man goes what's right. No matter how wrong it is. Remember Jesus had the right to stone the woman who had committed adultry. He didn't pick up the 1st rock.

I agree completely!

07-09-11 12:42 AM
    I've learned that anything that starts as "Is it legal if..." is probably prima facie illegal. No, you do not have legal authority to remove the DRM. However, no one is stopping you. You have an argument that you paid for the content and YOU and only YOU are trying to enjoy the content. Just don't start selling or distributing the content.

07-09-11 12:43 AM

Ok, so here is the story. I had to go on a long trip, and I don't care for flying all that much. I was talking to my brother about it and he said to rent a couple of movies and watch them during the flight. He has an iphone so he watches movies on it all the time. I thought it was a great idea.

I later found out that, as a BB owner, neither itunes nor amazon rentals work on BB's. So I figured that if I buy a movie I'd have the right to watch it on whatever device I choose; but as I looked into the purchase I found out about this whole DRM thing and that you still cannot watch the movie on BB. I then found all of the DRM removal software online and it made me wonder if it was legal to remove the DRM. This was the point that I posted the question.

So in reply to our belief that I was hoping for somebody to tell me how, you misinterpreted my post. I'd already found how to do it before I posted the question; I knew it can be done, I just, legitimately, wanted to know if it was legal.

I, like you, feel that if I purchase something, I should be able to watch it (or listen to it) whenever/where ever I want. As long I don't sell it, or redistribute it, I should be okay to copy and put on any device I own. If I buy a CD and want to put those songs onto my MP3 player, or my phone, I can do so legally. Or if I purchase a song online, I can burn it on a CD and listen in my car (an old Honda Civic). I just assumed the same went for a movie purchase, but as I realized the hoops I had to jump through in order to watch them, it made me wonder.

I guess, ultimately, I wish there was a service or app or something that would allow for movie rentals on BB.

Oh, by the way... my brother has an ipod touch, I borrowed that and watched the movies during my flight.
    07-09-11 11:18 AM
    Ok, so here is the story. I had to go on a long trip, and I don't care for flying all that much. I was talking to my brother about it and he said to rent a couple of movies and watch them during the flight. He has an iphone so he watches movies on it all the time. I thought it was a great idea.

I later found out that, as a BB owner, neither itunes nor amazon rentals work on BB's. So I figured that if I buy a movie I'd have the right to watch it on whatever device I choose; but as I looked into the purchase I found out about this whole DRM thing and that you still cannot watch the movie on BB. I then found all of the DRM removal software online and it made me wonder if it was legal to remove the DRM. This was the point that I posted the question.

So in reply to our belief that I was hoping for somebody to tell me how, you misinterpreted my post. I'd already found how to do it before I posted the question; I knew it can be done, I just, legitimately, wanted to know if it was legal.

I, like you, feel that if I purchase something, I should be able to watch it (or listen to it) whenever/where ever I want. As long I don't sell it, or redistribute it, I should be okay to copy and put on any device I own. If I buy a CD and want to put those songs onto my MP3 player, or my phone, I can do so legally. Or if I purchase a song online, I can burn it on a CD and listen in my car (an old Honda Civic). I just assumed the same went for a movie purchase, but as I realized the hoops I had to jump through in order to watch them, it made me wonder.

I guess, ultimately, I wish there was a service or app or something that would allow for movie rentals on BB.

Oh, by the way... my brother has an ipod touch, I borrowed that and watched the movies during my flight.
    Aight then fair enough. Here's the thing, what's the point going thru all of that hassle when there's tons of movie links in this thread? Doesn't cost you a penny. You don't have to worry about converter settings and the what not. Can't find the movie you want? Make a request.
    I understand everything you said and it sounds good and all. You sure was going along way out of your way to get an easy result. Jmho.

07-09-11 02:18 PM
    Aight then fair enough. Here's the thing, what's the point going thru all of that hassle when there's tons of movie links in this thread? Doesn't cost you a penny. You don't have to worry about converter settings and the what not. Can't find the movie you want? Make a request.
    I understand everything you said and it sounds good and all. You sure was going along way out of your way to get an easy result. Jmho.

Truthfully... I'm just not that smart. I seem to always do things the hard way.
    07-09-11 09:16 PM
    Truthfully... I'm just not that smart. I seem to always do things the hard way.
    I don't buy that. You manged to start this thread in the proper sub forum on a multi sum forum site. That in itself suggest some sort of understanding and ability to figure something out. It also shows your understanding how things work. Someone that is clueless will post in the general section or God knows where.

07-10-11 12:40 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD